DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Tufvesson

DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Thank you! This is truly wonderful! I really couldn't believe it at first :)

After some quick 10 min tinkering I have Resolve Studio running even under Debian Stretch. Will do proper testing tomorrow but basic functionality including Decklink SDI I/O appears to be working fine!

This is the big Linux install issues thread

I will try to keep this first post up to date with the current progress in this area. Please try to keep on subject when posting. This thread is about getting Resolve and Resolve Studio running under various Linux distributions and the problems that may arise on the OS-level. Please try to keep in-software issues and feature requests out of this thread.

Suggestions and corrections to this post are welcome! Send me a PM.

New posters please read
DaVinci Resolve has been running on Linux for a very long time but only as a specialized Advanced version with dedicated Linux workstations with very strict specifications and special hardware. Blackmagic Design have made the wonderful decision of also making Resolve and Resolve Studio available for Linux and those willing to take on the task of setting up a Linux workstation. That also means that the Linux release of DaVinci Resolve is a derivative of the Advanced version and is still very customized for this specialized scenario. It's not like installing any other Linux application out there.
Please read the DaVinci Resolve manual and configuration guide.

Good to know before you start
- Official installer is made for CentOS and RHEL only. Extra work is needed for other Linux distributions.
- Installer does not handle dependencies. You will have to manually install required drivers and libraries.
- Linux system audio is only supported in version 15 and above. For versions prior to 15 audio monitoring is only available using dedicated Decklink hardware.
- Codec support is different under Linux compared to Mac and Windows.

Links to useful posts and web sites
(Please help me update this list!)

- Debian package creator a.k.a MakeResolveDeb (Author: Daniel Tufvesson)

- Linux Mint guide (Author: Sulo Kokki)

- Ubuntu guide (Author: André Rodrigues)

- CentOS guide (Author: Ephraim Ridley)

- Dualboot guide (Author: Sulo Kokki)

- Arch Linux testing (Author: Andrew Shark)

When Resolve doesn't start
1. Run resolve from a prompt (/opt/resolve/bin/resolve) and check the output for error messages
2. Make sure you have all required libraries installed. Run "ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve" and verify that there are no missing libraries (ldd should give no lines with "not found" in them)
3. Log files provide a lot of useful information. Please check for clues. Location differs between Resolve versions.
- Resolve 15 and below: /opt/resolve/logs/
- Resolve 16 and up: ~/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/
4. Post here and provide outputs from the above
Last edited by Daniel Tufvesson on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:04 am, edited 40 times in total.
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Noel Sterrett

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite for Linux request

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Congratulations Peter and all others on the Linux project.

A major achievement, a major milestone.

Cheers Mates.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello all.

With 12.5.5 now released we are supporting DaVinci Resolve and DaVinci Resolve Studio as standalone apps so you can install them on the BMD ISO, which you can find details of in the Linux readme, or on your own Linux installation.

At release we support CentOS and RHEL 7.3 and have little testing of other distributions. This thread is for issues you have when instilling on your Linux system so the community can help you with install issues.

We will drop in from time to time but please reach out to the Linux users for tech support.

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:Thank you! This is truly wonderful! I really couldn't believe it at first :)

After some quick 10 min tinkering I have Resolve Studio running even under Debian Stretch. Will do proper testing tomorrow but basic functionality including Decklink SDI I/O appears to be working fine!

Please keep us updated on the Debian testing. While we tested a few we focused on CentOS and RHEL 7.3 and so more feedback on other distributions is helpful.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JPOwens

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 pm

So who is going to jump and try to run Resolve Linux under CentOS or RHEL in a Mac Virtual machine?

Understand that only the BMD panels are supported in the Linux version.

Were that little detail to be overcome, how would a VM be set up in a 2010 MacPro -- what resources would need to be allocated -- cores/memory, etc., and would it extend the GPU boundaries through an external enclosure? Looking for a way past the 3x nVidia barrier, even if it means abandoning my trusty Element set, which I gather might actually still be worth something unlike my full set of T-200 Tangents when Resolve overtook Apple COLOR / née Silicon Color Final Touch. "Fond memories", indeed? Another $50K I would prefer to have blown on an older red car.

jPo, CSI

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 pm

JPOwens wrote:So who is going to jump and try to run Resolve Linux under CentOS or RHEL in a Mac Virtual machine?

Understand that only the BMD panels are supported in the Linux version.

Were that little detail to be overcome, how would a VM be set up in a 2010 MacPro -- what resources would need to be allocated -- cores/memory, etc., and would it extend the GPU boundaries through an external enclosure? Looking for a way past the 3x nVidia barrier, even if it means abandoning my trusty Element set, which I gather might actually still be worth something unlike my full set of T-200 Tangents when Resolve overtook Apple COLOR / née Silicon Color Final Touch. "Fond memories", indeed? Another $50K I would prefer to have blown on an older red car.

jPo, CSI

Yes only the three BM panels are allowed/supported on Linux
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Alvaro Castaneda

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Sooo
I installed in Centos 7 and I can't import any videos, only MP4s and only a few, so what are the codecs supported?
am I missing something

also audio I imported a wav and I can see the meters moving but can't hear any audio.

help

thank you

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:After some quick 10 min tinkering I have Resolve Studio running even under Debian Stretch. Will do proper testing tomorrow but basic functionality including Decklink SDI I/O appears to be working fine!

Good to hear. Will try under Ubuntu on the weekend. But will also now finally install a CentOS which is the base platform for the "Visual Effects Reference platform" if I understand it correctly and with Resolve now on Linux I think it's finally worth the effort to try this setup.

Thank you to the hole Resolve team to finally hear our wish. No more messing around with Hackintosh-S*** on one side or swearing about shortcomings, forces Updates and all that stuff on the other side ...

Was hopping for some change after Fusion was finally available for Linux even in a free version.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

waltervolpatto

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 pm

keep in mind you have one limitation: no prores export in Linux with the 1000$ license
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:keep in mind you have one limitation: no prores export in Linux with the 1000$ license

But this is something an old Mac/Hack standing in a corner can do easily if really needed. Love ProRes but if Apple is that bitchy the Codec has to die...
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 pm

@Alvaro,

You said: "I can't import any videos".

What exactly does that mean?

You don't SEE any videos in the Media Storage area?

Or something happens when you select one in the Media Storage area?

Regarding audio, what sort of system audio do you have? Do you have a BMD I/O device?

Maybe posting a log would be helpful.

@JP: Regarding Resolve and VM's, I'm not aware of any VM solution that supports the required NVIDIA driver access that Resolve needs. I'd love to be shown wrong on that though, if someone has such a solution.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

JoakimZiegler

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Peter, I hope there will at some point be a way to buy a (more expensive) Linux license with ProRes encoding support without having to shell out 30k for the Advanced Panel. One of the things we'd love to use more Linux boxes for is to set up systems to offload rendering, since it's easy to throw in a bunch of GPUs and such, but there's no need for the Advanced Panel for that (or any panel, really).

We'd be happy to pay, say, double or triple the license price, or even more, to get ProRes support, but buying a $30k panel we don't need just to get ProRes seems a bit steep...
Joakim Ziegler - Post Supervisor - Terminal - http://terminalmx.com/

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 pm

JoakimZiegler wrote:Peter, I hope there will at some point be a way to buy a (more expensive) Linux license with ProRes encoding support without having to shell out 30k for the Advanced Panel.

I don't speak for Blackmagic, but it's up to Apple to decide who gets a ProRes license since they own the patent. Talk to Apple.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 am

@Dwaine
I can only see videos with codec mpeg4
trying to import a mov with codec h264 fails
you can see the info I get from VLC
resolveImport.jpg
vlc codec info
resolveImport.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 1009245 times

for audio I don't have any BMD I/O, I do have a Focusrite 2i2 Audio interface, but not getting any audio either from motherboard or usb interface

thank you

LOG >> http://textuploader.com/d18pv

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:29 am

I also noticed H264 is missing in the export options
this is on LINUX
resolveH264.jpg
h264
resolveH264.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 1009237 times

and this is on WINDOWS
resolveH264_windows.jpg
h264 on windows
resolveH264_windows.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 1009237 times

Also, what's that Grass Valley HD codec? never heard about that

thank you

JoakimZiegler

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:31 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
JoakimZiegler wrote:Peter, I hope there will at some point be a way to buy a (more expensive) Linux license with ProRes encoding support without having to shell out 30k for the Advanced Panel.

I don't speak for Blackmagic, but it's up to Apple to decide who gets a ProRes license since they own the patent. Talk to Apple.

I don't speak for Blackmagic or Apple or anyone, but, while that's technically true, Blackmagic has a ProRes license from Apple, and can clearly sell that on to their customers, since that's what they do, much like Adobe now includes native ProRes support in their CS products on Windows, after QT for Windows was deprecated.

It's not like Apple has to approve everyone who gets a Resolve license from Blackmagic, what Apple basically does is certify an implementation and allow the company to use the ProRes name and patents.
Joakim Ziegler - Post Supervisor - Terminal - http://terminalmx.com/

Jo Hermann

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 am

"JoakimZiegler"... but buying a $30k panel we don't need just to get ProRes seems a bit steep...

That panel is not about Apple ProRes (any Flavour), it's about dumping 30k on a non-described surface you have to figure out whilst you are working with it.

[edit] there is now a basic description in the manual as Marc Wielage pointed out three posts below - thx4info!

Baselight anyone? Nice panels AND description to them. Ok, and Linux.

[edited]
Last edited by Jo Hermann on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
filter Media GmbH & Co. - Postproduction
Salzburg/Austria

waltervolpatto

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 am

does the [offset] button does what it say? making one ball/ring work with offset

(as in switch from lift/gamma/gain to lift/offset/gain or something similar)?

Marcin Nowak

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:06 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please keep us updated on the Debian testing. While we tested a few we focused on CentOS and RHEL 7.3 and so more feedback on other distributions is helpful.

Dear Peter!
First.. I want to say - THANK YOU! - to all BMD team and management for delivering your products for Linux users.

I've tried to install Resolve on Manjaro Linux (an ArchLinux fork). The distro is not based on Debian nor Centos (it is a independent branch). I was aware that Resolve may not work, and indeed - it crashes. Before first run I had to make symlinks for libcrypto and libssl, and install libgstreamer-0.10. Then Resolve ran and configured the environment (I go through the simple way). Just after finishing setup Resolve crashed. Now it crashes always at the start. The debug log contains a crash dump with stacktrace.

You've asked for feedback about other distros. Are you interested in Manjaro or Arch Linux? Should I report you crash dumps or issues? If so, where I should send them?

Best Regards,
Marcin

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:28 am

Paul Provost wrote:are you guys offering a free version of the new panel?

It is free, but $3995 for the special USB cable and power cord.

Jo Hermann wrote:That panel is not about Apple ProRes (any Flavour), it's about dumping 30k on a non-described surface you have to figure out whilst you are working with it.

Pages 1035-1059 of the latest (March 2017) Resolve Studio manual is devoted just to the Resolve control surfaces.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 am

waltervolpatto wrote:does the [offset] button does what it say? making one ball/ring work with offset

(as in switch from lift/gamma/gain to lift/offset/gain or something similar)?

Yes. RHS trackball becomes offset, LHS ring Temp, Centre Tint
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 am

@Marcin, and anyone else installing stand alone Resolve on a system not built by our Linux build image:
Most Linux distros use Nouveau as the graphics driver. Resolve has to have the NVIDIA driver installed to run. So the NVDIA driver needs to replace the Nouveau driver. Google can help with those details. Not sure this is your issue, but it would be the first thing to check if Resolve doesn't run. In a command line terminal window, type: nvidia-settings then press <ENTER>
If nothing happens, you don't have the NVIDIA driver installed, and for sure Resolve won't run.

@Alvaro - Resolve Linux has not had, and still does not have an H.264 render option.
The log you link is not the Resolve log I need. Look at the second pinned thread at the top of the DaVinci Resolve forum for details on that.
You said "trying to import a mov with codec h264 fails". Does that mean you can SEE that file listed in the Media Storage area? If you can see it listed, what happens if you select it? And just in case you are a new Resolve user, you are not trying to use the File - Import menu to import video clips, are you?
Dwaine Maggart

Martin Schitter

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please keep us updated on the Debian testing. While we tested a few we focused on CentOS and RHEL 7.3 and so more feedback on other distributions is helpful.

my first attemt to install it on debian "testing" via checkinstall wasn't successful, but that's no tragedy -- i'm sure. i'll find my way to get it working.

i really have to THANK all those people at BMD, which made this linux release possible!
it's fantastic to see it happen -- i wouldn't have expected it anymore!
i hope, BMD and the resolve user community will get back a lot of indirect benefit!

it somehow feels like the night, when the first open source release of netscape/mozilla/firefox was published, the moment, when blender was set free by a found raising campaign, or staroffice/openoffice/libreoffice saw the light of day -- great moments in linux history!

concerning the installation troubles:

this missing "libcrypto.so.10" and "libssl.so.10" troubles on non centos systems are easy to solve in a more or less uncritical way. you just need symbolic links in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to the corresponding *.so.1.0.0 libraries. most commercial applications (eg. nuke) bypass this issue by putting their own private copy of the openssl-libraries into the installer.

it looks like resolve is using some LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH modification protection. that makes it a little bit harder to adapt it to other distributions in a nice manner, free of possible side effects and system wide modifications. but that's not an insurmountable obstacle neither.

until now i could solve all this library dependencies, and the binary is starting, but there are still some obvious troubles... (but i think, that's more related to issues on my side, because i have to reconfigure my whole setup, to get rid of the virtualization solutions and necessary blacklisting of drivers, which i had to use to run resolve in the recent years)

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 3:18 am

@Dwaine
I'm not new to Resolve :)
I don't see any videos in the Media Storage only one that has codec MPEG4 all the other videos are not visible at all
I did try using file import since it felt strange that nothing was showing at all in the Media Storage panel

I don't mind the h.264 export as much, but I need to import material to edit if not, then what format should I make it to be able to import it?

find the log attached

thank you
Attachments
log_archive_20170302-201205.tgz
log
(135.73 KiB) Downloaded 5254 times

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:43 am

H.264/H.265 is not supported for decode on the free version. If you have the Studio version, you should be able to read it fine.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:H.264/H.265 is not supported for decode on the free version. If you have the Studio version, you should be able to read it fine.

Well that makes it unusable for me then, I only use it to edit screen recorded lessons that I later post either on youtube or vimeo

guess I'll have to keep using the windows version them.

there goes my happiness :(

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:21 am

So what's the logic behind that? h264 works on windows and mac in the free version but not Linux
makes no sense, I'm certainly not going to pay $995 for one codec, since is all I use

damn I was so excited

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 am

Maybe because it's supported by both of those systems?
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 am

Uli Plank wrote:Maybe because it's supported by both of those systems?

is supported in linux as well, i'm recording to that format directly
Blender, lightworks and other apps supports it, is a universal codec, is even embedded in web browsers :)

tartinebrule

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 am

Like @Alvaro, I have the issue with the audio on linux. Centos 7 and ubuntu...
The meters bounce up and down, but nothing comes out. No decklink card.

I notice that the "Local.Audio.Type" always point to "Decklink" in the config.dat file regardless of the change in the GUI pref.

T.

Daniel Tufvesson

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 am

tartinebrule wrote:Like @Alvaro, I have the issue with the audio on linux. Centos 7 and ubuntu...
The meters bounce up and down, but nothing comes out. No decklink card.

I notice that the "Local.Audio.Type" always point to "Decklink" in the config.dat file regardless of the change in the GUI pref.

T.

I can confirm this running Resolve Studio on my Debian rig. What sub-system does Resolve use for audio? Alsa? Pulse? Jack?
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor

Daniel Tufvesson

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 am

This is what I do to install Resolve on Debian Stretch. Since the scripts included with the installer are made for RedHat/CentOS they do not run properly on Debian. I picked out the most important pieces to complete an install. There are things missing I'm sure but it's a start.

This is my step by step recipe for a FRESH install of Resolve Studio. Probably NOT be safe for upgrading. Use at your own risk!
Code: Select all
unzip DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_12.5.5_Linux.zip

mkdir ./unpack

./DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_12.5.5_Linux.sh --noexec --keep --target ./unpack/

## Create destination directory
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/

## Copy files
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/DaVinci_Resolve_Manual.pdf /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/Developer /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/LUT /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/UI_Resource /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/libs /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/panels/ /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Common/plugins/ /opt/resolve/

## Create directries
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/bin
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/graphics
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/scripts

## Create writeable directories
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/configs
sudo chmod a+w /opt/resolve/configs
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/Media
sudo chmod a+w /opt/resolve/Media
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/"Resolve Disk Database"
sudo chmod a+w /opt/resolve/"Resolve Disk Database"
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/.LUT
sudo chmod a+w /opt/resolve/.LUT
sudo mkdir -p /opt/resolve/logs
sudo chmod a+w /opt/resolve/logs

## Copy files
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/resolve /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/ShowDpxHeader /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/TestIO /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/deviceQuery /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/bandwidthTest /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/oclDeviceQuery /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/oclBandwidthTest /opt/resolve/bin/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/DPDecoder /opt/resolve/bin
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/bmdpaneld /opt/resolve/bin
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/BMDPanelFirmware /opt/resolve/bin
sudo cp -rp ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/Control /opt/resolve/
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/qt.conf /opt/resolve/bin
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/DV_Resolve.png /opt/resolve/graphics
sudo cp -p ./unpack/Standalone/rsf/default-config-linux.dat /opt/resolve/configs/config.dat

## Extract archives
sudo gunzip -f /opt/resolve/LUT/trim_lut0.dpx.gz
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/aaf_runtime_libs_x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/easydcp-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/ffmpeg-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/graphviz-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/log4cxx_runtime_libs_x64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/mxf-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/sonyrawdev-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/smdk-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/sstp-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs
sudo tar zxf /opt/resolve/libs/sxavc-rt-linux-x86_64.tgz -C /opt/resolve/libs

After this I still had some issues with missing versions of libssl and libgstreamer.
## Install missing libssl
wget http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/o/openssl/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u6_amd64.deb
mkdir ./libssl
dpkg-deb -R libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u6_amd64.deb ./libssl/
sudo cp libssl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libcrypto.so.10
sudo cp libssl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libssl.so.10

## Install missing libgstreamer
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gstreamer0.10/libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5_amd64.deb
mkdir ./libgstreamer
dpkg-deb -R libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5_amd64.deb ./libgstreamer
sudo cp -r libgstreamer/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/* /opt/resolve/libs/

I have created a proper DEB package for my own use but I'm not sure I can re-distribute that.

Diego Borghello

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 10:17 am

Is there a way to make Resolve full screen? So far everything works as expected on Centos 7.3, but Resolve is constrained between Centos top and bottom bars, which are light gray and very distracting.

Michel Plateau

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Marcin Nowak wrote:I've tried to install Resolve on Manjaro Linux (an ArchLinux fork).

I'm on Arch, and same thing with me, I can get to the configuration screen, and after that it crash at startup.

Terminal output :
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2222, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
12.5.5 (#026)
Main thread starts: C1D06A40
log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (Undefined).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.

Log :
[0x7fc0c1d06a40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-03-03 14:06:50,377 | Updating display GPU information...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ReactorGPU::GPUException'

Some required information is missing for email crash report, the crash archive will not be updated

==========[CRASH DUMP]========
Please send this to support:
#TIME Fri Mar  3 14:06:50 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 12.5.5 (#026)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

./resolve(_ZN7BtDebug14ReportSegfaultEiP7siginfoPv+0x44)[0x35c7fa4]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0xcf)[0x7fc0aea7604f]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0xcf)[0x7fc0aea7604f]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7fc0aea7747a]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7fc0af0894ed]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f2a6)[0x7fc0af0872a6]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f2f1)[0x7fc0af0872f1]
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f508)[0x7fc0af087508]
./resolve[0x6ebaf9]
./resolve[0x6e94ae]
./resolve[0x6e46aa]
./resolve[0x6b06a9]
./resolve[0x6b8383]
./resolve[0x6b9459]
./resolve[0x6b9708]
./resolve[0xc10cb8]
./resolve[0xc12097]
./resolve[0x6be512]
./resolve[0x6bf349]
./resolve(main+0x15b)[0x6a20eb]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf1)[0x7fc0aea63291]
./resolve[0x6a1b09]
Signal Number = 6
==============================

I also had to make symlinks for libcrypto and libssl.
And I have nvidia installed
Last edited by Michel Plateau on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tartinebrule

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 pm

@Daniel

Thanks for chiming in.

I looked at what you've done.

First, I'm running resolve, not studio. So the unpack is slightly different. But I double checked and everything is where is should be, all the libs are there and installed, etc.

The only error message I get is:

log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (undefined).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.

but resolve launches and runs fine after that... but for the audio. Unsure if it's related.

I did ask resolve to use the System Audio Output in the Video I/O tab of the preferences.

I tried the audio with pulse at first... Then installed Jack...

All the other apps output audio with either, but for resolve who stubbornly remains silent.

tried on both ubuntu (I know unsupported) and centos 7.2 (supported?).

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm in the middle of installing Centos 7. Any idea what choices are needed/best: Gnome, KDE, etc...?

Or is there a way to download the ISO: DaVinci-Resolve-Linux-12.5.5-CentOS_7.3.iso?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm

@Noel: the link to download our CentOS 7.3 build image is near the bottom of the Readme.txt file.
Dwaine Maggart

Tony Richards

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all,

Very happy to see Resolve on CentOS without having to buy the full system. I am having issues however. I have a HPZ840 with Quadro K6000 graphics card. It is certainly Cuda capable. I mainly use Autodesk Flame on this CentOS 7.2 setup and so the graphics driver really is pegged on that basis. The driver version is 346.35 and is installed with the Autodesk DKU 12. After installing Resolve I get an initial message saying that my graphics card might not be up to scratch. It is though as a K6000 is a pretty beefy card. When starting Resolve I get repeated messages saying "No CUDA Acceleration Hardware Detected!" then I get "The total number of CUDA GPU's on chassis 1 (0) is less than the number configured (1).

Cheers
Tony

Kuntal Majumder

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Got it working in Ubuntu 16.04 , needed a few library linking though , just needed to install libssl-dev and libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10.
Attachments
2017-03-04-005007_1366x768_scrot.png
2017-03-04-005007_1366x768_scrot.png (82.06 KiB) Viewed 1008701 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:28 pm

@Tony: I don't think that NVIDIA driver is new enough for Resolve, as it's a very old driver.

If your Autodesk install can only work with that, I don't have a good suggestion.

But at least as a test, you might update to a more current NVIDIA driver, just to verify if that makes Resolve happy or not.
Dwaine Maggart

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:38 pm

So if H264 is not supported, is there a similar codec supported?
I can't convert to DNx, some of my training titles run for hours, the last one was 8 hours, that'll be unmanageable

please suggest something web usable

thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 pm

@Diego re: Full Screen

Select Applications - System Tools - Settings

Select Keyboard

Select Keyboard Shortcuts

Select Windows

You'll see Toggle Full Screen mode is Disabled.

Click Disabled, then press the F11 key. It should now show F11.

Exit Settings. Now the F11 key should toggle Resolve in and out of full screen mode.

Note that if you toggle the Cinema viewer on and off, Resolve goes out of full screen mode, but you can just toggle it back again with the F11 key.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:51 pm

@Alvaro

Looks like QuickTime MPEG4 at the quality level of your choice might be the best option.
Dwaine Maggart

Stefan Gofferje

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 pm

I can report a successful installation under Ubuntu 14.04. Only thing to do is to create 2 symlinks for libssl.so.10 and libcrypto.so.10 to the respective .1.0.0 versions.
Under Ubuntu, also h.264 decoding does not work. Prores and DNxHD import works fine. I checked the libs which come with Resolve for Linux and they include ffmpeg's libav*. Unless BMD compiled their own versions, they SHOULD support h.264 import. The Ubuntu versions do.
Audio is a bit tricky as Resolve seems to go around pulseaudio and try to address the hardware directly or via Alsa.

For now, I unfortunately have to stick with Windows for Resolve as I get lots of h.264 footage from Gopros and DSLRs, so it's essential for me and converting everything to Prores on ingest is kinda hassle.

@Dwaine:
If you'd need any help for testing under Ubuntu or making Resolve more compatible, feel free to contact me. I do have "a little" experience on Linux :).
Documentary and wildlife guy, mostly Linux user
DR12.5, Win10, Core I7-4770K@3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX 1070
Canon 6D, Canon 7D

Alvaro Castaneda

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Alvaro

Looks like QuickTime MPEG4 at the quality level of your choice might be the best option.

Seems like I'm going to keep editing on windows :)

not sure why you guys are holding back h264, ffmpeg is free and supports all those codecs.

thanks

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 10:30 pm

First, I downloaded the CentOS distro, installed it without issue, but ran into a brick wall trying to add the Nvidia drivers. The "nouveau" driver is in the way and won't step aside gracefully, so I gave up.

Then I tried to install from the Blackmagic ISO. It also went smoothly, and with the Nvidia driver. Then I installed Resolve, and, to my surprise and delight, it works!!!

Not fully tested yet, but many thanks to the BM team for the simple ISO install.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Yes, we would recommend for easiest use, if you don't absolutely have to put Resolve on an existing Linux distro, to download our CentOS 7.3 build image, as it already has the NVIDIA driver installed, and has PostgreSQL installed and running.

I would also note that our build image is best installed from a DVD and not a USB stick.

Our prior build images for sure only work on DVD. I'm not sure that's the case with the 7.3 image, but it probably is.
Dwaine Maggart

Marcin Nowak

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 pm

@Michel

To solve segfault on Manjaro/Arch please install opencl-nvidia.

Unfortunatelly I got into next trouble, where Resolve allocated all free mem and took ~40G VIRT memory.
It may be related to my lame HW, so please test this on your setup.

Marcin

tartinebrule

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Why is the audio issue not acknowledged by anyone at BM?

Please help.

tartinebrule

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:20 pm

@Stefan

Are you able to get audio out? If so, would you mind explaining how did you set up alsa?

Thank you!

Danas_Anis

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Oh finally! Took you a long time, but THANK YOU! Finally! Finally! Finally!

But could somebody assist with installing it on Ubuntu 16.04? So installation went successful , I got the libssl-dev and libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10. How do I do the required linking and stuff?
I would be very grateful for all your help!
Last edited by Danas_Anis on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

Danas
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve