Project chokes on win 10

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Margus Voll

Project chokes on win 10

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi.

I have a project that chokes when i try to open it.
In a way it is open i see edit and nodes and all but i have no images and cache is not rendered.

Source is Arri 3.2 k Prores files.
It has happened to me before but i was assuming it was due Neat video on 5k timeline.
Now i have HD 1080p timeline and i experience similar results. Nothing happens when i open my project.
CPU and rams usage is also low.

Any ideas or how i could send info on that project file as i'm not long on Win 10 now.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Margus Voll

Re: Project chokes on win 10

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 am

Hi again.

Just a little update.

I managed to fiddle it working to the degree i managed to remove some nodes
and get it working again.

Seems that combination of OFX plugins like Neat or combination of Resolve internal ones
will make it halt and i get no error messages or crash. It just stands still and nothing happens.

This is not the first time like i described before. Like there is some kind of halt happening but
no crash or any error messages.

Seems to me like it is an issue that should be investigated a bit as it is reoccuring and i would say i will
see that more soon.

On last project i got one time error message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks87klna0w9j6 ... r.JPG?dl=0
Margus Voll, CSI

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 am

Hey, Margus. What hardware are you running?

I'm running an Alexa 2.8K MXF project currently and it's fine on Mac OSX, but I haven't hit it with any NR. Lots and lots of windows and blur windows, an occasional OFX plug-in (which I'm caching).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Margus Voll

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 am

I'm running it on win 10, i7 10 cored (OC at 4 ghz, super stable) and dual Titan Pascal, 128 gb ram.

Seems like on task manager in halt state Resolve uses 0,6% sometimes 5% of cpu and ram never goes over 15 gig which seems not good to me. I have installed ram specially for Fusion but we do not have color tools there.

Resolve seems not to use all that ram at all for now. Max ram usage i ever seen now is limited at 23 gig. Same goes to cpu usage as it is rather low 30 to hi 40 % I would see overall utilisation in much bigger numbers. Not directly linked to the issue maybe but for sidenote i saw i need to share my findings.

I have had 5k timelines as well and those work fine till i use Resolve OFX moderately and only built in NR. When i add some Naat or some other OFX all goes nuts and halts.

It seems to me that is does not depend on material as i have had that now on Alexa 2.2k and Epic 5k material. Also some other user have written me email that he has had similar issues (Satin OFX) and BM support can not comment or help on the subject. One reason i posted here is that it has better possibility that the matter would get handled and solved.

So my non educated guess now is that somewhere from Resolve to OFX and back there is some bottleneck and it doe s not say it is bad and Resolve also does not crash or say any errors. (see my earlier image Neat stating that Resolve does not give any data out to process)
Margus Voll, CSI

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 am

Is Neat the only plug-in that's causing trouble? I'm in the middle of a project that's using some Boris FX, and those have been fine.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Margus Voll

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 am

Hard to tell if that is the issue but i seems in a way like that as some OFX is causing it or it is a Win thing.

I'm hoping that someone on BM side would pick that issue up and see under the hood what is causing it
as i have had that on 2 jobs and other users have as well.

On mac i did not have that ever but i had to move to win as GPU ram was limited and machine got slow eventually.
Margus Voll, CSI

Pepijn Klijs

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Margus, try to install 373.06 nvidia driver and see if that helps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve