DVCPRO HD not viewable in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ray Argall

DVCPRO HD not viewable in Resolve

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 8:45 am

Hello,

I've been having trouble bringing DVCPRO HD footage from a P2 camera into Resolve.

I can navigate to the files but when I select a clip I’m getting a green screen with video noise - the audio is there, but picture obviously not resolving. The metadata on clip says 1440x1080-8b/25fps. I've tried right click to Clip attributes and checked Pixel Aspect Ratio is on DVCPRO HD but this makes no difference. These clips have been captured from P2 Deck through Log and transfer in FCP.

However, if I navigate to the MXF video files from the P2 card material they register in Resolve, but the metadata shows a resolution of 1920x1080-8b and codec as P2 DVC Pro - which is weird as DVCPRO from the camera is 1440 x 1080.

It's worth noting I have the same problem if I navigate to an AVCIntra clip (shot on P2 camera and ingested through FCP) where I get a purple or red screen with video noise. Metadata identifies as 1920x1080-10b 25fps.

I did a test converting a DVCPRO clip to Prores 422 in Compressor, and this played in Resolve (metadata identifies as 1440x1080-10b 25fps and clip attributes as DVCPRO HD provide correct image). I'm hoping this problem I'm having is a MOE on my behalf (Massive Operator Error) and there is a more direct way to work with DVCPRO and AVCIntra material!

It'd be great to come direct from the MXF files and apply a LUT, but there is no audio so it creates another workflow to synch up audio which sort of defeats the purpose.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Ray
2019 Mac Pro, 3.3ghz 12 core, 96GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580X + RX Vega64 8GB HBM2, Catalina

JPOwens

Re: DVCPRO HD not viewable in Resolve

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Are you trying to access the original source footage to grade dailies eventually to edit in another NLE, or attempt an end-to-end workflow? Or is this edited material being round-tripped?

Can't comment on DVCProHD in MXF as I usually saw it in a .mov container, whereas Panasonic AVCIntra in MXF has not been previously supported by Resolve. Went 5 seasons of a series converting to DnXHD for that reason. I occasionally see something like this with mp4 Quicktimes where the OS will present the file, but Resolve is very intermittent with being unable to decode it consistently. (Picture with flashes of missing frames/green flashes).

jPO

Ray Argall

Re: DVCPRO HD not viewable in Resolve

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 2:21 am

Hi jPO,

Thanks for the response. Yes I'm trying to access original source material, editing in FCP 7 and I usually do a round trip using xml files to match up when returning to Resolve. In an ideal world I output from Resolve to ProRes proxy files keeping same details as source files and bring an xml back into Resolve. Works fine when working with BM files from BMCC or BMPCC. The round trip Resolve>FCP is not perfect but I'm not looking at editing in Resolve. I haven't had issues with AVCIntra files before as I've originally ingested them as ProResHQ through log and xfer in FCP and Resolve is dealing with the HQ files not AVCi.

As always it's trying to minimise the amount of files you create and duplicate throughout post... I can see you've gone the conversion route to address compatibility with Resolve in the past, I'm going to try another test process and will report back. I guess I'm surprised that the MXF source material plays in Resolve, but the .mov files created from that source material don't.

All the best,

Ray
2019 Mac Pro, 3.3ghz 12 core, 96GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580X + RX Vega64 8GB HBM2, Catalina

Return to DaVinci Resolve