Node graph is a mess

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Antoine Grasset

Node graph is a mess

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Hello BMD,
today is the day I have to publicly say that your Node Graph panel is garbage.

Please have a look at the user experience in Nuke and do something in that direction to make our life better.

Problems :

1) lines are randomly hard to select precisely
2) when one connection is broken/disconnected in the node tree = color preview is lost
3) when a node is laying somewhere, unconnected to the node tree in any way = color preview is lost
4) we cannot disconnected and drag an input to another one (we have to select a line, delete, then drag from the input to the new input) = time and movement waste, and we cannot see the change occur without losing preview (cf problem 2&3)
5) as the input and output of the node tree are somehow "fixed", opening the OpenFX panel or changing the zoom will dynamically rearrange and mess the node tree, pushing nodes out of view and further than the input/output point = you have to zoom back or scroll or move nodes around back to something usable/viewable
6) "Cleanup node graph" is useless and does more harm than good in many cases

Mark Sterne

Re: Node graph is a mess

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:40 am

I think calling it "garbage" is a little strong, but these suggestions are all good ones and I'd like to see them implemented, too.

Items 2, 3, 4 and 6 are things I'm frustrated with as well.

The node editing capabilities of Fusion are much better, and while I know that Fusion and Resolve were developed completely separately from each other, I'd like to see nodes in Resolve behave more like nodes in Fusion, especially in regards to being able to disconnect them without losing preview, and being able to drag a new pipe to replace an old one, instead of the delete then re-create workflow we have now.

Antoine Grasset

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:45 am

I admit the word is a bit strong :)
It's just that I'm losing so much time everyday fighting with it, it's really getting on my nerve...

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 am

Antoine Grasset wrote:I admit the word is a bit strong :) It's just that I'm losing so much time everyday fighting with it, it's really getting on my nerve...

Get used to it, understand the logic of how and why the node tree is structured the way it is, and stop comparing it to other programs. There are positive sides of Resolve's approach.

There are always workarounds. For example, you can use an expanded node window, push everything further to the left, and you'll have more node space to work with. For another idea: you could use a pre-configured node structure with everything labeled, and just bypass the nodes you aren't using at the moment. There are advantages of using a strict node structure for some projects.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:54 am

I somewhat agree that the node can be improved, I like nuke.

but I'm also fan of a predeterminate node structure, 12-20 nodes based on the project
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 am

Antoine, Are you on 12.5.4?
What resolution UI screen?

#4 "we cannot disconnected and drag an input to another one"

select the node output and click to drag a connect to another node input which if it had an input connection it would replace the existing with the new.

For Node re-arrangement you can also click in the background and lasso nodes to move many at once.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Antoine Grasset

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:44 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Antoine, Are you on 12.5.4?
What resolution UI screen?

I'm using 12.5.3, dual monitor setup (Gallery+Scope on a 1080*1920 and Tools+Nodes+Preview on a 2560*1440). Will try 12.5.4 in the coming weeks.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:#4 "we cannot disconnected and drag an input to another one"
select the node output and click to drag a connect to another node input which if it had an input connection it would replace the existing with the new.

Thanks for the tip but this create a new output (you still have to delete the previous connection) : I'd prefer to "swap" directly = moving the already existing connection.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:For Node re-arrangement you can also click in the background and lasso nodes to move many at once.

Yes, this new feature was a blessing :)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:#4 "we cannot disconnected and drag an input to another one"

Thanks for the tip but this create a new output (you still have to delete the previous connection) : I'd prefer to "swap" directly = moving the already existing connection.

Sorry this is still not clear to me.
What new output are you creating?

If you select an existing node output, click and drag the connector it will make a second output link to the node input you drop it on and the previous node input is automatically removed.

Adam Janz

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Does anyone know if a disconnected node still causes color preview to be lost in the latest version (17) of Resolve? (I'm not able to verify this myself yet until I install Linux.) If so, this would be a very important issue to address, as a user should be able to determine the output of any selected node individually before determining its final position in the node tree. I also wholeheartedly agree with the 6 points of Antoine's OP (again assuming these issues have not already been fixed in Version 17). Thanks!

Mark Foster

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Adam Janz wrote:Does anyone know if a disconnected node still causes color preview to be lost in the latest version (17) of Resolve? (I'm not able to verify this myself yet until I install Linux.) If so, this would be a very important issue to address, as a user should be able to determine the output of any selected node individually before determining its final position in the node tree. I also wholeheartedly agree with the 6 points of Antoine's OP (again assuming these issues have not already been fixed in Version 17). Thanks!

when you unplug the power connecter from the socket it is dark ; -)

so switch nodes off and on with cmd+D and don't disconnect,
unless you want to move the node to another place in the tree
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Adam Janz

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 11:21 pm

Mark Foster wrote: when you unplug the power connecter from the socket it is dark ; -)

Thank you Mark for confirming! I hope they can fix that behavior, it would certainly make prototyping looks a lot simpler. :D

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 5:31 am

Nothing to fix. Please review the node operation with the highlight mode.

Adam Janz

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:36 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Nothing to fix. Please review the node operation with the highlight mode.

Thank you Peter for your reply. The issue is actually with not being able to see your existing node graph results when a new, unplugged node is added to the graph. The highlight mode is handy, yes, but it does NOT work when a new unplugged node exists in the graph. There is actually no logical reason why the node graph results would be deliberately hidden from the user when an unplugged or partially plugged node is added. The node graph should ONLY evaluate the results of all FULLY CONNECTED nodes, not random nodes that are bypassed or sitting unconnected by themselves.

This current limitation proved to be a hindrance more than once today while constructing a 36 node graph. Several times I had to pause after adding a new node and try to remember what my current final result looked like before proceeding to connect the new node and add power windows, etc. It is a major shortcoming especially when working with complex graphs. Having the functionality of the node graph only evaluating fully connected nodes would be a tremendous timesaver and greatly appreciated!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 am

R u on 17.2?

Adam Janz

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:R u on 17.2?
Hi Peter, unfortunately I'm not yet (BMD ended support for Windows 8.1 so I have yet to install Linux in order to use the latest version of Resolve on my workstation). That's why I had asked if anyone could confirm if the described behavior still exists in the latest version. If it doesn't, that would be amazing news! Thanks again for your time.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Simply adding an unconnected node doesn't change the image in the Viewer. I wouldn't expect it to. (You're saying it used to?)

Studio 17.2.1 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Adam Janz

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Simply adding an unconnected node doesn't change the image in the Viewer. I wouldn't expect it to. (You're saying it used to?)

Studio 17.2.1 for Windows.

Ah, maybe the issue has been fixed then. Thanks Jim! Once I update my system to Linux I will test that out. Am currently stuck using Resolve 12.5.6 since it was the last build officially supporting Windows 8.1. However, many of the limitations I encounter in 12.5.6 (including the problem with power window parameter keyframes all sharing the same channel) appear to affect the latest release also (according to user comments online). That said, if this preview issue was corrected, then that is great news indeed! :D

Frank Engel

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:21 am

Adam Janz wrote:Ah, maybe the issue has been fixed then.

Yes, this was fixed at some point after 12. Might have been 15? Not sure offhand.

Adam Janz

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 2:41 am

Frank Engel wrote:Yes, this was fixed at some point after 12. Might have been 15? Not sure offhand.
Thanks so much, Frank! That is really great to hear.
Heaven Inspired Movies
https://heaveninspiredmovies.wixsite.com/ministry

Adam Janz 3D
https://adamjanz3d.wixsite.com/design

Return to DaVinci Resolve