DNxHR in QT or VLC player issues?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Ortiz

DNxHR in QT or VLC player issues?

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Hey all, so I'm having issues in Resolve 12.5 with exporting to DNxHR. It won't play in the latest VLC, and with the latest QT player it plays choppy and stutters.

BUT if I export to DNxHD, there's no issue it plays perfectly fine. I want to export to DNxHR for 2k and 4k for master copies. Then I can always export 1080p, etc. for web delivery.

And the odd thing though is I can export to DNxHR 444 and playback in QT is fine, and won't work in VLC. But if I export to DNxHR HQ/HQX it won't work in QT or VLC under the same settings.

I'm editing Raw R3D files on a PC with Windows 10; i7 5960x/32gb/gtx980-4gb. I also downloaded the latest Avid Quicktime Codecs LE v 2.7.1 as well

Any ideas? I appreciate the help

Martin Schitter

Re: DNxHR in QT or VLC player issues?

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:Hey all, so I'm having issues in Resolve 12.5 with exporting to DNxHR. It won't play in the latest VLC, and with the latest QT player it plays choppy and stutters.

VLC actually uses quite old ffmpg libraries, because of mutithreading GUI toolkit incompatibilities.

take look at mpv and some of its GUI wrappers (bomi, baka, SMPlayer). it's much more efficient (=hardware accelerated) and supports additional new codecs (like DNxHR).

Rafael Ortiz

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:Hey all, so I'm having issues in Resolve 12.5 with exporting to DNxHR. It won't play in the latest VLC, and with the latest QT player it plays choppy and stutters.

VLC actually uses quite old ffmpg libraries, because of mutithreading GUI toolkit incompatibilities.

take look at mpv and some of its GUI wrappers (bomi, baka, SMPlayer). it's much more efficient (=hardware accelerated) and supports additional new codecs (like DNxHR).

Great I'll have to check this out later today. Hopefully this solves my issues of DNxHR playback.
I understand QT is no longer getting updates and support by Apple. And it seems VLC hasn't updated their coding to allow DNxHR playback. And windows media player is useless too.

I looked at AVI/AVI uncompressed but the export options were lower quality compared to DNxHR. I didn't bother using this either. And H.264/mpeg4/etc. are poor options too, unless web delivery at 1080p. But I rather not deal with those codecs.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 pm

The only player that handles 4k dnxhr is media player classic from k lite codek pack
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Martin Schitter

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:The only player that handles 4k dnxhr is media player classic from k lite codek pack

i just did another short proof:

UHD output from resolve in DNxHR HQ actually works in mpv as well!
it does not matter if comes in quicktime .mov containers or MFX op1a, both will play.

12bit DNxHR 444 and HQX is not supported in both containers by mpv and other ffmpeg based players right now.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:
Martin Schitter wrote:

Great I'll have to check this out later today. Hopefully this solves my issues of DNxHR playback.
I understand QT is no longer getting updates and support by Apple. And it seems VLC hasn't updated their coding to allow DNxHR playback. And windows media player is useless too.

I looked at AVI/AVI uncompressed but the export options were lower quality compared to DNxHR. I didn't bother using this either. And H.264/mpeg4/etc. are poor options too, unless web delivery at 1080p. But I rather not deal with those codecs.

Uncompressed can't be worse than DNxHR (assuming same bit depth and color sampling) as DNxHR is compressed (for eye both should look the same).

You seams to have problems with player.

For DNxHR you can use MPC HC:

https://mpc-hc.org/downloads/

or you can invest in Switch player, which does many other things:

http://www.telestream.net/switch/compare.htm

you need PRO version for DNxHR. Other version will also play it, but there will be logo in the video.

Another option:

http://www.mtifilm.com/cortex-dit

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:For DNxHR you can use MPC HC:

https://mpc-hc.org/downloads/

or you can invest in Switch player, which does many other things:

http://www.telestream.net/switch/compare.htm

you need PRO version for DNxHR. Other version will also play it, but there will be logo in the video.

Another option:

http://www.mtifilm.com/cortex-dit

thanks!
Last edited by Ignacio de La Cierva on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Schitter

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

you also have to look for for good hardware acceleration, quality of scaling, automatic display frequency adjustment, and multiplatform support etc., if you want to compare the available solutions in a more objective way. ;)

Rafael Ortiz

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Great! I appreciate everyone's feedback, I will test them out and see what results I get. Hopefully it works out in my favor.

Thanks!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:you also have to look for for good hardware acceleration, quality of scaling, automatic display frequency adjustment, and multiplatform support etc., if you want to compare the available solutions in a more objective way. ;)

Scratch Play does all of it (including 10bit over PRO GPU cards), but I think DNxHR is not there yet.

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 am

Ok guys so I downloaded MPC-HC, and when drag a DNxHR video I get the following error.

"LAV Splitter Source(Internal)::Video"

And a bunch of source codes underneath that I don't understand.

But if I play a DNxHD it will play fine.

Next step?

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:01 am

So I just got done with some testings. Here are my results, I did both Resolve 12.5 and for kicks I did Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 as well.

Resolve 12.5

DNxHR-444
w/QT= Good; plays fine
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= No good

DNxHR-HQX
w/QT= No good
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= No good

DNxHR-HQ
w/QT= No good
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= Good; plays fine

-----------------------------------

Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

DNxHR-444
w/QT=No good
w/MPV= Good; plays fine
w/MPC-HC= No good

DNxHR(10-bit)
w/QT= No good; ugly blockly pixels
w/MPV=No good; ugly blockly pixels
w/MPC-HC= No good; ugly blocky pixels

This is tedious just to get the right media player to get playback working.

Martin Schitter

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 am

Rafael Ortiz wrote:So I just got done with some testings. Here are my results, ...

you can work around the DNxHR 444 and HQX issues in mpv by adding the command line option:
Code: Select all
 --vd-lavc-o=strict=experimental

using this option i can play all DNxHR variants exported by resolve in mpv.

12bit DNxHR/DNxHR support was disabled for ffmpeg by this commit:

https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit ... f92bba14a4

i will send them some affected samples. i hope, they will fix it soon.

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:So I just got done with some testings. Here are my results, ...

you can work around the DNxHR 444 and HQX issues in mpv by adding the command line option:
 --vd-lavc-o=strict=experimental

using this option i can play all DNxHR variants exported by resolve in mpv.

12bit DNxHR/DNxHR support was disabled for ffmpeg by this commit:

https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit ... f92bba14a4

i will send them some affected samples. i hope, they will fix it soon.

Awesome, I will try that. How do I get to that area to type that command line? I'm not that technical with stuff like that.

Martin Schitter

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:How do I get to that area to type that command line? I'm not that technical with stuff like that.

if you not like typing on the keyboard, you could simply add this option to the default setup.

just edit or create the textfile "C:\users\USERNAME\Application Data\mpv\mpv.conf" and add the line:
vd-lavc-o=strict=experimental

you will find more about this customization possibilities in the manual: https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Great, I'll take a look and try it out today. And see what my results are.

Thanks!

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:How do I get to that area to type that command line? I'm not that technical with stuff like that.

if you not like typing on the keyboard, you could simply add this option to the default setup.

just edit or create the textfile "C:\users\USERNAME\Application Data\mpv\mpv.conf" and add the line:
vd-lavc-o=strict=experimental

you will find more about this customization possibilities in the manual: https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

Does typing the "--" matter before the VD ?

Martin Schitter

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:Does typing the "--" matter before the VD ?

if you start mpv by typing on the command line, long form options usually have this two dashes in front of the option name, but in the configuration file exactly the the same option can be set in this syntax without dashes.

(see: section "CONFIGURATION FILES" in the manual for examples and a more valid explanation.)

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Got it, thanks!

Eugene Afanasiev

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 6:20 pm

MPV is awesomely great! Didn't heard about it before, thanks!
__
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Rafael Ortiz

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Im having trouble trying to get to the command line. I'm searching through a bunch of folders and can't get to that area.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 1:06 am

Rafael Ortiz wrote:So I just got done with some testings. Here are my results, I did both Resolve 12.5 and for kicks I did Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 as well.

Resolve 12.5

DNxHR-444
w/QT= Good; plays fine
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= No good

DNxHR-HQX
w/QT= No good
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= No good

Can you detail your system config?

DNxHR-HQ
w/QT= No good
w/MPC-HC= No good
w/MPV= Good; plays fine

-----------------------------------

Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

DNxHR-444
w/QT=No good
w/MPV= Good; plays fine
w/MPC-HC= No good

DNxHR(10-bit)
w/QT= No good; ugly blockly pixels
w/MPV=No good; ugly blockly pixels
w/MPC-HC= No good; ugly blocky pixels

This is tedious just to get the right media player to get playback working.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Martin Schitter

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am

Rafael Ortiz wrote:Im having trouble trying to get to the command line. I'm searching through a bunch of folders and can't get to that area.

when i'm referring to the "command line", i'm not speaking about a hidden feature of this particular application, but about one of the most basic utilities of your operating system, to control the machine by a text terminal and start applications by verbal input.

otherwise you are very limited in your use of mpv. you can double click the application, or choose it from the application menu and drag files on the window, or you may select a video clip in the file browser, press the right mouse and choose the "open with mpv". but all this simple alternatives do not give you access to the vast number of more advanced options mentioned in the manual. to make use of the foll power of this application, you really have to get chummy with some form of command line use.

this may look very old fashioned and unattractive to many users nowadays. text terminals and confusing written command sequences just look frightening and deterring to them. but in fact it's a very powerful and efficient way to handle simple operations. as in other real life situations, it's often more useful to write down some words by textual means, instead of drawing funny iconic hieroglyphs. and it's not a strict either-or-decision. even if you like and use text terminals a lot, you may often simply drag icons from the file browser and drop it on your terminal windows as a simple shortcut instead of typing never ending and hard to memorize file paths and make use of both worlds and conveniences etc.

it's really useful get familiar with this kind of access. if you learn to overcome the initial anxieties and antipathies, you are on a straight path to handle stupid iterative daily routines in more efficient forms of batch scripting...

nevertheless i always feel some scruples, to praise all this benefits to much. it doesn't fit for everybody. that's why i usually also mention all those little helpers and GUI wrappers available for these applications, although i do not use/like them personally. everybody has to choose for himself, what looks most appropriate and comfortable to him and his actual needs.

it's just a little bit frustrating, if you realize how limited and inflexible all this workarounds tend to be in fact. like in the case of video converters, where pure ffmpeg is often much more powerful and suitable for many simple jobs, than all this myriads of GUI-wrappers build around, i often can not resist recommending the real thing.

but i'm afraid, that doesn't help you much. it's just a much to long explanation, why some of us favor exactly this kind of spartan user interface and simple control via command line invocation.

Rafael Ortiz

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 pm

I definitely understand your point of view. But I still need to know how to add that command line you posted.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:Im having trouble trying to get to the command line. I'm searching through a bunch of folders and can't get to that area.

when i'm referring to the "command line", i'm not speaking about a hidden feature of this particular application, but about one of the most basic utilities of your operating system, to control the machine by a text terminal and start applications by verbal input.

otherwise you are very limited in your use of mpv. you can double click the application, or choose it from the application menu and drag files on the window, or you may select a video clip in the file browser, press the right mouse and choose the "open with mpv". but all this simple alternatives do not give you access to the vast number of more advanced options mentioned in the manual. to make use of the foll power of this application, you really have to get chummy with some form of command line use.

this may look very old fashioned and unattractive to many users nowadays. text terminals and confusing written command sequences just look frightening and deterring to them. but in fact it's a very powerful and efficient way to handle simple operations. as in other real life situations, it's often more useful to write down some words by textual means, instead of drawing funny iconic hieroglyphs. and it's not a strict either-or-decision. even if you like and use text terminals a lot, you may often simply drag icons from the file browser and drop it on your terminal windows as a simple shortcut instead of typing never ending and hard to memorize file paths and make use of both worlds and conveniences etc.

it's really useful get familiar with this kind of access. if you learn to overcome the initial anxieties and antipathies, you are on a straight path to handle stupid iterative daily routines in more efficient forms of batch scripting...

nevertheless i always feel some scruples, to praise all this benefits to much. it doesn't fit for everybody. that's why i usually also mention all those little helpers and GUI wrappers available for these applications, although i do not use/like them personally. everybody has to choose for himself, what looks most appropriate and comfortable to him and his actual needs.

it's just a little bit frustrating, if you realize how limited and inflexible all this workarounds tend to be in fact. like in the case of video converters, where pure ffmpeg is often much more powerful and suitable for many simple jobs, than all this myriads of GUI-wrappers build around, i often can not resist recommending the real thing.

but i'm afraid, that doesn't help you much. it's just a much to long explanation, why some of us favor exactly this kind of spartan user interface and simple control via command line invocation.

Would you be so kind by providing us a step by step guide?
__

Martin Schitter

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Rafael Ortiz wrote:I definitely understand your point of view. But I still need to know how to add that command line you posted.

here is a little archive for you.

you have to extract it within the folder, where mpv is installed on your machine.
it only contains a subfolder called "portable_config" and a minimal "mpv.conf" setting this single option.
after this preparation, you can drag and drop DNxHR 444 and HQX files on mpv as usual...
Last edited by Martin Schitter on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafael Ortiz

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Yes please

Martin Schitter

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:Would you be so kind by providing us a step by step guide?

just the most important steps to use simple command line tools in a more useful way on windows machines:

1.) applications like 'ffmpeg' or 'mpv', that do not come with nifty installers, have to be added to the 'Path' envrionment variable by hand. otherwise you always have to type the full path to the executable, if you want to use the command.

here is a useful explanation, how to manage this step via
Control Panel => All Control Panel Items => System => Advanced System Settings => Environment Variables :
http://johnatten.com/2014/12/07/adding- ... n-windows/

in my case, i had to add ";C:\Program Files\mpv;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin" at the end of all the other paths.

2.) now you can start the windows "Command Prompt". a shortcut to get it is: "win"+"x"-keys and you can pin it to your applications panel on the bottom of the screen just like another application for faster access.

at the command prompt you can now type things like "ffmpeg -version[enter]" or "mpv -version[enter]" to check, if everything works as expected.

3.) if you only want to play a file in the most simple form, just type: 'mpv' [space] and the filename [enter].
if you are to lazy to write complex paths and filenames, simple drag and drop entries from the filebrowser to the terminal window.

4.) commands can be repeated and slightly modified by pressing the [up]-key, to get access to the command history.

for example: if you want to start the playback in full screen mode, just add the option ' -fs ' between the command and the filename etc.

i hope, this is useful as a sttarting point. i'm sure, other more experienced windows power users could describe it better and add important hints.

Rafael Ortiz

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:
Rafael Ortiz wrote:I definitely understand your point of view. But I still need to know how to add that command line you posted.

here is a little archive for you.

you have to extract it within the folder, where mpv is installed on your machine.
it only contains a subfolder called "portable_config" and a minimal "mpv.conf" setting this single option.
after this preparation, you can drag and drop DNxHR 444 and HQX files on mpv as usual...

I just added the "mpv.conf" in the mpv folder. And I'm able to play all the DNxHR HQ/HQX files to play in mpv now!

Huge thanks brother!

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Thank you!!!
__

Return to DaVinci Resolve