Dual Titan 12gb pascal Vs. Dual GTX 1080 8gb

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Piotr Wozniacki

Re: Dual Titan 12gb pascal Vs. Dual GTX 1080 8gb

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Add to it fact that 6950x can be very easily overclocked to 4GHz (even 4.5GHz). It would be very interesting to test it against Xeons then. By pure guess I assume it would be as good as most Xeon setups. I think only some well chosen Xeons (3GHz+ ones with 8/10cores) could be actually better. I don't think Xeons with e.g. 16 cores at 2GHz would shine much at all in Resolve. This only works well for 3D rendering etc where all cores are always used at 100%.

The only real issue for i7 is number of PCIe lanes, which we do need for Resolve multi GPU setups.

The number of cores vs. clock speed has been a dilemma not just for DR (or similar systems) users. As some of you guys might know, my main profession isn't digital content creation at all; I only do my shooting and editing (including grading of course, which BTW is the nicest part of it all to me - especially since I started using Resolve) as a serious hobby (OK - if we adopt a definition of "doing something professionally" based on whether money is earned, it's also my "second profession"). But anyways, I've always been a CAE engineer by trade (a Moldflow analyst to be exact); most of my projects I compute on the very same workstation I use for Resolve ("just" 8 core i7@4.2GHz), only submitting the largest and most compute-intensive jobs to the Autodesk Cloud servers. Now; Autodesk has succeeded with parallelization of most of the Moldflow solvers, but there still is one or two which can only use a single core; it's funny to observe how my modest i7 PC ges such jobs done faster than some 48-core machines out there in the Cloud, simply because they only run at some 2.4 GHz max...

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve