Question re Disks Installation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Moore

Question re Disks Installation

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi there,
Before I get into a project I just wanted to check that I have everything configured correctly.
And that I understand the structure.

You will see from the images attached that my file "Resolve9 Beta Base" is in my Movies folder on my MacBook Pro.
This folder is for DaVinci Resolve9 Settings - which includes Users, configurations, project colour data and project stills thumbnails? Is that correct? It will not take much space on the internal disks as it fills correct?

I have another folder called "Resolve 9 Beta Scratch". (I made this hurriedly when I was in the process of installing Resolve9 - I hadn't expected to need a second folder.)
This is also located on my MacBook in Movies. I am wondering if this is where Proxies are placed - and in that case I shouldn't have it on my MacBook Pro. It should be on my external Raid drive. As that could use a lot of space.

From the Database Manager I see that it points to my "Resolve 9 Beta Base". So that's good isn't it.

My Question is If Resolve is going to use my "Resolve 9 Beta Scratch" folder for automatically putting Proxies into then I need to move that folder to the external Raid drive.
If I do need to what's the procedure to do that.

Have I misunderstood?
Can I delete the "Resolve9 Beta Scratch" folder altogether from the list in the Resolve Library?
Where do the proxies go then?

Am I setup and understanding the structure right or wrong.

Thank you for your time

Best Wishes

John
Attachments
1i2  Folders.png
"Resolve 9 Beta Base" is the folder Resolve uses for User Settings and Proxies (located on MacBook Pro's internal disk drive)
"Resolve 9 Beta Scratch" is the folder Resolve uses for User Settings and Thumbnails? (located on MacBook Pro's internal disk drive)
1i2 Folders.png (470.39 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
4 Database Manager.png
Database Manager points to "Resolve 9 Beta Base" as first and only item
4 Database Manager.png (55.84 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
3 Resolve Available disks.png
As seen in DaVinci Resolve 9
3 Resolve Available disks.png (35.29 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

Hresna

Re: Question re Disks Installation

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Resolve proxy and cache locations are set up per project in the project settings (shift-9). It will default to something but you can set up it up for a particular project and make it a default preset.

For larger projects I like to set up a unique folder on the scratch disk so I can clear the cache manually (by deleting the folder) more easily.

Resolve will run jus fine if you delete its cache folder. Same with proxies, although it will probably throw you an error that the proxies can’t be located.

Return to DaVinci Resolve