Drive issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexandre Garacotche

Drive issues

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Hello,

I have upgraded my machine and I have a problem with the main drive I am working with. It is a Laci 5big Thunderbolt 2 with which I used to work on my previous machine without problem.

Playback (on resolve 14.5) was so slow I decided to use BM Disc Speed Test and here is the results :
http://idoia.com/thunderbolt-bench.png

As you can see the disc seems fine, I could theoretically use it with resolve without problem but no. Playback for one single 1080HD clip drops frames. What could be the cause ?

Before you ask I exported the whole edit (3 clips) onto another disc of mine (a sdd). Playback from there is very fluid. So the problem is related to the Thunderbolt disc.
But with that benchmark I don't understand and really I don't know what else I could do. Any suggestion ?

I guess my question is : "what could cause a problem of frames being dropped during playback (and even moving clip on the timeline causes slowdown) if we know for sure the disk is fast enough (or maybe we can't rely on BlackMagic Disc Speed Test ?) ?

Alexandre

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Drive issues

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 am

How full, and fragmented, is the storage?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Alexandre Garacotche

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 2:10 pm

The disk is 3To full out of 8To Raid 5 system.
I am on mac, I don't have any utilities to tell me about fragmentation but the drive is quite recent so I don't believe it is that much fragmented, I will check that out tho.

I have done several test, really.
I tried to do another edit with some other clips from the same shooting but from a different batch and I had no problem. So I started suspected my clips where somehow corrupted. But as playing them from a different drive did not create playback problems, it kind of confused me.

What would be good would be to monitor the process of Resolve, maybe I could find out what is making it so slow at time.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Which specific OS? Which specific hardware? What GPUs? What file format are you trying to play back? Which timeline format?

Knowing these answers may provide some clues.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve