Multicam and Audio Syn

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Danek

Multicam and Audio Syn

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm

I was looking at Magix Video Edit Pro and checked out how they did audio sync and multicam. I liked the approach and wondered why Resolve took a bin-only approach. In Magix, you can have a bunch of clips selected (one atop the other, of course) and select a single sync option. The clips then sync up based on waveform. It was quick and effective. You could move to another set of clips (like from another scene) and do repeat. Why might this be a bad/dumb idea? ...maybe it doesn't fit a particular workflow?

Then, kind of along the same lines, you could identify which tracks are sources (and, especially which is the master audio source), and then select the tracks/clips and just switch to a multicam editing mode. Again, not based on some pre-binned workflow.

I wonder about these things because, in my workflow, I like having all the clips in the timeline so I can do all the color correction in one fell swoop. Unless I misunderstand how Resolve works, I can't then bin these clips into separate bins where I could then do the sync/multicam stuff. I'd lose the color changes. Right/
RC Danek - System Configuration Information
-----
Intel e5-1620 CPU 3.6 Ghz
16 GB memory
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, x64 processor
HP Z420 Workstation
465 GB SSD
NVIDIA Aeorus 1080ti 11GB GDDR5
1920x1080, 8-bit, RGB, Standard Dynamic Range

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Multicam and Audio Syn

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 am

The Multicam clips can be "opened in timeline" to expose each of the sources, which then lets you grade them individually without loosing your multicam sync.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Richard Danek

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The Multicam clips can be "opened in timeline" to expose each of the sources, which then lets you grade them individually without loosing your multicam sync.

Thanks. I'll try that next time.

In Vegas Pro, I'm pretty sure I was able to apply effects at the media level as well as the track and clip level. I don't know if there's something similar in Resolve. I didn't see it. It's good to know I can do the Mulitcam thing and then the color after that. Will try that later today.
-----
16 GB memory
HP Z420 Workstation
465 GB SSD

Richard Danek

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The Multicam clips can be "opened in timeline" to expose each of the sources, which then lets you grade them individually without loosing your multicam sync.

I changed my post here because I ended up answering my own questions. I looked at Goat's Eye View for inspiration and learned something about copying grades using stills. Solved my problem! ...which was how to copy grades between takes.

Thanks for the help.
-----
16 GB memory
HP Z420 Workstation
465 GB SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve