DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 pm

OH YEAH! DaVinci 14 on Ubuntu! SWEEEET!

I created a tutorial for those who want try it. It's really easy, just follow the steps. The things after # is not commands, are just the explanation of the command line.

Process:

1- Install this lib:

2- Terminal: sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

3- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

4- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0

5- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstbase-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstbase-0.10.so.0

6- Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10

7- Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

8- Download Resolve 14 from the official website:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

9- Unzip package and open terminal:

10- su root # and put your password

11- navigate to install folder that you unzip

12- sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.0b1_Linux.sh # run the installation

13- update the nvidia driver, IMPORTANT PATH and if you don't do this, you will get stucked in a black screen every time you try to turn of the X lightdm. Open terminal and execute the following commands:

13.1- Terminal: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install linux-source && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

13.2- Terminal: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

13.3- In the opened archive look for the line:
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."

13.4- Change this line to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash nomodeset"

*this forces low-level graphics to ensure putty does not give black screen.

13.5- Terminal: sudo update-grub2

13.6- Terminal: sudo apt-get remove nvidia* && sudo apt-get autoremove # ensures no former installation clashes with new install

13.7 Terminal: sudo reboot

14- After reboot download the NVidia Driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

15- After download the right version for your GPU, go to the download folder, click with the right button and go to properties. On the second tab (permissions) mark the checkbox "Allow Executing File as a Program" and close the properties window.

16- Terminal: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

17.1- In the archive opened add these lines at the end:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist lbm-nouveua
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

17.2- Save and close the archive

18- Open a putty-terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1

18.1- Putty-Terminal: su root # and put your password

18.2- Putty-Terminal: sudo service lightdm stop # stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation

18.3- Navigate to the folder where the nvidia driver was downloaded and execute it

18.4- Putty-Terminal: sudo ./NVIDIADriverName.run

18.5- Putty-Terminal: sudo nano /etc/default/grub

18.6- In the opened file, go to the same line as before and change to it:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

18.7- Hit F3 to save the file

18.8- Hit F2 to close the file

18.9- Putty-Terminal sudo update-grub2

19- Putty-Terminal: sudo reboot

The driver is installed! Now last steps:

20- Install this lib:
https://packages.debian.org/pt-br/jessie/libpng12-0
(at the end of the page, click on the link of your processor and dowload the .deb. Than use GDebi to install it)

THAT'S IT! You a ready to run the Resolve 14!

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Sadly the audio part is not working yet, they are working on it. U only will have audio if you have a BM DeckLink. If not, you will got no sound. But they are working on a drive for it.

On CentOS 7 it's all working fine as I heard. Gonna test today.

But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

It's the beta version so all these bugs are spected. At least we have the program! :D

MY PC SPECS:

MOBO: z270X Aoros Gigabyte Gaming 5
PROC: i7 7700k + Cooler Master Hyper X212
VGA: MSI GTX 1070 8GB DDR5
RAM: 32GB Ram Crucial Elite
STORAGE 1: SSD 480GB Kingston
STORAGE 2: SSD 128GB Samdisk
STORAGE 3: SSHD Seagate 1TB + Cooler HD
STORAGE 4: HD Seagate 2TB
FONTE: EVGA 600W BQ
Last edited by AndréRodrigues on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 am

IT's ALIVE!

But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

It's the beta version so all these bugs are spected. At least we have the program! :D

1 - https://ibb.co/du6E6Q
2 - https://ibb.co/kXjZ6Q
3 - https://ibb.co/izzsRQ
4 - https://ibb.co/g41iY5
Offline

Alessandro Fontana

  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu - IT's ALIVE!

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 am

For color tab change the 10 bit depth to 8 bit in the project preference.
The big problem is the "missing 3Dlut", on Ubuntu I can't use 3LUT.
Other problem on Ubuntu 17.04 is the Decklink driver that doesn't work with linux kernel 4.10, so not audio also if you have one BM card.

On CentOS 7 all works right, 10 bit too.
Offline

Bryan Worsley

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:26 am
  • Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu - IT's ALIVE!

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

I tried it last night on Kubuntu 16.10 (AMD 64). This was a PC that I'd relegated for linux tinkering with fairly mediocre hardware specs - AMD FX6300 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT730, 8GB RAM - but I had previously run an early version of Resolve 12 (free) on it with Win 7 and it was adequate for HD material.

The installation appeared to proceed OK, as per the instructions. Only departure I noticed was at step:

18.2- Putty-Terminal: sudo service lightdm stop # stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation

....where it reported that lightdm was not loaded so there was nothing to stop.

And, a minor point - couldn't get into root with su root, so used sudo -s.

Anyhow Resolve was there and opened OK. Tried a couple of HD-AVC.mp4 clips first - but opening in the the Media Storage directory and Media Pool they showed only audio. Tried Cineform.avi and DNxHD.mov transcodes of the same (created with Resolve 12.5.5 in Windows) - freeze-up. Tried a UHD AVC.mp4 clip - no chance, immediate crash.

Thoughts:

Most likely the hardware specs are inadequate, for Resolve 14 beta at least ? Maybe try an earlier 12.5 version if linux builds are still available for them ?

Distro incompatibility ? Worth trying again with Ubuntu ?

Any suggestions ?

Edit: Oh yes, one other thing. I did follow the installation steps exactly, including downloading the NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.39) from the NVIDIA driver webpage and installing it as instructed - instead of re-installing the driver from the Ubuntu 16.10.1 core repository ( 375.39-0ubuntu0.16.10.1). When I first opened Resolve and saw that those HD-AVC.mp4 clips only showed up as audio, I checked the Driver Manager and found that the default "Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" was selected. So I changed it back to "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.39 from nvidia-375 (Recommended Driver)" and it went through the driver installation again. After rebooting it didn't make a difference - same issue with the test clips.
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu - IT's ALIVE!

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Alessandro Fontana wrote:For color tab change the 10 bit depth to 8 bit in the project preference.
The big problem is the "missing 3Dlut", on Ubuntu I can't use 3LUT.
Other problem on Ubuntu 17.04 is the Decklink driver that doesn't work with linux kernel 4.10, so not audio also if you have one BM card.

On CentOS 7 all works right, 10 bit too.



Thx for the reply. Same here. No Audio.

Gonna test on CentOS 7 soon :D
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu - IT's ALIVE!

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I tried it last night on Kubuntu 16.10 (AMD 64). This was a PC that I'd relegated for linux tinkering with fairly mediocre hardware specs - AMD FX6300 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT730, 8GB RAM - but I had previously run an early version of Resolve 12 (free) on it with Win 7 and it was adequate for HD material.

The installation appeared to proceed OK, as per the instructions. Only departure I noticed was at step:

18.2- Putty-Terminal: sudo service lightdm stop # stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation

....where it reported that lightdm was not loaded so there was nothing to stop.

And, a minor point - couldn't get into root with su root, so used sudo -s.

Anyhow Resolve was there and opened OK. Tried a couple of HD-AVC.mp4 clips first - but opening in the the Media Storage directory and Media Pool they showed only audio. Tried Cineform.avi and DNxHD.mov transcodes of the same (created with Resolve 12.5.5 in Windows) - freeze-up. Tried a UHD AVC.mp4 clip - no chance, immediate crash.

Thoughts:

Most likely the hardware specs are inadequate, for Resolve 14 beta at least ? Maybe try an earlier 12.5 version if linux builds are still available for them ?

Distro incompatibility ? Worth trying again with Ubuntu ?

Any suggestions ?

Edit: Oh yes, one other thing. I did follow the installation steps exactly, including downloading the NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.39) from the NVIDIA driver webpage and installing it as instructed - instead of re-installing the driver from the Ubuntu 16.10.1 core repository ( 375.39-0ubuntu0.16.10.1). When I first opened Resolve and saw that those HD-AVC.mp4 clips only showed up as audio, I checked the Driver Manager and found that the default "Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" was selected. So I changed it back to "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.39 from nvidia-375 (Recommended Driver)" and it went through the driver installation again. After rebooting it didn't make a difference - same issue with the test clips.



The DaVinci Resolve is made only for Red Hat Enterprise / CentOS distro. I'm justing trying make it works on Ubuntu :D

The Lightdm stop is only for those who get the instruction "u need stop the X before install this". If u didn't need it its fine anyway :D

su root, -s and others are the same, depend of the system u have different ways to go root on linux :D

And yes, the bugs are looots, but they will work on it for sure :D

The problem with use the 12.5 version for me its because it is too slow. At least on the windows version, 12.5 was almost impossible to edit, really slow software. The 14 version looks amazing and waaaay faster. But need the improvements until they have the final version for sure.

Today I'm gonna test it on CentOS and let's see how it is :D
Offline

Bryan Worsley

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:26 am
  • Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I'll maybe try CentOS also, but anyone know where I can find a 12.5 linux build as I strongly suspect that the hardware is just not up to it for the 14 beta?

Anyhow, no big shakes if this doesn't work out...for me. It's just nice to have a linux option (for most things) should things go wonky with Windows.....and visa-versa of course.

Edit: And now, booting into Kubuntu again, I find that by some miracle those Cineform avi (and mov) transcodes now open in the Resolve 14 beta install. Still freezes with the DNxHD.mov transcodes and audio only with HD-AVC.mp4 clips, but the fact that I've got something to work is encouraging.
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I'll maybe try CentOS also, but anyone know where I can find a 12.5 linux build as I strongly suspect that the hardware is just not up to it for the 14 beta?

Anyhow, no big shakes if this doesn't work out...for me. It's just nice to have a linux option (for most things) should things go wonky with Windows.....and visa-versa of course.

Edit: And now, booting into Kubuntu again, I find that by some miracle those Cineform avi (and mov) transcodes now open in the Resolve 14 beta install. Still freezes with the DNxHD.mov transcodes and audio only with HD-AVC.mp4 clips, but the fact that I've got something to work is encouraging.



That's strange. Hope the guys read this here.

I think the 14 version is working fine on CentOS, some people reported everything was fine.

But u can download the 12.5 version on the same website :D
Offline

Bryan Worsley

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:26 am
  • Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Can't render out to Cineform of course (no GoPro Studio) and rendering to DNxHD again crashes Resolve - wonder why this issue with DNxHD specifically on import and export. But Grass Valley HQ and HQX render OK, and uncompressed 422 10-bit.

AndréRodrigues wrote:But u can download the 12.5 version on the same website :D


You're right ;)

Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?

BTW:
AndréRodrigues wrote:But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

I'm getting preview on the Color page as normal.
Offline

AndréRodrigues

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:Can't render out to Cineform of course (no GoPro Studio) and rendering to DNxHD again crashes Resolve - wonder why this issue with DNxHD specifically on import and export. But Grass Valley HQ and HQX render OK, and uncompressed 422 10-bit.

You're right ;)

Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?


Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

Bryan Worsley wrote:
I'm getting preview on the Color page as normal.


That's strange. Maybe video card bug or something. Definetely we need wait the final version to see how its gonna be.
Offline

Bryan Worsley

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:26 am
  • Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 am

AndréRodrigues wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:
Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?


Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>


You might think so and that resolve is the application name, but I've tried every permutation of resolve with and without davinci and always 'Unable to locate package'. And can't see anything listing in an apt-cache or dpkg search.

It's maybe different because it was a .sh install package ? The binary itself is located at /opt/resolve/bin/resolve. Can't see any uninstall script in the folder and an .sh extension file search turns up nothing.
Offline

Ian McKenzie

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 am

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 pm

[quote="AndréRodrigues"]OH YEAH! DaVinci 14 on Ubuntu! SWEEEET!

I created a tutorial for those who want try it. It's really easy, just follow the steps. The things after # is not commands, are just the explanation of the command line.


17.1- In the archive opened add these lines at the end:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist lbm-nouveua
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

Many thanks Andre, I got resolve 14 beta to run on Ubuntu 16.04 but it sees all my video files from the GH5 ie mp4, mov as audio files so it's not working at the moment. It can handle jpegs so I suppose that's something. ;)
Anyway, there is a spelling mistake in the line "blacklist lbm-nouveua", if that matters.
Hopefully things will be sorted before too long.
Offline
User avatar

Noel Sterrett

  • Posts: 314
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Just installed Resolve 14.2 on Ubuntu 16.04. So far, it's better than CentOS 7.

Thanks Andre for the links.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Ubuntu 18.04 | Asus Z10 Xeon*2 32G | GTX 1080 8G | Resolve Studio 15b3 | Desktop Video 10.9.11
Offline

inaki6664

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm
  • Real Name: Inaki Diaz

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello,
I need help. Following the instructions, I have installed Davinci Resolve 14.3 in Ubuntu 17.10 and at the time of starting resolve, when it is loading the modules, it stops. I have also tried with the distribution of CentOs 7 that Blackmagic provides and the same thing happens.
With davinci resolve 12.5 works fine.
The PC is an intel core 2 Quad 2.5Ghz
8 gb ram
nvidia gfx 1050Ti
samsung ssd evo
Can it be a problem with the hardware?
Is it mandatory to have a declink card?

Thank you very much for your help

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 14 guests