Question about keyboard zoom in and zoom out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wjasonspencer

Question about keyboard zoom in and zoom out

PostFri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm

I've used Resolve for color grading in the past, but this is my first experience using it as an editor. I'm a long time Avid and PPro cutter.

I can map "+" and "-" keys to "zoom in" and "zoom out" but for some reason it doesn't work in the timeline within the Edit Panel. Strangely enough, I can map those same keys to "up arrow" and "down arrow" and they work as expected.

Is this a software bug, or typical behavior of Resolve? Thanks,

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

Re: Question about keyboard zoom in and zoom out

PostFri May 12, 2017 4:06 pm

One of the larger 'flaws' in the design of Resolve 12.5 (and I understand corrected in 14) is the lack of any kind of warning system when duplicate shortcuts are assigned. If the same shortcut is assigned to two different tasks, you will not know about it, the shortcut will just not work.

And without any way to search the shortcuts (also corrected in 14), you have to go through every single shortcut to try and find the duplicate and change it.

I ran into the same issue when I moved to Resolve. Why the default zoom shortcuts require a modifier is beyond me. This is one of those functions we do so frequently that it really needs to be a one key shortcut, with left hand on keyboard and right hand on mouse as the norm.

John Paines

PostFri May 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Last time I tried it, reassigning an existing shortcut replaced the original default assignment (often with untoward results) with the new user assignment, but in this case, + and - could be restricted -- they may not be available for shortcuts, since they're used in essential timeline operations, trimming and playhead navigation.

For the rest, Jim Simon is correct: in 14, you can search for both shortcuts and commands.

Dermot Shane

PostFri May 12, 2017 4:39 pm

in 12.5 and earlier you can save a kb prest, then open it in a text editor and find your mapping + also a number of hidden de-bug shortcuts, some of them i had assigned to macrorecorder as they are totaly undocumented anywhere - i deleted those in the text file

Jim Simon

PostFri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

John Paines wrote:reassigning an existing shortcut replaced the original default assignment

It did not do so for me. I had to locate the duplicate and reassign it manually.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 12, 2017 9:08 pm

John Paines wrote:in this case, + and - could be restricted -- they may not be available for shortcuts,

No, they work fine once you manually delete the duplicate/original assignment.

Alex Uzan

PostFri May 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:in this case, + and - could be restricted -- they may not be available for shortcuts,

No, they work fine once you manually delete the duplicate/original assignment.

I'm not sure you're right :)

+ and - (from numpad) can not be assigned to a shortcut without alt, ctrl, or Maj.
Because they are used for timecode displace.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Alex Uzan wrote:+ and - (from numpad)

Those I never use. The default in Premiere Pro are the + and - to the left of Backspace. (Technically the - and = keys, since no modifier is required.) Those same keys work fine in Resolve.

B_Mango

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Resolve is an amazing tool.

But if it wants to become a primary editing tool, being able to map the number keys and map a command to multiple shortcuts are fundamental requirements.

I realize I'm both begging and choosing. But I sincerely hope you would at least ask some editors how important this is to them.

I think this may be a bigger deal than you realize for people to switch.

Return to DaVinci Resolve