Black/blank screen in viewer creating major problems! Help!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kevin Stewart

Black/blank screen in viewer creating major problems! Help!

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 am

Hey everyone, I'm getting a really weird error that I have never encountered before. When I go into a project I was coloring everything works except for the viewer. It's completely black even when I switch shot to shot.

I'm able to click all around with no issues. The only thing being that the viewer is black. I can even grab a still of the black viewer and it will go into my stills bin correctly. I've tried everything so far including uninstalling/deleting CUDA drivers, uninstalling and re-installing Resolve etc. Nothing seems to save this particular project.

Now to be fair, this is a pretty heavy project: its three timelines of 6 minute edits in 4K with some decent amount of OFX plugins on the grades (cosmo, dehaze, filmconvert etc.) So I'm leaning towards this being a graphics problem with this particular project.

My Mac is OLLLLD. Mid 2011 iMac but it was running flawlessly up until midway through the third timeline with the same color corrections. It suddenly froze, I quit, restarted and it's been black ever since.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

(27-inch, Mid 2011)
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
1 TB SSD

PeterMoretti

Re: Black/blank screen in viewer creating major problems! He

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:58 am

What happens if you make a new really simple timeline in the project?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Kevin Stewart

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:24 am

It only gets worse - Ive managed to get something other than black now but its not good - I think this is a severe case of Resolve/ graphics card being overloaded. It's just never happenned to me. Is there any fixing it? I tried getting rid of the other two timelines and saving then restarting but that didnt fix it. Only getting rid of most of the actual media fixed it.

Here are some stills of what's going -

image upload

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:47 am

Kevin, you have an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB so CUDA is not relevant.
Its not a powerful card but can you try the DaVinci Resolve Preferences GPU selection to Auto, OpenCL and Metal to see if any of these assist?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Kevin Stewart

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 am

Wow!! Thank you Peter, the simplest thing always works. I've literally been trying to figure this out for 5 hours straight. I set it to Open CL and Manual and it works like a charm.

I tried changing it to OpenCL at one point in those 5 hours and it didnt work so maybe setting it to manual was better? Also, I never changed these settings in order for this to get triggered, any idea why Auto was giving me such problems?

In any case thank you!

Kevin Stewart

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:48 pm

BUMP

Just curious now, does anyone know why this glitch/problem would've happened mid project? I'm assuming the Auto function started to select the wrong type of Graphics option (metal, Open CL) or got confused but why? Would love to know what caused this if anybody out knows.

Update - also since fixing that one problem Resolve does work much better, but now I'm seeing it hang and crash when I click on powergrades. This never happened before.

Kevin Stewart

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Ok guys, I thought the problem was solved but alas it wasn't the problem has returned just as bad as ever.

A couple things to note:

As you can see below Resolve isnt't recognizing the correct graphics card for whatever reason. Is this normal?

Also when I go full screen the viewer has no issues which is really bizarre , but when I go back to normal mode it freezes and does all the weird graphics related glitches I was seeing before. Any ideas guys? This is driving me insane and I cant find a solution.

ebay picture hosting

Kevin Stewart

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Here is a video of what's going on. Hopefully you can see this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw8XKeZqfSkleXVpZWVKbVFHMVk/view?usp=sharing

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting desperate... Thank you in advance.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 am

My opinion is that a 6-year-old iMac is not going to be able to handle using OFX plug-ins, particularly several of them at the same time and with 4K material. I think that's kind of like using an old Honda Civic to drive 600 miles across the desert at 120 miles per hour: you most likely won't reach your final destination without the engine blowing up, because you're stressing it out a lot harder than it was ever designed for.

My advice would be to upgrade (or rent or borrow) a much more powerful computer with very fast i/o and a couple of heavy-duty GPUs, and preferably 64GB of RAM.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 am

You have 1GB of GPU memory, you can see this in the screen shot you listed, enough for HD and no OFX.
If you have 4K with no effects you might barely scrap through.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Kevin Stewart

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey guys thanks for the replys, seems like it is indeed a lack of graphics card power/ram etc.

Peter, any idea why Resolve seems my graphics card as 1 GB ATI Radeon instead of what my mac says it has - an AMD Radeon 2 GB. Not that it would help with my project anyways but just curious.

Cheers,

Kevin

Return to DaVinci Resolve