Color space for exporting to premier then youtube

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Benjamin de Menil

Color space for exporting to premier then youtube

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 1:13 am

Hello,

I have RAW DNGs shot on Bolex D16 and BMMCC. I'm grading the video in Resolve, and using Premier as my editor.

I have a Quadro K2200 video card, and an NEC PA272W monitor.

I'm confused about how to handle colorspace. My monitor has both calibrated sRGB, and Adobe RGB options. I have it set to Adobe RGB.

I think that both Resolve and Premier are in Rec 709 colorspace. The clips themselves are in BMD colorspace.

I'd like the final output to be as consistent as possible for YouTube across a variety of platforms. I've noticed the clips don't seem to translate between Resolve and Premier. What it looks like is that premier is showing the clips with less gamma - ie they look like they have a bit less contrast. I think this happens regardless of the intermediate file format. It's in any case very apparent with exported DNxHR 444 files.

Any advice on what my setup/ workflow should be for getting a final output that matches my Davinci Resolve grade?

Thanks and sorry for the long newbie question.

Ben

Willian Aleman

Re: Color space for exporting to premier then youtube

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 1:50 pm

For the web, I set the Master Project Settings >Color Science< to YRGB.
In the Delivery page, I export the project to Apple ProRes 4444.
For Broadcast, use Rec.709.

Believe me, it makes a different in quality when you export to 4444.
Then, for Youtube, upload, without previous compression, the file to Youtube and follow
their recommended set up. If you compress before uploading the file, youtube is going to recompress the file, which is not good in terms of the quality. So upload the original exported file.

If you have a pay Youtube account they allow you to manipulate the bitrate parameters and others beyond their default setting.
With the free account you are not going to see the option to change the parameters, Youtube is in control of the compression, which is not ideal in terms of the quality.

Hope this helps
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks.

I'm planning to you DNxHD 444 to pass graded files to Premier, and then do a final encoding from Premier - which I find easier to work with as an editor. I don't think that the effects and transitions I make in premier can be re-imported in Resolve unless I add yet another step of encoding...

But are you suggesting it would be better to re-import the premier export into resolve for a final grade?

Willian Aleman

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Yes, because DR as a dedicated color grading tool as it's offers better tools for this task.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Willian Aleman wrote:Yes, because DR as a dedicated color grading tool as it's offers better tools for this task.

What I was hoping is that I'd do my final grade in resolve on the original clips, link those to my edit in premier, and then use premier for final encoding. So I wouldn't use premier for grading. But I also wouldn't have to add the extra encoding of a return trip from premier to resolve. I know I could export my premier sequence to Resolve, but then my transitions and effects would be lost.

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Willian Aleman wrote:For the web, I set the Master Project Settings >Color Science< to YRGB.

I'm working with Resolve 12 on windows. I don't see YRGB as an option. There is sRGB and Y'UV.

Also, I am using DNxHR 444 as an intermediate file type. I tried exporting with Resolve set to sRGB instead of rec709. It makes no difference to how the image displays in Premier. In Premier, the images exported from Resolve still appear to have less contrast/gamma.

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 10:35 pm

In addition, if I re-encode the files in premier and open the re-encoded files in Resolve, in Resolve too the contrast appears reduced. If, however, I pull a file that Resolve has encoded back into resolve, it matches the original grade.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun May 01, 2016 1:08 am

Benjamin de Menil wrote:
Willian Aleman wrote:For the web, I set the Master Project Settings >Color Science< to YRGB.

I'm working with Resolve 12 on windows. I don't see YRGB as an option. There is sRGB and Y'UV.

Also, I am using DNxHR 444 as an intermediate file type. I tried exporting with Resolve set to sRGB instead of rec709. It makes no difference to how the image displays in Premier. In Premier, the images exported from Resolve still appear to have less contrast/gamma.

set your monitor for sRGB, most of the devices out there target that color space, Adobe RGB is for desktop printings, not video.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Willian Aleman

PostSun May 01, 2016 7:01 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Benjamin de Menil wrote:

set your monitor for sRGB, most of the devices out there target that color space, Adobe RGB is for desktop printings, not video.

I tbeleive the original poster is asking for the color space setting within DR, not just the external monitor.
Having the external monitor set to the right color space, in this instance sRGB for the web, would result in a mismatching color target between the two: DR and the External monitor.
And yes, for the web use the external monitor as Walter recommends.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio

MarcusWolschon

PostMon May 02, 2016 5:25 am

are you confusing YouTube and Vimeo? YouTube doesn't have pay accounts.
Yes it accepts ProRes.
But why 4444 and not 422HQ? You don't need an alpha channel.

Is there a way to dither 10bit color into 8bit before uploading? So visible banding in smooth fog,... that appears in 8bit can be reduced like we did in our younger days of 16 and 256 color graphics chips?

Benjamin de Menil

PostMon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Willian Aleman wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Having the external monitor set to the right color space, in this instance sRGB for the web, would result in a mismatching color target between the two: DR and the External monitor.
And yes, for the web use the external monitor as Walter recommends.

OK, so I will set both Resolve and monitor to sRGB. But what about Premier? There doesn't seem to be a setting for color space in premier. In any case, I tried exporting from Resolve in sRGB, and still ran into the same gamma shift when the files were imported to premier. The gamma shift is actual rather than an issue with monitoring, because if I then export from premier and re-import into Resolve, the gamma shift is visible in resolve too.

Because my edits in premier use effects that do not translate to resolve, I can't just export an xml from premier. I have to actually encode.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 02, 2016 1:13 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:are you confusing YouTube and Vimeo? YouTube doesn't have pay accounts.
Yes it accepts ProRes.

Is there a way to dither 10bit color into 8bit before uploading? So visible banding in smooth fog,... that appears in 8bit can be reduced like we did in our younger days of 16 and 256 color graphics chips?

Dithering is is something which doesn't really exist in pro solutions (not sure why).
You can do it, but you need some open source tools like avisynth.
I've used this for Blu-ray and DVD releases and in some cases it was giving day and night differences.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusWolschon

PostMon May 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:are you confusing YouTube and Vimeo? YouTube doesn't have pay accounts.
Yes it accepts ProRes.

Dithered is is something which doesn't really exist in pro solutions (not sure why).
You can do it, but you need some open source tools like avisynth.
I've used this for Blu-ray and DVD releases and in some cases it was giving day and night differences.

do you know anything for Mac?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 02, 2016 1:26 pm

I think Fusion has (at least had) some option, but it's based on basic algorithm.

Vapoursynth (which is modern version of avisynth) will do it well, but you need to compile it yourself for Mac.

Craig Marshall

PostMon May 02, 2016 1:29 pm

if you are seeing banding on Youtube, did you try raising the encode bitrate? I've found best results are achieved exporting uncompressed Masters then using dedicated and optimised YT/Vimeo encoders. (I have yet to try Resolve 12.5's dedicated YT/Vimeo presets.)
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Paul Willis

PostMon May 02, 2016 3:48 pm

This sounds like an issue with DNxHD handling in Premiere. I can replicate this on my mac if I render to DNxHD and run that back into premiere. The image is correct if brought back into Resolve, but looks wrong in Premiere.

This was discussed here a while back:

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/inde ... iere.5737/

Everything works fine with DNxHR HQ for me though, 444 comes in wrong. Make sure you try DNxHR HQ as I'm seeing good results with that.

Premiere has no controllable colour management, it expects Rec.709 source and doesn't deliberately shift gamma.

A few notes on your workflow anyway:

Your monitor profile should be sRGB, this is standard for computer displays - this affects everything you're seeing and wont make resolve or premiere look different. Just put it on default if you haven't got a calibrated profile.

In Resolve - set colour science to DaVinci YRGB (master project settings) - this turns off colour management as you really don't need it for what you're doing.

On a mac there is a 'use mac display profile for viewers' option that should be off in this case. Does this option exist on windows yet? Turn if off it it does.

Try playing the files back in VLC, do they look the same as in resolve?

For now make sure you've tried DNxHR HQ or HQX.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue May 03, 2016 11:28 pm

I tried DNxHRX, and I still am getting a slight gamma mismatch between Davinci and Premier. See the attached screenshot - Davinci on the left, Premier on the right.

Ben

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue May 03, 2016 11:53 pm

ps - I have set my monitor to sRGB and Resolve to YRGB.

I've now also tried in DNxHR HQ. All the DNxHR formats look the same in Premier - all seem to have a slightly different gamma curve to Davinci's.

VLC Player doesn't have the codecs to decode DNx videos - so I can't check on that player...

Does DNxHR HQ default to 10bit on Resolve?

Martin Schitter

PostWed May 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:VLC Player doesn't have the codecs to decode DNx videos - so I can't check on that player...

the actual release of VLC (2.2.3) does not come with actual ffmpeg/libav libraries to decode DNxHR, but DNxHD in .mov containers should work. i'm quite sure, that DNxHR decoding will be supported in the next release very soon as well. in the meanwhile you could use mpv as a good alternative utilizing more recent decoding libraries. actual releases of mpv should be able to play DNxHR and DNxHD.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:I tried DNxHRX, and I still am getting a slight gamma mismatch between Davinci and Premier. See the attached screenshot - Davinci on the left, Premier on the right.

Ben

Are you on Pc or Mac?
What version of Adobe are you on?
There should be no shifts at all. I don't see any for DNxHD/HR (422 or 444). I'm testing on Mac, Premiere CC 2015 (9.00).

You may have to manually add entries for DNxHR codec into Adobe xml codec rules file in order to be able to import/export it in MOV at 10bit. It uses AVdh fourcc, so you can copy lines for DNxHD (AVdn) and just change fourcc.

Do you judge shifts base don the way how video does look in the preview? This is not very accurate way.
Take some source file, export in Resolve to DNxHR and than load source and this file in Premiere and compare them (put both into separate layers and switch). There should be no visible difference at all at.

Paul Willis

PostWed May 04, 2016 2:40 pm

If whatever you render out then looks the same when imported back into Resolve, then I can't see how there are any issues with Resolves setup or viewer.

This still sounds Premiere's handling of DNxHD/HR so you might need to post on their forums too. As I said before, there are no settings for controlling input gamma or colour space for Premiere, so when it does mess things up users usually have to do a manual adjustment to gamma within premiere, or re-map the black and white points with levels.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu May 05, 2016 11:32 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Are you on Pc or Mac?
What version of Adobe are you on?
There should be no shifts at all. I don't see any for DNxHD/HR (422 or 444). I'm testing on Mac, Premiere CC 2015 (9.00).

I'm on a Windows 7 PC with Premier CC 2015

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You may have to manually add entries for DNxHR codec into Adobe xml codec rules file in order to be able to import/export it in MOV at 10bit. It uses AVdh fourcc, so you can copy lines for DNxHD (AVdn) and just change fourcc.

How do I do this?

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Do you judge shifts base don the way how video does look in the preview? This is not very accurate way.
Take some source file, export in Resolve to DNxHR and than load source and this file in Premiere and compare them (put both into separate layers and switch). There should be no visible difference at all at.

The source files are RAW DNGs from Digital Bolex and BMMCC. The Bolex files Premier debayers with the wrong color space, the BMMCC's compressed RAW, Premier can't open at all. So there's no way to run that comparison. Besides, if Premier interprets gamma differently on the source files as well, this test won't reveal much.

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu May 05, 2016 11:34 am

Paul Willis wrote:If whatever you render out then looks the same when imported back into Resolve, then I can't see how there are any issues with Resolves setup or viewer.

This still sounds Premiere's handling of DNxHD/HR so you might need to post on their forums too. As I said before, there are no settings for controlling input gamma or colour space for Premiere, so when it does mess things up users usually have to do a manual adjustment to gamma within premiere, or re-map the black and white points with levels.

Sounds like this is what I'll have to do for now. It does seem likely that the issue is with Premier.

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu May 05, 2016 12:12 pm

... might monitoring through a decklink card resolve this issue?

Paul Willis

PostThu May 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:... might monitoring through a decklink card resolve this issue?

It wont fix this particular issue. Something is being translated incorrectly on import into Premiere. The way the Premiere viewer works is much the same as Resolve, It's a 'what you see is what you get' situation - what you monitor in premiere or resolve is what you should see when exported and viewed on a computer display. If you're interested in how it will look on TV or broadcast, you need a mini monitor or similar device hooked up to a TV/broadcast monitor. What you see on your software viewers isn't necessarily what you'll get if you're delivering for TV.

Have you tried just exporting a h264 from resolve and playing that back in VLC? Not at all suitable for your workflow, but it should show you that what's coming out of resolve is fine.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Do you judge shifts base don the way how video does look in the preview? This is not very accurate way.

The source files are RAW DNGs from Digital Bolex and BMMCC. The Bolex files Premier debayers with the wrong color space, the BMMCC's compressed RAW, Premier can't open at all. So there's no way to run that comparison. Besides, if Premier interprets gamma differently on the source files as well, this test won't reveal much.

Use different source (e.g. ProRes, 10bit uncompressed) just to see if it's Premiere issues with importing DNxHR.
RAW is not really good for such a test- to many variables.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:48 pm

There is an issue, but it's Resolve issue :)

When you export DNxHR 444 ( or HQ/HQX etc) make sure you set Data Levels to Full in Video Advanced settings.
When you do this than DNxHR 444 looks the same as ProRes444 and Premiere preview matches Resolve preview.

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri May 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There is an issue, but it's Resolve issue :)

When you export DNxHR 444 ( or HQ/HQX etc) make sure you set Data Levels to Full in Video Advanced settings.
When you do this than DNxHR 444 looks the same as ProRes444 and Premiere preview matches Resolve preview.

There don't seem to be any 'advanced settings' in my version of Davinci. I have a screenshot of my settings that this board won't let me upload - apparantly I've reached my quota with two images over 12 months. Here's a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdemenil/ ... posted-ff/

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri May 06, 2016 9:55 pm

I ran some more tests. H.264 renders fine. When I import a Resolve rendered H.264 file into premier, it looks just as it did in resolve.

If I use a Prores sources, and render it in DNxHR on resolve without any correction, and then compare the resulting file to the Prores source Premier, the DNxHR file is gamma shifted.

If I import the DNxHR file back into resolve, it displays with the correct gamma.

So I conclude that Resolve and Premier apply different Gamma to DNxHR files.

I tried DNxHR 444 with the same results.

As an aside, with Resolve, I don't seem to have any control over quality settings of DNxHR exports. Even when the encode quality setting mysteriously appears (occasionally when resolve starts up it will be there), if I set the encode quality to Medium instead of Best, the resulting file size is the same, and the appearance too.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat May 07, 2016 1:08 am

if you do a dnx 422, di you see the shift?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat May 07, 2016 8:35 am

Benjamin de Menil wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There is an issue, but it's Resolve issue :)

There don't seem to be any 'advanced settings' in my version of Davinci. I have a screenshot of my settings that this board won't let me upload - apparantly I've reached my quota with two images over 12 months. Here's a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdemenil/ ... posted-ff/

Setting is visible on your image: Video/Data Level, set it to Data.
Resolve 12.5 on Mac uses different naming.

You also need to add DNxHR to Adobe codecs rule xml file, so it's read/exported at 10bit:

Add these lines to xml file:

<QTCodec codec='AVdh' vendor='****' platform='windows' direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb'/>
<QTCodec codec='AVdh' vendor='****' platform='windows' direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb'/>

Xml file should be here:

[drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

It's an xml file, so make sure you did not destroy structure (drag to your internet browser and see if it loads properly). If this is not the case delete it and restart Premiere- this will create new (original) one. When you edit file you have to restart Premiere/AME/AE in order to read new settings.

When you export with AME than in Video tab find Depth setting and you should see few choices- use 64bit.
Another test to see if changes are fine is to load DNxHR file to AE and you should see that it says Trillions of Colors (not Millions).

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat May 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Thank you very much Andrew. I'll try this and follow up with the results.

Benjamin de Menil

PostWed May 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Setting is visible on your image: Video/Data Level, set it to Data.
Resolve 12.5 on Mac uses different naming.

I upgraded to 12.5 beta, Data levels to full, updated the adobe XML files.... And it looks good!!!

Thanks so much for your help Andrew, and thanks also to the others that helped trouble shoot this.

Ben

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 12, 2016 8:42 am

And you have 64bit option in Adobe Encoder Depth setting and does After Effects show Trillion Colors when you import DNxHR file?

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi. Another question regarding this workflow.

I've created proxies in Resolve, and edited with them in Premiere. Then I exported the XML from Premiere back into Resolve. I can't do my final edit in Resolve because it's not able to do some of the effects I had running in Premiere, so I'd like to now export high quality intermediate files from Resolve, and relink the Premiere edit clips to the high quality files.

But the problem is that when I export the graded files from Resolve, the new files now are just the parts of the original clips that were used in the edit. So they don't correspond to the original proxies. I wanted to grade from the edit XML because that allowed me to grade clips in the sequence that they would actually appear. How can I get this workflow working?

Thanks in advance...

Peter Cave

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Have a look in the manual for " Round trip workflow" it may help you understand how to make your workflow.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 4:08 pm

one technique I've used is to export XML from premier to davinci, grade in davinci, then export back to premier. The issue is that since I am cutting up clips in premier, the clips exported from davinici no longer correspond in length to the clips in premier. So i have to re-assemble the timeline in premier. An for a timeline with complex layering, fades, and edits, this can be time consuming.

Another issue is that I do a rough resolve grade to the original clips when I create proxies. When I export the XML from premier to resolve, I'm linking an anew to the ungraded clips, and so lose the settings from my rough grade.

Return to DaVinci Resolve