DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Heikki Repo

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 pm

You may sudo su in order to become root on Ubuntu. Plain su won't work, as there is no root user password set by default.

Bill de Garis

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Ooh... thanks for all that both of you! This is going to take me some time to run through. Excellent stuff. Thankyou. I will probably not get to it until tomorrow.
Bill
Win10 Pro, 16Core Threadripper, 64G RAM, GEForce RTX2070 8G

John Morris

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 am

I gather that mp3 decoding is supposed to be working under linux. Does anyone have mp3 playback working in Resolve 14 under a Ubuntu based distro?
I am running Linux Mint 18.2 with all the usual extra codecs installed and MP3 playback works fine in other apps, but could be getting tripped up by some non-standard repository. Not running the Resolve Studio version (yet), just the free one.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

RJJ295

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues - Sound

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 1:57 am

Installed Resolve 14 on Ubuntu 16.04 without issue. However, during playback I can't hear any audio. Simple 16 bit wav imported without issue. Placed on Audio 1. Playback---no sound.
Also, under Preferences, Video and Audio I/O, "Use System Audio Output" is grayed.

Any suggestions???

Alvaro Castaneda

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 am

John Morris wrote:I gather that mp3 decoding is supposed to be working under linux. Does anyone have mp3 playback working in Resolve 14 under a Ubuntu based distro?
I am running Linux Mint 18.2 with all the usual extra codecs installed and MP3 playback works fine in other apps, but could be getting tripped up by some non-standard repository. Not running the Resolve Studio version (yet), just the free one.

Audio codecs are limited on the linux version the only one I got to work of is WAV PCM
all other codecs not working
also you have to know that Resolve doesn't support system audio, you need a specific audio card for it to output audio.

John Morris

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:26 am

Alvaro Castaneda wrote:
John Morris wrote:I gather that mp3 decoding is supposed to be working under linux. Does anyone have mp3 playback working in Resolve 14 under a Ubuntu based distro?

Audio codecs are limited on the linux version the only one I got to work of is WAV PCM
also you have to know that Resolve doesn't support system audio, you need a specific audio card for it to output audio.

Thanks, not just me then. I bought a Decklink card but still could do with system audio for live recordings. Just have to use the iMac for that.
Can't see why the codecs are so limited. The Binary seems to use ffmpeg libraries (libavcodec etc.), even libogg and libvorbis. MP3 has been out of patent for a few months too.
Is the Studio version so limited?
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Linux Mint 19.2

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

Alvaro Castaneda wrote:

I could assemble and mount mp3 on the timeline of davincirelove14 but under centos as it was planned. I prefer to follow the indications and not tried under ubuntu. You have to follow a tutorial to install the nvidia drivers for the correct card and kill the "new" drivers. It almost works. You must buy a BlackMagic card to hear the sound. But it does not do everything. Some formats like the LTS AVCHD from SONY CANON GOPRO DJI and other H264, all very popular are not yet functional in me: There are no codecs for sound. Our studio very often rises many sources of rush from several cameras. 6K, RED, Prores but also Dji drone, immersive GOPRO, or good photo boxes with very strong openings and large sensors to give blur style. We use small A77ii or A99ii DSLR cameras on Dji Ronin to shoot in unlikely places. This is the film of today. At this time Davinci is unusable as is. I am very surprised that the AVCHD very dependent in all the cuts is not functional. (Especially as much simpler software like KdenLive AVCHD lice without problem.) I transmitted a rush AVCHD LTS which is problematic. I hope an answer soon.

John Morris

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 am

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl wrote:I could assemble and mount mp3 on the timeline of davincirelove14 but under centos as it was planned.

Thats interesting, so it might be worthwhile doing some juggling with different libraries to get it working under Ubuntu type distros.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Linux Mint 19.2

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 am

Under centos I installed VLC to get a maximum of codec to playback. I do not know how davinci could inherit it. I will try other MP3s from other sources. It is possible that the problem on my AVCHD also comes from the MP3 license. Dwaine will confirm but, I may be missing a bookstore under hundred to read it correctly. My tests on KDENLIVE were done on Ubuntu. I'll try KDENLIVE on Centos to see if I can read my rush with sound or not.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 am

@Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl: Thanks for the file.

The file audio works in Windows Resolve.

Linux Resolve metadata shows 2 channels of 48 KHz audio, but no meter activity and no audio out.

We'll look into it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks Dwaine.

I have watched several avchd from 4 cameras, brand Sony Canon and Dji. I can play them with sound in VLC. But actually nothing with Davinci. Can I do something for the tracks to be listenable? Manually mount the sound on the rush somewhere in the program?
Last edited by Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kris Limbach

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 am

is there any audio solution for laptops on linux? as we need (now at least and maybe in the future) a decklink card to output sound, is there some portable card running via usb3 or pcmcia etc? only portable thing i found was the Intensity shuttle and i only found on the webs that it is not running on linux, correct me if i m wrong...

Alessandro Fontana

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:43 am

Good question Kris, I have Resove Studio that run on a workstation with an Intensity 4K, but I can use it on my laptop with linux, I have also a Shuttle USB but without driver for linux doesn't works.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

@Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl: Your file has AC3 audio. Resolve Linux does not support decoding AC3 audio, or MP3 audio.
Dwaine Maggart

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

Hello

Seriously you get to work the 4K on a laptop with davinciresolve? :shock:

What configuration do you have?

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 am

Woaow. Dwaine I'm surprised. A video program that does not support most of the music we download on the music database and that we use in our movies. And that does not support the sound of most of our small cameras. I hope you will make it evolve in this direction. In the meantime, without any solutions at home, you force me to return to Kdenlive and Final Cut Pro X. Waiting for better news.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 am

@Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl: You are running FCPX on Linux?
Dwaine Maggart

John Morris

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl: Your file has AC3 audio. Resolve Linux does not support decoding AC3 audio, or MP3 audio.

I trust that patent encumbrance is not the reason for the lack of support, because the patents for MP3 and AC3 have both expired in the last year.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Linux Mint 19.2

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:21 am

No Old Mac. But that lacks power. I quit Mac because it's not evolutive. No card add, in mac pro for exemple. I would have preferred PC linux. Essentially because our developers go in this direction. Too bad I would use Kdenlive. I have nothing else on hand for 4K. And my rush can not wait any longer.

Rick Emerson

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Heikki Repo wrote:You may sudo su in order to become root on Ubuntu. Plain su won't work, as there is no root user password set by default.

Er, not quite. This, plus the system password, creates a permanent su access:
Code: Select all
sudo -i

Do not remain as superuser a second longer than necessary! A mistake as su is a certain way to irreversible results.
Having stumbled upon the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened.

Heikki Repo

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Rick Emerson wrote:Er, not quite. This, plus the system password, creates a permanent su access:
sudo -i

It really seems you can learn something new every day ;)

I myself come from Gentoo background, having used it on my desktop 2004-2012. There I did everything the old fashioned way by using su to become superuser. Having moved 2012 to Ubuntu, it seems I have learned some bad habits somewhere during my first Ubuntu years...

So, sudo su does give you root access, but it doesn't give you the clean root environment, thus if your user account had been compromised it would be possible to make you run as root commands that have been added to your user environment or your path variable might point your editor to a editor that isn't really the one installed in the system.

So, use sudo -i or if really paranoid, use always the full path to sudo when running that command ;)

Rick Emerson

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm

IMHO if someone steps into superuser and doesn't know the way to /root, etc., they probably deserve whatever happens. Better to use sudo in hopes of not stepping on a booby-trap.

Rick Emerson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 am

Back on topic...
I installed what I take to be 14 non-beta on Ubuntu 16.10. Apparently it tries to launch, but doesn't reach even the project page. Is there a way to collect a log from Resolve without having access (that is, can't see Resolve) to any menus or type-ins?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:08 pm

In a terminal:

/opt/resolve/scripts/script.getlogs.v4
Dwaine Maggart

Bill de Garis

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm

First: Thankyou for all the help on using Ubuntu with Resolve.
I have spent some time now thinking about this and have come up with the following.
1) I need to buy another sound card.
2) Even if I buy this extra card I may still have problems and may have to instal another version of Linux.
3) I don't really want to learn another operating system. Linux seems in many ways to be a great leap forward back into DOS.

So using Linux really seems like too much trouble to be worthwhile.

Therefore I think the smart thing is for me is to anti-up the dosh for Win 10 and dual boot Win 10 with my good old Win 7 until I am comfortable in 10.
Now alls I have to do is to figure out how to remove Ubuntu. Not looking forward to that.
Cheers.
Win10 Pro, 16Core Threadripper, 64G RAM, GEForce RTX2070 8G

Rick Emerson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm

@Dwayne: gotit, will try it.

@Bill: I don't know nothin' about Resolve, but I haven a few clues about Linux. I have a clue or two about Ubuntu.

What tells you that you need another sound card? (There's probably an answer somewhere in this thread - assume I'm too lazy to look for it)

Why do you think you'll still have problems even with a new sound card?

In the main, changing Linux distros (e.g., Ubuntu to OpenSUSE) usually creates more problems than staying with the distribution you have. What version of Ubuntu are you using? 16.04 LTS is quite stable and remains supported. 16.10 is, for the most part, doing well, too. For me. Your mileage may vary...

Um, Linux can be a return to DOS if you need to work in a terminal. If you're working with various GUI's, not so much. At least a) Linux is extensively documented, b) there's no "oh, you're not allowed to see how this works". Both count for a lot.

Stepping from Win7 to Win10 isn't quite the short step it might seem to be. While it's possible to coerce (not a bit of humor or hyperbole in that word) Win10 into a near approximation of Win7, you'll never get back to thinking you're using Win7. Which means you'll have to learn at a new dialect of another OS. Microsoft, through Win10, has instituted some draconian security measures disguised as "we're here to help you". Their implementation depends heavily on your machine's BIOS. Newer BIOS' are the kiss of death. Only slightly exaggerating.

Stick with Linux, assume there is a solution to your problems, move forward from there.

- - - -

If you want to give up on Linux, is it currently a stand-alone installation or dual booting with Win7 as the alternative OS?

Rick Emerson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In a terminal:

/opt/resolve/scripts/script.getlogs.v4

Bad news / good news
The bad news
system@system-p6531p:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for system:
root@system-p6531p:~# sh /opt/resolve/scripts/script.getlogs.v4
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/logs/site1.log': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt.backup': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/logs/rollinglog.txt': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/crash_archive.txt': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/configs/.dblist': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/resolve/configs/.config*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/var/log/messages': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/etc/X11/XF86Config*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/var/log/XFree86.*.log': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/etc/X11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory
/opt/resolve/scripts/script.getlogs.v4: 66: /opt/resolve/scripts/script.getlogs.v4: /sbin/chkconfig: not found
cat: /proc/driver/nvidia/version: No such file or directory
cat: '/proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/information': No such file or directory
root@system-p6531p:~#

Part of the good news:
root@system-p6531p:~# cd /opt/resolve/
root@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve# ls
bin                           docs       logs        Resolve Disk Database
configs                       easyDCP    LUT         scripts
Control                       Fairlight  Media       UI_Resource
DaVinci Resolve Panels Setup  graphics   Onboarding
Developer                     libs       plugins
root@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve# cd logs/
root@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve/logs# ls
log_archive                        log_archive_2017-09-20_163218.tgz
log_archive_2017-09-20_163202.tgz
root@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve/logs#
The script is confused; the directories are there. And logs are generated. Color me baffled.

The two logs are at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_Jk ... 0dYTlU5SjQ
and
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_Jk ... UlFeGhOVWM

Rick Emerson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 pm

OMG - it just dawned on me that there are two instances, on my Linux machine, of Resolve 14 - beta and release. Probably the best thing to do is back them both out and start with 14.0. Since they went in with BMD's shell script, the Synaptic tool doesn't know about Resolve. Ditto for the Ubuntu software "store" app. Neither can back out the installation.

Is there an option for the installation script that does an uninstall? Searching the script doesn't turn up the word "uninstall". Or does the 14.0 (release) version over-write beta?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 am

In a normal RHEL/CentOS environment, installing a different version will overwrite the existing version.

There is no uninstall option.
Dwaine Maggart

Rick Emerson

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 5:49 am

OK - no worries about over-writing, then.

I went back and looked closer at the errors from running script.getlogs.v4

The resolve directories exist, but aren't populated with the expected files. /etc/X11... looks right, but that's information from the "bad old days" of OpenSuSE, not current and correct with Ubuntu.

Looking at the log tgz's, there's config.dat, a summary about the machine and Ubuntu, and an X11 log, but I don't see any signs of a log from having tried to run Resolve.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm

It is normal for that script to generate some errors. Not all the files it's looking for actually exist. When it's run from the Resolve application, those errors are hidden, so not an issue.

Hopefully we will modify the script to more closely align with the current install philosophy.
Dwaine Maggart

Rick Emerson

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:34 pm

That makes sense. And, of course, different distros hide things in different places.

Back to "appears to launch but shows no project page or any other page"... What else can I do to help diagnose what's happening?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Provide a link to what the script DID generate. And then throw in everything that is in the Resolve logs directory, which in a RHEL/CentOS install would be in /opt/resolve/logs.
Dwaine Maggart

Rick Emerson

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:42 am

Please refer to my post, with the code quotes, above. The links to the logs are included at the bottom of the post.

They're repeated here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_Jk ... 0dYTlU5SjQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_Jk ... UlFeGhOVWM

They contain:
output.txt - system description
Xorg.0.log - X11 info
A copy of script.getlogs.v4
Config.dat - Resolve information?
subdirectory LogArchive_R1 which is empty

Kenan Alsamman

Can't Run Resolve 14 On Ubuntu 16.04

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am

Hey everyone,

I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my Samsung laptop but I have had some problems along the way.

It successfully installed but it wouldn't open because OpenLibCL.so and libssl.so10 weren't installed. I installed them. Doing so made me able to open the welcome screen for first timers (the one that requests a tour of the software and yada yada). After I went through the introduction I finally clicked "Start" to launch the program and nothing happened.

I ran it through terminal and this is what I get now:
kenan@kenan-700G7C:~$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: 163C6B40
[0x7fc5163c6b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 12:22:56,418 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fc5163c6b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 12:22:56,418 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fc5163c6b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 12:22:56,418 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure what this means but I Resolve 14 won't open. It simply outputs this code and nothing happens. The program won't open yet and I am not sure what to do now.

Samsung NP700G7C
Graphics Card: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Heathrow XT [Radeon HD 7870M]
RAM: 8GB
Intel Core i7 Processor

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by Kenan Alsamman on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Emerson

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting your results! I tried the same thing and only got as far as
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared library libOpenCL.so.1
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried using Synaptic to find the library and didn't find the libraries you mentioned. I did find some Nvidia libraries, but Synaptic commentary says they only support OpenCL V1.1. AFAIK, this isn't enough for resolve.

Where did you find the libraries you installed?

I'm also using 16.04 (earlier I mistakenly said 16.10 - I did have it installed but I reverted to a fresh install of 16.04).

Martin Schitter

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Rick Emerson wrote:Thanks for posting your results! I tried the same thing and only got as far as

you definitely have to use the proprietary nvidia dirver and its CUDA and OpenCL libraries instead of the free nouveau ones. otherwise you will see this kind of nasty incompatibility symptoms.

edit: i just saw, you don't have a nvidia card in your machine :(
and to be honest, i don't know, if the "AMD Radeon R7 240 Series" will work with resolve on linux at all...

Rick Emerson

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Sigh... I keep forgetting I don't have an Nvidia GPU in the Linux box, only the Win10 box.

Digging around, it seems that 16.10 possibly has support, for this GPU, which might mesh with Resolve. I started up a Linux box to, I hoped, move off my laptop. The best laid plans of mice and men... Anyway, I'll go back to 16.10 and see what happens.

Survivor_Films

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Rick Emerson wrote:Digging around, it seems that 16.10 possibly has support, for this GPU, which might mesh with Resolve.

AMD has a 17.30 driver for Ubuntu 16.04 that works with your R7 - I'm running Resolve using the same driver with an R9 285 and it's working great - might be worth a try?

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

Kenan Alsamman

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Rick Emerson wrote:Thanks for posting your results! I tried the same thing and only got as far as

I tried using Synaptic to find the library and didn't find the libraries you mentioned. I did find some Nvidia libraries, but Synaptic commentary says they only support OpenCL V1.1. AFAIK, this isn't enough for resolve.

Where did you find the libraries you installed?

I'm also using 16.04 (earlier I mistakenly said 16.10 - I did have it installed but I reverted to a fresh install of 16.04).

I used this link to install libOpenCL.so: https://askubuntu.com/questions/796770/ ... -on-ubuntu

After I did that, I ran the program again and got another error for libssl.so10. If you get the same error, I used this link to install that as well: https://askubuntu.com/questions/339364/ ... -directory
Ensure you follow that posters instructions on correctly naming the file because the file name made by the developer are incorrect.

Once I did these 2 steps, I was able to open the intro screens but the actual Resolve 14 program still can't open.

I hope someone can help with this :?

Rick Emerson

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 am

I went to 16.10 (AFAIK, no obvious improvement for Resolve) and went through AskUbuntu to resolve the obvious library issues. I got as far as the initial greeting for a first-time use. Subsequent attempts to use Resolve fail.
system@system-p6531p:~/Desktop$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: 03C88B40
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,731 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,732 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,732 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
system@system-p6531p:~/Desktop$

Better still (in a relative sense), logs of the failures are being written:
[0x7f76b727ab40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:34:02,814 | Updating display GPU information...
OpenCL error -1001.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ReactorGPU::GPUException'

Some required information is missing for email crash report, the crash archive will not be updated

==========[CRASH DUMP]========
Please send this to support:
#TIME Mon Sep 25 23:34:02 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.0 (#078)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(_ZN7BtDebug14ReportSegfaultEiP7siginfoPv+0x44)[0x3b91684]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x9f)[0x7f769ee087ef]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7f769ee0a3ea]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7f769f44258d]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f336)[0x7f769f440336]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f381)[0x7f769f440381]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f599)[0x7f769f440599]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x749d33]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x748566]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x74279c]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x70ca3f]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x713cf3]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x714df2]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x715158]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xcdbe38]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0xcdd23c]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x71a082]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x71ae70]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(main+0x24f)[0x6fd4ff]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf1)[0x7f769edf33f1]
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve[0x6fc509]
Signal Number = 6
==============================

However, at the end of this adventure, Resolve 14 still isn't functioning at any usable level.

Kenan Alsamman

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 am

Rick Emerson wrote:I went to 16.10 (AFAIK, no obvious improvement for Resolve) and went through AskUbuntu to resolve the obvious library issues. I got as far as the initial greeting for a first-time use. That initial set of screens is as far as I got. Once

Attempts to use Resolve a second (or more) time fail.
system@system-p6531p:~/Desktop$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: 03C88B40
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,731 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,732 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fe403c88b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:36:39,732 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
system@system-p6531p:~/Desktop$

Better still (in a relative sense), logs of the failures are being written:
[0x7f76b727ab40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-25 23:34:02,814 | Updating display GPU information...
OpenCL error -1001.

Some required information is missing for email crash report, the crash archive will not be updated

#TIME Mon Sep 25 23:34:02 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.0 (#078)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/opt/resolve/bin/resolve(_ZN7BtDebug14ReportSegfaultEiP7siginfoPv+0x44)[0x3b91684]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7f769ee0a3ea]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7f769f44258d]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f336)[0x7f769f440336]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f381)[0x7f769f440381]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8f599)[0x7f769f440599]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf1)[0x7f769edf33f1]
Signal Number = 6

However, at the end of this adventure, Resolve 14 still isn't functioning at any usable level.

Yup. Looks like we're basically in the same boat now.

Rick Emerson

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

@Dwaine Is there anything else we can supply, in addition to the posted CODE items, that will help to move forward on this issue?

Rick Emerson

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 am

I went back to Ubuntu 16.04.3 from 16.10, doing a full erase in the process. 16.10 didn't help to
run Resolve. I decided to go back to the LTS Ubuntu instead of fooling around with MATE.

Anyway... the results are the same old thing. The intro screen and then nothing.
system@system-p6531p:~$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
/opt/resolve/bin/resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenCL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
system@system-p6531p:~$

I used Synaptic to load the missing libraries and tried again.
system@system-p6531p:~$ /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
New connection received.
Connection is closed.
log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (UI).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: C18F0B40
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,526 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,526 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,526 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
system@system-p6531p:~$

The debug log:
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,743 | Updating display GPU information...
OpenCL error -1001.

#TIME Wed Sep 27 00:18:26 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.0 (#078)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x38)[0x7ff3a9484428]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7ff3a948602a]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7ff3a9abe84d]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d6b6)[0x7ff3a9abc6b6]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d701)[0x7ff3a9abc701]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d919)[0x7ff3a9abc919]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0)[0x7ff3a946f830]
Signal Number = 6
ResolveDebug.txt (END)

The rollinglog:
system@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve/logs$ cat rollinglog.txt
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,526 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7ff3c18f0b40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-27 00:18:26,743 | Updating display GPU information...
system@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve/logs$

Same song, different day...

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 am

Rick Emerson wrote:Same song, different day...
This is actually a bit like my earlier problem. Although I'm using an Nvidia card and the error in the log is different. Have a look at my earlier post. I can't explain it but I have to do this hack every time after a clean OS install (Debian 9).

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p362425

Why it works is for me a mystery...
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Ian Duncan

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Has anybody got a DeckLink 4K Extreme working with CENTOS and Resolve?

I was able to install the software and the driver.

HArdware is installed:

# lspci | grep Blackmagic
02:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Extreme

However No Desktop Video Device Detected and then i enter:

# lsmod | grep blackmagic

it returns nothing

Anybody have any ideas?
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

Rick Emerson

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:05 am

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:
Rick Emerson wrote:Same song, different day...
This is actually a bit like my earlier problem. Although I'm using an Nvidia card and the error in the log is different. Have a look at my earlier post. I can't explain it but I have to do this hack every time after a clean OS install (Debian 9).

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=500#p362425

Why it works is for me a mystery...

Went there, did that, same song-different day - wash rinse repeat

I commented out the old entries with //'s and cut&paste the new stuff.
root@system-p6531p:/opt/resolve/configs# /opt/resolve/bin/resolve
14.0 (#078)
Main thread starts: EDC0FB40
[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,441 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,441 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,441 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@system-p6531p:

[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,646 | Updating display GPU information...
OpenCL error -1001.

#TIME Wed Sep 27 21:46:17 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.0 (#078)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x38)[0x7fb5d57a3428]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x38)[0x7fb5d57a3428]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7fb5d57a502a]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7fb5d5ddd84d]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d6b6)[0x7fb5d5ddb6b6]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d701)[0x7fb5d5ddb701]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d919)[0x7fb5d5ddb919]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0)[0x7fb5d578e830]
Signal Number = 6
ResolveDebug.txt (END)

[0x7fcf9c9f4b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:45:38,020 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fcf9c9f4b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:45:38,021 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fcf9c9f4b40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:45:38,021 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fcf9c9f4b40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:45:38,213 | Updating display GPU information...
[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Undefined            | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,441 | Loaded log config from /opt/resolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fb5edc0fb40] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-09-27 21:46:17,646 | Updating display GPU information...
rollinglog.txt (END)

OpenCL error -1001.

#TIME Wed Sep 27 00:18:26 2017 - Uptime 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
#FROM_EMAIL
#TO_EMAIL
#VERSION 14.0 (#078)
#SMTP_SERVER
#PROGRAM_NAME (64-bit)

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a)[0x7ff3a948602a]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(_ZN9__gnu_cxx27__verbose_terminate_handlerEv+0x16d)[0x7ff3a9abe84d]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d6b6)[0x7ff3a9abc6b6]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d701)[0x7ff3a9abc701]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6(+0x8d919)[0x7ff3a9abc919]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0)[0x7ff3a946f830]
Signal Number = 6
ResolveDebug_C2.txt (END)

wash rinse repeat

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 pm

Hello,

We manage to get Resolve 14 to Linux Mint 18.2 (Cinnamon) & NVIDIA. Seems good, build on Ubuntu 16.04.

We used the Ubuntu guide by AndréRodrigues (thanks to him). I converted the syntax to Mint, otherwise is very similar.

Update: Working LUTs and grades that stay saved.

Update: Linux/Mac (Win) Resolve dualboot - Circumvent import/export issues by prepping and finalizing projects in another OS

1. Terminal: sudo apt install libssl-dev

2. Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0

3. Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstbase-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstbase-0.10.so.0

4. Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10

5. Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

6. Download Resolve 14 from the official website

7. Unzip package and open the folder in the terminal

8. Install Resolve (shell or .deb)

8.1 Terminal: sudo sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.0_Linux.sh # run the installation

OR

8.2 Use makeresolvedeb to install (and uninstall) Resolve as a Debian package. (Thanks to Daniel Tufvesson)

9. Terminal: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade && sudo apt install build-essential && sudo apt install linux-source && sudo apt install linux-headers-generic

10. Terminal: sudo xed /etc/default/grub
(This is option. It lets you see startup and makes it quicker.)

10.1 In the opened archive look for the line:
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."

10.2 Change this line to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="profile"

10.3 Terminal: sudo update-grub2

11. Update the Nvidia driver.

11.1 Search for and open 'Driver Manager' in the Mint menu.

11.2 Change to the recommended NVIDIA driver. Apply. Mint replaces Nouveau driver in the background. :)

12. Install CUDA, following the NVIDIA guide.

13. Terminal: sudo apt install libpng12-0 (unavailable since Ubuntu 16.10, download here)

14. Terminal: sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

15. Reboot

16. UPDATE YOUR LUTS: This affects some users. You need the /LUT and /.LUT (hidden folder) from R14 Win/OSX install.

16.1 In /opt/resolve, backup your existing /LUT and /.LUT. (you need root access; Mint filemanager can 'open as root' with right-click).

16.2 Copy the new LUT folders into /opt/resolve/. (thanks to Philippe Galle.)

17. SAVE YOUR GRADES: By default, Resolve saves disk database and /Media in /opt/resolve. Bad idea. This can very quickly fill your root with optimized media, and leave your system unusable. Use of separate hard drives or partitions for /Media and the databases is thus recommended.

17.1 On your Scratch Disk, create e.g. /Resolve/Media. On your Database Disk, create e.g. /Resolve/Databases/yourdb.

17.2 Open Resolve.

17.3 The quick setup suggest /opt/resolve/Media. Replace with Scratch Disk/Resolve/Media.

17.4 Project Manager: Click 'Projects' in upper-left. You will see the default local database. Disconnect it.

17.5 Create a new Disk database and save into Db Disk/Resolve/Databases/yourdb. Remember to back it up. (thanks to Vassilis Kontodimas.)

18. RESOLVE SUPPORTS US. For optimum compatibility, use Resolve with a user account that has the language, region and default keyboard layout set to English (US).

Using another country layout may disable kb shortcuts. Using a separate language/region with v14 causes serious problem when Resolve saves the grades. (This issue is fixed as of v15b1.) (thanks to Fabrice Lapeyrere.)

THAT'S IT! You are ready to run the Resolve 14!

Notes.
SOUND (on v14) requires a BMD I/O card (Decklink / Intensity 4k). The Intensity shuttle (TB/USB3) has no Linux driver at this time.

According to Dwayne @ BMD, laptop users may get sound with an UltraStudio I/O device (e.g. Mini Monitor), if used via Thunderbolt port (the USB ports are not supported).

As of v15b1, System Audio is supported.

GPUs must support either CUDA 3.0 or OpenCL 1.2.

GeForce GTX's are officially supported via CUDA and perform well in an FP32 software like Resolve. Ati support exists, but is more uneven in different configs.

IMPORT FORMATS include
For video: Prores, DNxHD/HR + on Studio, h26x.
In free version, h26x is unsupported.

For audio: WAV, PCM, AIFF
AC3 and MP3 are unsupported.

Supported codecs for 12.5 (pdf)

Note that Prores encoding on Linux is only via Advanced Panel & special dongle.
No h26x encoding on Linux, only Win/Mac (Lite & Studio).

Rick Emerson, you need OpenCL development files. Is a step in Mint installation, which I added.

Try

17.- Terminal: sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev
Last edited by Sulo Kokki on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 am

@Ian: the DeckLink cards work fine in CentOS with Resolve. That's our standard Linux config.

What version of CentOS are you using?
Dwaine Maggart

Audacieuse-Galerie Sarl

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:55 am

Hello, we will see.
We attempted to edit a one-minute clip with proreis from an Atomos Ninja Inferno recorder. There are a problem.

After a save, and the reopening of the project, we find colors completely crazy. Violent blue, saturated red, 100% black on all clips that have been delicately adjusted. :( The Gain it's not correct. See capture.
Attachments
Capture d'écran de 2017-09-29 08-56-53.png
Capture d'écran de 2017-09-29 08-56-53.png (144.79 KiB) Viewed 288539 times
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve