VFX heavy projects in Resolve (Resolve 14 B4 win10)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Margus Voll

VFX heavy projects in Resolve (Resolve 14 B4 win10)

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am

Hi.

I wonder if anyone has lately some experience on subject?

I did (win10 Resolve 14 Beta 4) one job now where 90% is VFX in one way or another and now i did all the versioning manually.
Sure we could set up fusion connect to all of this but we have not done this yet. Probably will test with next job. It has been nightmare with feature films before also for me and will be for the next one with all the manual conform work over versioning VFX.

As all VFX come from post house using mainly Nuke (AE at times) then it would be reasonable to have a go on Generations but as there is not much information about it at the moment floating it got me wondering if it would help me at all? Also it is not part of Resolve and is only available to Fusion users at the moment it seems.

Any ideas or experiences would be helpful.

Ideally i would like at tool that would plug in to Nuke somehow or Fusion in that matter
but non of this seems to exist now or possibly i'm missing it somehow.

So after some testing we have results where Fusion connect populates Nuke composites to my machine
without any special interaction which is half the thing that we wanted to do and it is possible in a way now with some manual help.

It mean that on nuke side some manual scripting and hand holding is needed to do all that
as you know those fusion connect folders do not have any reasonable namings now and
for human users are unreadable. Also as Resolve XML export do not have any info on them it also does not help much.

There are punch of issues in Resolve side also tho the workaround seems to work:

o Resolve XML export does not have much info on fusion connect clip which is bad

o had to make Fusion connect video track with exported EXR files under on over it so that Nuke studio or any other apps would make sense with edit or it would not work (direction to current selected EXR version in XML would help the best as first version could be base plate for VFX which is pushed to VFX house. We do push here automatically with Resilio sync)

o Resolve burn in only reflects top layer data and is not very easy to applied to all clips just have to put it in manually if clip based one by one. Would like to select all and then add as clip based.

o no frame numbering and no offset in burn in or frame numbers

o data burn in does not display any info on fusion connect clips at all, just blank. Even just fusion shot name would help

o no timecode on fusion connect EXR files from either timeline or original material

o EXR export with Fusion connect does not seems to have information on colorescience (we are pushing ACES but do not get info in files if it is ACEScc or ACEScct. Ideally for VFX it should be aces2065-AP0)

Not sure what BM road map is on Resolve and Fusion side and third party VFX stuff.
I see that it is really the weak point now on Resolve Studio as audio is somewhat addressed but not VFX side that much.

Around here we seem to have tons and tons of more feature and commercial work coming in with VFX heavy content and workflow needs to be better and more fluid.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Margus Voll

Re: VFX heavy projects in Resolve (Resolve 14 B4 win10)

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 am

So we discovered another issue:

When you render out ACES material to fusion comp you can not set ACES input transform on color page like usually and you do not have that also possible in media pool as Fusion connect do not show it's contents.

Workaround now seems to be rendering it out on Nuke side in 2065 in AP0.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Return to DaVinci Resolve