copy timeline elements between projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarcusWolschon

copy timeline elements between projects

PostThu May 04, 2017 3:59 pm

I have a long stage show.
Many cameras. Recording is split up into scenes anyway because of act-breaks and intermissions in-between scenes within an act.
1 Resolve project per scene to keep things managable and allow me to either take a single scene with me on a laptop to edit on the road or to hand it to an assistant.

To deliver previews I have a 4K timeline containing the edited timeline in 1080p, an overview of all camera angles in SD and some generators for a lower-third with infos, a 10step brightness ramp and an SMPTE color bar.

Is there any way I can copy the last 3 tracks or the single generator within from one project into all the others without having to note down all positions, sizes and fonts and recreate them in each other project?

Marc Wielage

Re: copy timeline elements between projects

PostFri May 05, 2017 3:47 am

It's possible you could use Dynamic Project Switching to select a piece of a timeline in one project, copy it, then switch to the other project and paste that section in it. I have done this with short sections before with no problem. I have also used this as a way of breaking up large convoluted timelines into simpler ones.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Igor Riđanović

PostSat May 06, 2017 12:47 am

You can even do it without dynamic project switching. Any timeline clips copied in one project's timeline can be pasted into another project's timeline. This will also create instances of the clips in the bin.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

MarcusWolschon

PostSat May 06, 2017 5:48 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:You can even do it without dynamic project switching. Any timeline clips copied in one project's timeline can be pasted into another project's timeline. This will also create instances of the clips in the bin.

Just copy to clipboard, go to the project manager via the home button, open the other project (thus closing the last one) and past it into a timeline?
I didn't think this would be possible because the old project is closed at that point.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Hector Corcin

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Igor Riđanović wrote:You can even do it without dynamic project switching. Any timeline clips copied in one project's timeline can be pasted into another project's timeline. This will also create instances of the clips in the bin.

Just copy to clipboard, go to the project manager via the home button, open the other project (thus closing the last one) and past it into a timeline?
I didn't think this would be possible because the old project is closed at that point.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Today I had to copy and paste clips from one project to another in a different database. Dynamic switching is not working because when you switch to another database to open the second project, it forces you close the current one because it is changing databases. I gave it a try... And after opening the second project, the Paste command in the Edit menu was greyed out... so I lost hope... But I pressed CTRL+V in any case... and IT WORKS! Next time I won't lose hope :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve