Generate Optimized media crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NelsNorquist

Generate Optimized media crash

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Resolve 12.5.4.019
Win 10 Pro- Core I7 5820k 3.3 Ghz
Nvidea GTX 970

Just more of a feedback post than anything else. I have been converting much of my h264 footage to Pro Res to make things run smooth in Resolve. I decided to try "Generate Optimized media" in Resolve instead. I selected a bunch of clips and started to let it work. The estimated time seem to grow and I decided to cancel the operation. Resolve froze up at this point and Windows asked if it should end the task. I said yes and got out. There was 10gb of partially optimized media in the cache clip folder but I could not delete the folder in windows...It froze my PC. The project never got saved in Resolve before the crash so I couldn't delete it through Resolve.

Basically my scratch drive SSD seems to have become corrupt from this forced shut down of Resolve. It seems like when windows ended the task Resolve was still actively writing data to the drive. I am no PC guru, so maybe the two things are not related. Sure, it could be a coincidence and my SSD may have had some other problem at the same time. Reading and writing from the drive became sketchy and my PC froze many times and windows tried to repair the disk. But in the end I re formatted the SSD to take care of the problem. This could have been a major problem if the drive was full of crucial video or other data.

The forced shut down of Resolve seemed to really cause the biggest problem I have ever had with this PC. I keep my editing PC very clean with only necessary programs and don't surf the web with it. Anyhow, just wanted to let the programmers know in case others have reported anything similar..

Return to DaVinci Resolve