DaVinci 15 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

DaVinci 15 | Big feature request list.

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Because it is time!!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: DAVINCI 15 | Big feature request list.

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:16 pm

:D :D :D
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Jean Claude

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 pm

15- (14 ^ unknown) = I wait .. :D
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dermot Shane

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm

support for this;

we already know it's supported by Autodork and mapper, so through mapper... Pp, Mystika, Nucoda & Scratch, we don't know if it's supported by Resolve

Baselight & Pablo Rio are likely given the current support for Elements

Vastly more elegant than the "timewarp to 1998" design of the Advanced / Mini /Micro panels

waltervolpatto

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm

That panel look sexy. Price?

W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Alex Uzan

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm

We all agree that Resolve 14 is an impressive update.
But I feel a little disapointed (like a spoiled child) that some of my features requested (all of them actually :mrgreen: ) have not (yet) been implemented.

So here's a quote from the old thread

1) To be able to add a node to a TextTitle. For grading or fx.

2) Keep transparency of a compound clip.

3) Double-click in media pool to import media.

4) Curves for position keyframe.

5) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

6) A shortcut/button to export an image right from the timeline.

7) A new timeline created from a clip could have the same name by default.

8) A visual icon on optimized media thumbnail would be nice.

9) Optimizing in background.

10) An option to remove unused footages from bin. (there is a workaround with smart bins)

11) The ability to replace any file by another one.
I'm thinking about offline different sources.

12) When we select and split a clip on timeline, both parts are selected.
That's unusual, but I'm sure you had a good reason to do that :mrgreen:
Anyway, maybe adding a split which will select only one part (on Edius you can choose which part, it's very useful).

13) More keyboard shortcuts (clip attribute, duplicate timeline, etc...)

14) The ability to move forward and backward the playhead with the vertical wheel mouse.
And why not, to zoom in and out with horizontal wheel mouse.

15) A next/previous clip/edit that could work with all tracks, even if tracks selector are not active or clip selected.

Thank You BlackMagic :D
Last edited by Alex Uzan on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andreas Schwarz

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 pm

- mark clips in the edit pool, that are used in the timeline
- change clip order in the edit pool / media pool by click and drag (I really miss that to speed up rough cuts)
- option to dissable playhead snapping
- more render options on deliver page with estimated file size (very important!)
- more options for the titel generator, like individual line spacing and sizing in roll titles, preview of fonts (premier is far ahead)
- the ability to move the selected part of a clip in the viewer to choose another part of the clip without changing the length of the selection (like in premiere).
-keyframes in the timeline for position (Transform)
- more intergrated audio effects in fairlight (denoiser, dehummer, Reverb etc....but this is a luxury request)

I have not tested the sound page yet, but I am very happy, that it has been added to Resolve! Great move!

waltervolpatto

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 am

5) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

+1

Giordano Lu

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 am

Just looked at the images of new audio features, and ... I didnt see.. CROSSFADES !!!
Not talking about applying a transition onto a cut (to make the cross fades)
Talking about something like Vegas (still my favorite audio editor ever), in which I can simply overlap one clip onto another and automatically the crossfades show up. I can do literally magic with this . Once I was able to correct grammar in a bad spoken English dialogue.

and my second cent, zoom waveform (just the representation, not the actual clip/track height, and not the audio level, just to be able to see better very low sound levels) without having to zoom vertically the tracks.
I7 7700K, 32G, 16T, GTX1070 | NVIDIA 385.28 | DR 14.1 | MiniMonitor 4K | DesktopVideo 10.9.7 | Windows 10

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:54 am

waltervolpatto wrote:5) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

+1

....yes, that is very unconvenient most of the time. The playhead should stay on its position....

joaomoutinho

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:45 am

Really cool what they have done with the implementation of the "Fairlight" tab. Taking adobe aproach of software dialog, making it easy and under the same roof, avoiding RAM battles and software priorities and constant crashes like adobe NLE, DAW and Compositing softwares...

Not sure of the 10 times faster architecture because I have not tested it yet, but I am sure it has improved a lot.

It would be really cool, in some future major version, to include FUSION in a seemless workflow like the one just now released. It would be amazing to have the "Fusion" tab next to the "Edit" tab...

I hope the guys from Blackmagic listen to this little advice: There is a company that makes the worlds best codec, for aquisition (in-camera) and to edit (Resolve or other NLE) with the help of a regular gaming graphics card (nvidia 980) you can edit REAL TIME 4 8K streams of footage up to 1100FPS. This is a game changer codec! Blackmagic being a game changer company should work close with the guys that developed this codec solution, the company that makes this codec is CINEGY and the codec is named "Daniel2".

You can literally bring to consumers a huge leap forward, being the catalist of a peak in technology and inovation.

Thank you very much for all the possibilities and solutions that you give to people!!

Sam Steti

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 am

Andreas Schwarz wrote:...
- option to dissable playhead snapping

Pleeeeeaaaase....
This will deliver a lot of editors from a useless loss of time (and therefore get Resolve closer to other NLEs)...
Furthermore, everybody should be ok with this (moreover if it's an option only), because everybody encounters issues when approaching the beginning/end of a clip to trim, and then the playhead snaps where it's not wanted...
And yes, zooming in before and out after the operation can partially help but no, this is not a real solution.
I think you could put it in v. 14 actually :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Marc Wielage

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:43 am

Alex Uzan wrote:When we select and split a clip on timeline, both parts are selected. That's unusual, but I'm sure you had a good reason to do that :mrgreen:

This one makes me crazy. I totally wish it would only select the second half of the clip.

waltervolpatto wrote:5) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always move the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

Yep, that too.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Wouter Verwijlen

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:20 am

And a few others related to editing (let me know if they happen to be in there already, I might have overlooked them):
  • Custom effect presets
  • Shift+scroll -> Horizontal scrolling in timeline (isn't currently working for me)
  • Use mark in or out to move your cut in dynamic trim mode (while playing with Spacebar)
  • Send audio clips to external audio editor (like RX or Wavelab)
  • Option to left click anywhere in the timeline to freely move the playhead around (like in Avid when the Smart Tool is disabled), perhaps by using a modifier like shift.
Last edited by Wouter Verwijlen on Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Paines

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Andreas Schwarz wrote:- - option to dissable playhead snapping

Surely you know that's already possible? Or did you have something else in mind? It would be nice if they fixed that bug which forces the playhead to snap to the transition when the playhead and the graphic of the trim tool overlap, but you can at least turn snapping off for this operation and then use the "E" command to trim to the playhead. (Note that invoking a trim tool with snapping off can in some cases resize the timeline. But the playhead doesn't actually move.)

There are also shortcuts which trim to the playhead without having to select a trim tool or alter snapping behavior.

Andreas Schwarz wrote:- the ability to move the selected part of a clip in the viewer to choose another part of the clip without changing the length of the selection (like in premiere).

Do you mean slipping? But of course that's already possible, in both the timeline and source viewer. Or is it something else?

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 pm

John Paines wrote:
Andreas Schwarz wrote:- - option to dissable playhead snapping

Surely you know that's already possible? Or did you have something else in mind? It would be nice if they fixed that bug which forces the playhead to snap to the transition when the playhead and the graphic of the trim tool overlap, but you can at least turn snapping off for this operation and then use the "E" command to trim to the playhead. (Note that invoking a trim tool with snapping off can in some cases resize the timeline. But the playhead doesn't actually move.)

There are also shortcuts which trim to the playhead without having to select a trim tool or alter snapping behavior.

Andreas Schwarz wrote:- the ability to move the selected part of a clip in the viewer to choose another part of the clip without changing the length of the selection (like in premiere).

Do you mean slipping? But of course that's already possible, in both the timeline and source viewer. Or is it something else?
...Yes, slipping is the right word...How do you do it in the source viewer???? I cant find a way! :roll:

Olivier MATHIEU

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 pm

...Yes, slipping is the right word...How do you do it in the source viewer???? I cant find a way! :roll:

Shift and drag in or out point ... like Final Cut Pro 7 ;-)
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

John Paines

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Andreas Schwarz wrote:Yes, slipping is the right word...How do you do it in the source viewer???? I cant find a way! :roll:

1) hit "T" (for Trim mode)

2) on the timeline, position the cursor on the upper portion of the clip and drag right or left. If you're on the lower half, you'll be sliding, not slipping. The icons are different.

3) in source viewer, click shift the in or out point and drag in either direction

Olivier MATHIEU

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

to clarify : In the Source Viewer you don't need to be in Trim Mode ...
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 pm

...maybe there is some misunderstanding here...I want to change the portion of the clip, but keep the length of the selection. In a other words, i want to shift the whole bar icon beneath the source viewer ...
Last edited by Andreas Schwarz on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm

John Paines wrote:
Andreas Schwarz wrote:Yes, slipping is the right word...How do you do it in the source viewer???? I cant find a way! :roll:

1) hit "T" (for Trim mode)

2) on the timeline, position the cursor on the upper portion of the clip and drag right or left. If you're on the lower half, you'll be sliding, not slipping. The icons are different.

3) in source viewer, click shift the in or out point and drag in either direction

...3 does not work...?

Olivier MATHIEU

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm

slip_viewer_source.png
Slip : Shift and Drag In or out
slip_viewer_source.png (63.56 KiB) Viewed 63330 times

That are the in ou Out I'm talking about !
Still misunderstood ? :-)
MacbookPro M2 Max

John Paines

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 pm

It absolutely does work. Are you holding down shift while you drag?

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Olivier MATHIEU wrote:
slip_viewer_source.png

That are the in ou Out I'm talking about !
Still misunderstood ? :-)
...thanks, that s clear...and now i want to move the grey bar to the left or right, so that the lenght of the selection stays the same... :)
Last edited by Andreas Schwarz on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:06 pm

John Paines wrote:It absolutely does work. Are you holding down shift while you drag?
...yes, I do :roll:

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Amazing, how about 50% of this wishlist can be scratched, just by reading the manual ;)
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 pm

...now i got it. Its possible, to slip clips in the source viewer, that are in the timeline. But its not possible, to slip clips, that are not in the timeline :) (thats, what i tried all the time, and what is possible in premiere) ....Thanks for your help, guys!

manuel_songokuh

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

hi
version 14.00 is amazing! so i wish(repeat) to say add little feature:

session: COLOR-->>keyframe:

A-
scroll wheel mouse in area keyframes: zoom in and out like as that TOOL ZOOM in and out for range timeline of keyframe.

B-
SNAP: a keyframe to snap to playhead line (red line vertical in timeline of keyframe) because i move a keyframe to other place so need SNAP to playhead

C-
ADD shortcut: CTRL+V (paste) in all parameters of SIZING : node sizing,editing sizing,input sizing,output sizing, reference sizing) because 12.5 has only: CTRL-X,,, why is one..?!!

D-
value number in parameter: 0.000 but what is unit for? PIXEL (square) or PERCENTAGE (%). please add little feature: UNIT PIXEL, (changeble) to UNIT PERCENTAGE (%), this is needs for all parameter of DAVINCI RESOLVE..please

E-
I'm very annoying :x :x
i active clips (window) and NODES (window) this is my needed but when i click MEDIA or EDIT from COLOR panel and return to COLOR: result closed windows: NODES, CLIPS! so i repeat re-actived NODES, CLIPS.. but how i want PIN STOP it..how? maybe is it need new feature for PIN IT after change panel? (also save my project file for next time starts my project save all my windows..?)

F-
add keyboard shortcut: add dynamic keyframe in area KEYFRAMES..

thank you

Alex Uzan

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Amazing, how about 50% of this wishlist can be scratched, just by reading the manual ;)

Allright.
Just name only one of my wishlist that I missed in the manual.

I would love to be wrong :mrgreen:

John Paines

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah, yours are all real. But I'm not sure why we're doing this now.... There's so much in stability and feature-set they have to sort out in 14.

Which is probably why Peter Chamberlain didn't create a user-feedback thread for 14 -- all the work they're *already* aware of.

Arian Wichmann

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:04 am

So I only have a small wish for a small color grading quality-of-life idea.

- Let us add a clip to multiple groups.

So far I use groups to organize clips after scenes. I like to use some scene wide effects like noise reduction or graining so I can easily turn them on and off for the whole group of clips. But I would also like to put clips into groups for shot reverse shot just to speed up working.

That would be nice.

Andreas Schwarz

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 am

Arian Wichmann wrote:So I only have a small wish for a small color grading quality-of-life idea.

- Let us add a clip to multiple groups.

So far I use groups to organize clips after scenes. I like to use some scene wide effects like noise reduction or graining so I can easily turn them on and off for the whole group of clips. But I would also like to put clips into groups for shot reverse shot just to speed up working.

That would be nice.
+++++ Would be great! That was the first thing i was looking for, when I started to work with groups!

Mary Jiménez

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:26 am

ONE WISH that keeps me from editing in Resolve:
- while trimming, and using the "U" back and forward of either side : please imitate Media composer and allocate the left and right images to each of the viewers, left and right, and not only to the right viewer.
If not possible, allow the Full SCREEN mode to reflect both sides of the trim edit. Now if the Trim mode
is selected if one goes to full mode (it reflects both side) but it doesn't work.,

Jean Claude

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

In the "color" tab when adding a powerwindows (exemple), it is possible to view it in the monitor beyond a BMD card. This makes it possible, for example, to make an accurate adjustment of the effect. (in large)

There is no equivalent in the "Edit" tab. However, when using the transform or other keyframe effect Transform / crop / dinamic zoom or overlay, it would make it possible to be more precise. (Or I have not found how to operate :?: )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Margus Voll

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:That panel look sexy. Price?

Some say about 15 k range.

I would see ideally updated advanced panel instead as Mini already seems like center console for it.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Because it is time!!!

Is it? I mean, I haven't even been able to get Resolve 14 to start up, it's so buggy.

Maybe a few months after real world use of the final release would be a better time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Amazing, how about 50% of this wishlist can be scratched, just by reading the manual ;)

Was just about to say the same exact thing! Just because someone doesn't know how to do it, doesn't mean it's not already there!

Great minds... :D
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 5:54 pm

My old Quicktime movies won't play on the free Linux version, but high-end RAW files from Arri, Red and Sony are fine.

48K Audio from my A7S won't play on any OS or version, but the AVCHD video from the camera is fine.

But everything can be read by ffmpeg and be played on Linux with ffplay, including H.264. There may be legal reasons for not including particular formats, and while I also understand the desire for product differentiation (e.g., UHD v. 4K, noise reduction, etc.), it seems some of the file format/codec limitations make little sense. High-end formats are on the free version, while low-end formats are only on the Studio version.

How about file format plugins ala OFX? Most of the formats are well known and open source. It would not be that difficult for users to write and add them just like OFX plugins.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Spencer_Meyer

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Giordano Lu wrote:Just looked at the images of new audio features, and ... I didnt see.. CROSSFADES !!!
Not talking about applying a transition onto a cut (to make the cross fades)
Talking about something like Vegas (still my favorite audio editor ever), in which I can simply overlap one clip onto another and automatically the crossfades show up. I can do literally magic with this .

You can do Shift+Option and drag (edit point or whole clip) to overlap audio (or video), this automatically adds transition.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Oli Koos

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 am

Hey folks,
I would love to see:
- OFX beeing keyframeable in the edit page (in the same way as standart clip settings like "transform" and "cropping" are)
- clip attributes (OFX and standart clip settings) saveable and copy-pastable in the edit page.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:58 pm

That's why I think this thread is very premature. Let's delete the entire thing and wait at least for the final version to ship.

That will keep the "already there" feature requests (which might drown out the genuinely needed feature requests) down to a minimum.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Nick Lear

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 5:14 pm

I am grateful for BMD for implementing some of our requests - e.g. next clip/edit now has a partial solution in that if the highlighted clip is off screen, it ignores it, deselects it and goes to next edit. That's great. Oh and the stabiliser is amazing - I'm going to be putting shots into the beta (on my laptop) just for that!

Can't believe Duplicate frames indicator didn't make it - surely that's quite an easy win? But I suppose we all have different things we really wanted.

Also, it would be nice to only have to reach for one modifier to swap clip order in the timeline, rather than two (ctrl-shift), as it's such a common operation in editing.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

John Paines

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I am grateful for BMD for implementing some of our requests - e.g. next clip/edit now has a partial solution in that if the highlighted clip is off screen, it ignores it, deselects it and goes to next edit. That's great.

Thankful for that improvement, but I wonder why they didn't listen to us(!??!), and go whole hog -- next/previous completely independent of clip selection? Or at least a switch to turn off automatic clip selection mode and decouple the playhead from any given selection. There *is* precedent, with other switches in Resolve, for that sort of user accommodation.

For me at least, this issue can't be over-flogged. And it's hard to believe that, among editors, there's any constituency for the current design.

Nick Lear

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:22 am

John Paines wrote:For me at least, this issue can't be over-flogged. And it's hard to believe that, among editors, there's any constituency for the current design.

I think that's the rub - that they're not just designing for editors, but for everyone & for example colorists are used to the next clip command on the Color page. I do think they could give us an option for Next Edit hidden away in the keyboard editor, but I also have some sympathy for the process of not over complicating things or changing too much from previous versions.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Andre Grossmann

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:12 am

Would like to see the option to freeze the scopes during playback.

Reason: I have performance problems on my machine while the scopes are on. So I have to switch them of to get the full frame rate. It would be great, if Resolve would stop refreshing the scopes during playback.

John Paines

PostTue May 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I think that's the rub - that they're not just designing for editors, but for everyone & for example colorists are used to the next clip command on the Color page. I do think they could give us an option for Next Edit hidden away in the keyboard editor, but I also have some sympathy for the process of not over complicating things or changing too much from previous versions.

I have less sympathy but more faith..... Some day.

And if they'd only add that *other* option -- to switch cursor function to the timeline when adding clips from the media pool. As of 12.5.5, you do get timeline cursor function when using function keys to add clips from the media pool, but not for right click commands (insert, append, etc.) or dragging and dropping to the program monitor overlay.

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:06 am

Andre Grossmann wrote:Would like to see the option to freeze the scopes during playback. Reason: I have performance problems on my machine while the scopes are on. So I have to switch them of to get the full frame rate. It would be great, if Resolve would stop refreshing the scopes during playback.

I agree -- I solved this problem by not using Resolve's internal scopes and instead using external Scopebox scopes. (You could also use BMD's external UltraScopes.) This does take a bit of a load off the system running Resolve. It also gives you real-time scopes while rendering, which you can't do otherwise.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tomek Cobas

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Nr 1 - Edit Page
The thing thats keeping me from using Resolve as an editing application is full GUI modularity and customization. That's including things like pancake editing. I think I've read somewhere that this is not as much a technical hurdle for BMD rather an internal software design philosophy not to let the end user customize the GUI for his/her needs. While for color grading this is not as painful. Editing Is a very different can of worms and in my opinion this is just unaceptable. Considering That some editing apps have this nailed down for decades now. It just plain bizare.

Nr 2 - Color Page
Something closely related - Ability to undock scopes from main UI while in double screen mode.

Nr 3 - Color Page
Something I posted about in this forum in 2014 :) If this is implemented in V14 please disregard. It would be very helpfull if upon opening a project we would be "transported" to the exact position on the timeline that we stopped working before closing the app. in 12,5 i think this is still just random and frustrating as heck :).

Nr 4 - Deliver Page
Please correct me if Im wrong but in V11 on export Page after setting up all your export setting - including file names and file path, this data would be saved even after restarting resolve. This was super helpfull. Now in 12.5 after exporting and restarting resolve - File name window is empty. This is handy when exporting diferent sections of the timeline mutliple times.

Nr 5 - Deliver Page - When exporting sections of the timeline - ability to automatically add "in point" timecode to the file name.

Nr 5 - Color Page
If this is something that already is avilable or maybe exlusive to Big Panels please correct me. Ability to apply Grades from Power grades to multiple clips not only to the end of the node tree but also to the begining or after first node - after second node etc.

Nr 6 - Color Page
Im going to say this just in case - FIX CACHE :)

Nr 7 - Color Page - Lightbox
In versions of Resolve below 12,5 when navigating light box - upon going to the next clip the lighbox screen would stay still (on the grade from witch You want to copy from). Now in V12,5 when going to the next clip the whole lightbox window centers on the clip the playhead is on. This makes copying grades a real pain.

Nr 8 - Color Page
Ability to create Project specific power grades that will be visible only on specific group of projects - not all projects.

N9 - Color Page
And this one is a plea for help from the community really not so much a feature reqest :) (or is it?)
In prev versions of resolve - below 12,5 - When grading a multitrack timeline. When grading only the highest track with lower tracks disabled. Resolve would skip lover tracks an go straight to next clip on the higher track. In 12,5. What is happening is that in thumbnail timeline i see only clips from enabled track but instead of skipping to the next clip on enabled track Resolve doesn't skip but plays "black image" until it reaches the next clip on the enabled track.

N10 - Every PAGE
Please make it compulsory to save a project before starting actual work on a project. Every time I come to resolve from a diferent app, it takes a little time to remember that if You wont click "save" immediately on creating a project - no autosaves will be created. Last week i realized i did not do that 6h into the project, I almost had a hart attack :) This time all was well but I had couple of instances when i realized the same thing the hard way - after the crash.

N11 - SCOPES
This comes down also to to GUI customozation - Ability to customize scope windows - Ability to put up for example Waveform monitor in Y mode and second one in RGB mode at the same time. Shortcuts for turning on and off diferent scopes -shortcuts for turnning on/off Y RGB on scopes etc.

VitusSoska

PostSat May 20, 2017 11:06 am

My #1 wish would be shortcuts for these tools. Pretty annoying to use mouse everytime to change the tool.

Intel i9-9900K,
32GB DDR4,
AMD RADEON VII 16GB VRAM,
WINDOWS 10 Pro, DR17PB9

Uli Plank

PostSat May 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Since the LUT you may have activated for viewing in the Ursa Mini is indicated in the metadata, there should be an option to apply it in Resolve automatically. Even better than being able to bake it in (which is not possible).
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve