VST Plugins crash Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Edgar Bueltemeyer

VST Plugins crash Resolve

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 11:09 am

Hello,

i am having problems with VST plugins. They crash Davinci Resolve.
Here's what happens:

Using TDR Kotelnikov (http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/) which is a great compressor plugin, plus it's free as an example.

-Open a new project.
-import one clip
-create a timeline
-put the plugin on the Audio TRACK
-you can open the plugin in the Inspector and edit it's settings
... so far so good.
-save the project
-close Resolve
-reopen Resolve
-reopen the project
-click on the track
-click on the plugin settings in the inspector
-CRASH! *#@!!

So far i don't know if this is related to specific plugins. Some plugins just crash Resolve directly.
The TDR Plugins (Kotelnikov, SlickEQ, Nova) work the first time. This is a bummer. Using those 3 plugins one can solve 90% of all audio tasks. They are very very high quality.

Can someone try to reproduce this?
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

I'm on Windows 10 build 10240.

Regards
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

John Paines

Re: VST Plugins crash Resolve

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Yes, the Kotelnikov plugin (didn't try the others) crashes the system after saving the file, reopening, selecting the clip with the plugin added and going into the Inspector. Win7.

Most other VST plugins crash immediately, which at least keeps the user out of trouble. Are any VST plugins working in R12? Last I heard there were problems with izotope as well.
Last edited by John Paines on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Willis

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm

I had problems with it too on Mac. I guess the plugin is just out of date?
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 am

Hi!

I tried many different VST plugins and that lead to a variety of problems:
The setup was: One Stereo Audio Track. Effect plugin on the MASTER TRACK.

1. Some directly crash Resolve right away
2. Some switch off the right channel
3. As soon as you put a plugin on the Master track the Audio Meters from the Audio Track show no signal anymore.
4. NONE of my plugins survive the test from the first post (insert plugin; save; reopen;open plugin GUI)
5. Though you can use resolves integrated sliders in the inspector.
6. Some (e.g. MCompressor from Melda) make the overall GUI sluggisch. (switch to Color page and back)

That's a bummer. I switched to resolve and now have a project that has about 20 interviews to edit and i need at least a compressor plugin on the master track.
Why is there NONE official statement from Blackmagic about this? Issues with VST plugins are there for a long time.
No list of compatible plugins. No statement about bugs. No statement if someone works on this.
Nothing....

:( :( :( :(
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Macbook Air M1

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello,

i now installed the new 12.5.1 Update.

Just wanted to say that the same problems occur. Nothing changed about VST plugins as far as i can see.
Had to switch back to Adobe Premiere for my current project as it is required to edit the audio inside the NLE project because of budget and time constraints.

Regards
--
Macbook Air M1

Klaus May

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

I tried the reaplugs suite (very useful free plugins which are part of REAPER) in Resolve and also got lots of crashes. It's not a big issue for me as I write my own music and therefore most audio processing is done in my DAW. But having a quick compressor or EQ on an audio track would still be nice. An improved and crash-free VST implementation would really be nice.

Shimon Galiley

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 pm

I've been having the exact same problem with audio plugins. The TDR plugins work exactly the way you described. I've also tried Blue Cat. With the Blue Cat EQ - which always works perfectly the first time, before saving and closing - it says it can't find the correct skin, then crashes.

I've also noticed that a number of audio plugins don't seem to work in default mode, no matter how you adjust them. Once you put them in another mode, i.e. warm bus vocal, it suddenly starts working and you can adjust it to your heart's content.

I love Resolve, but I hope this can be addressed. It makes a huge difference to be able to EQ and compress dialogue right in the program. Right now I just make the audio tweaking my final step, so I can just do it in one session.

andygrabo

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:21 pm

I am using TDR Nova in Resolve, which hasn't crashed once. However, alot of other VST plugins have given me a lot of headache (and crashes). I might try out the TDR compressor as reference.

Windows 10 64bit, Resolve 12.5

andygrabo

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 am

...aaaand it crashes. Sad.
Resolve is a blessing when it comes to color work, but not having even the most basic audio functionality is a serious disadvantage.

Simon Brown

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 am

I've had these problems too, along with the problem that while some plugins do work, their UIs stop working once Resolve is closed and reopened. It's still possible to modify properties from the Inspector panel but with any halfway complicated plugin this is a long way from ideal.

Robert James

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 4:03 pm

DR's VST system is a mess. It could be argued it's weakest area. Along with little to no HDPI support.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

groomedmonkey

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:46 pm

Hmm almost 2022 and Resolve's VST implementation is still rubbish. Sometimes they just stop working, other times Resolve seems to become unstable and crashes to desktop. The audio stuff is so bad that I think its better to export stems and do the "proper audio processing" in a DAW.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 am

groomedmonkey wrote:Sometimes they just stop working, other times Resolve seems to become unstable and crashes to desktop.
Is this on Windows or macOS? VST2.4 or VST3?
Consider including a system spec in your signature.

If the application crashes, post a link to logs to assist in determining if the host crashed or the plugin itself.

Instructions on posting logs is provided in the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve