Batch stabilization: is it possible?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ronandc

Re: Batch stabilization: is it possible?

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
dev_willis wrote:Respectfully, I feel like "get an assistant" and "you don't need that feature anyway" aren't great answers.

That's not what I said. What I said is that you can't get around doing the hard work, and often stabilization requires different settings on every single clip. There's no way to do that automatically with any software on earth -- it just requires time and effort. What you ask for can't work that way.

One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.

Listen: you're not even understanding what most of us are even talking about here. Nobody is cutting corners on the "hard work".

When you're ready, here's what actually being talked about:

Step 1 (SLOW AND SLOPPY): Every time you INITIALLY go to stabilise a clip, when you click stabilise (regardless of what sub-parameters you put in within one of the 3 stabilisation flavours), Resolve takes a WHILE to do it's INITIAL analysis on the clip. At this point, no intelligent input (the "hard work" you espouse) is actually needed yet from the user, and they're just sitting there waiting until they can click more buttons to actually refine the result of the initial "blind" stabilisation they are waiting on. It's all dumb button pushing and waiting for GPU process up to this point. An utter waste of the valuable time of a 'hard work'-er

Step 2 (INTELLIGENT INPUT FROM A HUMAN & MUCH QUICKER): Once the VERY SLOW AND NOT-YET-DIALLED-IN-BY-USER inital stabilisation analysis has been executed, most of us then check out the result of the inital blind effort Resolve made, tweak a low level parameter or two, and re-stabilise and THIS PART ONLY TAKES MILLISECONDS - so nobody is saying they have a problem with manually doing this part on individual clips.

What people are asking for is a way to get the blunt instrument Step 1 stuff out of the way in a batch process, and then have the completed (slow) stabilisation analysis at the ready to tweak and re-stabilise in the blink of an eye when they are actually present/attending to the NLE.

Horst Girtew

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Yes, I also need this batch option. And better than translation as default would be to set the own default in the user settings.
For next Christmas, I wish for peace all over the world, but if that is not possible, I wish for a remote-controlled fire truck.

Ahriman

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 pm

Horst Girtew wrote:Yes, I also need this batch option. And better than translation as default would be to set the own default in the user settings.

Yes, please do this! :)

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 3:37 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Marc, you are basically arguing the same logic that xml/edl import is very bad and doesn't work because it might get some cuts wrong. So better place all clips on timeline manually, because then you can check that they are right. So I guess you never use xml/edl imports?

No, you're using a false equivalency argument. I import EDLs and XMLs all the time for color sessions (and have for 25 years), and they're a very important and necessary part of workflow. You still have to check them meticulously. Generally what happens with me is I deal with sloppy editors who don't clean their lists, and I wind up with dozens of unnecessary cuts for "through" edits. So I wind up having to join a lot of clips manually, and there's no automatic way around it. If it happens too often, and it's not that long a project, I'll just scene-detect it. If it's a conform with camera source clips, that's a different situation.

I think the gist of the stabilization question is, "why can't this be easier?" And in general the answer is, "post is hard." I did a project the other day where I think I had to track 10 shots in a row, and I wound up using a different method on every single shot. Sometimes Classic worked better; sometimes I had to change the tracks with Interactive mode; sometimes I could use the regular (new) tracker in Translation mode; sometimes I could only track up to one point, then it went crazy, so I had to split the clip in half and track it in sections. Sometimes the shot was static and I could use Camera Lock. None of this could be done automatically: I had to look at each shot, use good judgement, and try different things.

Color is hard, editing is hard, VFX is hard, sound is hard. It gets easier when you get more experience and you figure out a few workarounds and shortcuts to make the day go faster. I look at it this way: it's a lot better than the 10+ years I used daVinci 2K, and we had to track 100% manually: every window and any kind of a position shift had to be done as manual keyframes and dynamics. No auto-tracking. From my point of view, the glass is half-full. You guys are complaining because you don't have ice and a straw! I'm glad to just get the glass and the water.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 7:40 am

Since when does feature request equal complaining? If one wants to do everything the hard way, don’t use the feature, simple as that. There are plenty of actual hard problems, doing “push a button and twiddle thumbs while it does its stuff” prep operation that can be automated isn’t one of them. Or to put it another way, vfx side which uses orders of magnitude more meticulous, error prone and mind numbing tracking grabs every stick there is to automate the hell out of it, because life is hard enough without waiting on a rolling ball.

EDL/XML import is the exact analogy, it does the dumb stuff for you so can concentrate on actual problems.

Marc, I really enjoy the pieces about how something was done in the past, and read them with great interest, but if everyone kept doing as it was done in the past, you would still do all masks and tracks 100% manually. Maybe you would enjoy it ;)
I do stuff.

jamesalton.visuals

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:33 pm

I find it puzzling that I can not batch stabilize my clips on the timeline.

Each clip has to have the button 'stabilize' clicked manually and there is no way to sync the settings using attributes.

Of course each clip will be checked over for correctness, but why would a feature be denied for 'purity' laws? It's much easier for me to click 'Batch Stabilize All' and go to sleep, then check and adjust settings in the morning than to click and sit through 60-90 clips manually, one by one. It's a huge waste of time.

+1 for batch stabilize in Davinci Resolve 17.2 or 18.0

Philipp Glaninger

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 pm

Horst Girtew wrote:Yes, I also need this batch option. And better than translation as default would be to set the own default in the user settings.

+1
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

grafsimeon

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:15 am

Oh yes!

And since we’re talking about batch effects, would be lovely to add this to other items and effects as well.

+1
----
PCC4K
Speed Editor Keyboard
Resolve Studio
----
MacBookPro16 2022
M1 Max
RAM 32GB
----
Windows 10 Pro
i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz x64
RAM 32GB
DeckLink Extreme 3D
GeForce GTX1060 6GB

sjonkeesse

Simple python script for stabilizing all clips on the timeli

PostSun May 16, 2021 4:06 pm

I created a simple python script which automates the stabilization process of all the clips on the timeline.
It is not using any DaVinci Resolve scripting so it should be working with all the versions.

You can find a demo here:

You can get the python script here:
https://gist.github.com/sjonkeesse/1344 ... 5d8d528fe3

Code: Select all
import time
import GPUtil
import psutil
import pyautogui

# Check https://youtu.be/OGKQ6krf5O0 for a demo

# Required software
# Python 3      (https://www.python.org/downloads/) (with installation: check add to PATH)
# psutil        (pip install psutil)
# gputil        (pip install gputil)
# pyautogui     (pip install pyautogui)

# Instructions
# 1. Open DaVinci Resolve and open the Color tab
# 2. In the tracker panel, open the Stabilizer
# 3. Make sure you can select the next clip on the timeline with the arrow down button
# 4. Select the first clip for stabilization
# 5. Open Windows Taskmanager (ctrl + alt + del)
# 6. Open Performance tab
# 7. In DaVinci Resolve click on 'Stabilize' and monitor GPU and CPU usage (in percentage)
# 8. Define a threshold of the GPU / CPU usage for when the Stabilization is in progress / idle
# 9. Run this script in the command prompt, preferably next to the DaVinci Resolve window
# 10. Define the Cropping ratio, Smooth and Strength values you want to change. Leave blank for no change.
# 11. When asked, hold your mouse above the input field(s) and Stabilize button.
# 12. Enter the thresold for the GPU and CPU you think is appropriate
# 13. Let it do it's thing. You should monitor the first few tries.

print("Make sure DaVinci Resolve Color tab is active with tracker Stabilizer.")

clipCount = input("Amount of clips to stabilize: ")
croppingRatio = input("Cropping ratio (enter for no change): ")
smooth = input("Smooth (enter for no change): ")
strength = input("Strength (enter for no change): ")
gpuIdleThreshold = int(input("GPU idle threshold in percentage: ") or "3") # in percent
cpuIdleThreshold = int(input("CPU idle threshold in percentage: ") or "3") # in percent

# Set default values or leave it to 0 for configuration on each start
posXCroppingRatio = 0
posYCroppingRatio = 0
posXSmooth = 0
posYSmooth = 0
posXStrength = 0
posYStrength = 0
posXStabilize = 0
posYStabilize = 0

# Get position of Cropping Ratio field
if "" != croppingRatio and 0 == posXCroppingRatio and 0 == posYCroppingRatio:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Cropping Ratio' field")
    for x in range(5, 0, -1):
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold above 'Cropping Ratio' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXCroppingRatio, " Y:", posYCroppingRatio)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Smooth field
if "" != smooth and 0 == posXSmooth and 0 == posYSmooth:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Smooth' field")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Smooth' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXSmooth, posYSmooth = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXSmooth, " Y:", posYSmooth)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Strength field
if "" != strength and 0 == posXStrength and 0 == posYStrength:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Strength' field")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Strength' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXStrength, posYStrength = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXStrength, " Y:", posYStrength)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Stabilize button
if 0 == posXStabilize and 0 == posYStabilize:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Stabilize' button")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Stabilize' button) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXStabilize, posYStabilize = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXStabilize, " Y:", posYStabilize)
    time.sleep(1);

print("Dont move or resize DaVinci Resolve!")

for x in range(int(clipCount)):
    print("Starting stabilization for clip", x)

# Entering Cropping ratio value
    if "" != croppingRatio:
        print("Setting cropping ratio to", croppingRatio)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(["backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace"])
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(croppingRatio)
        pyautogui.typewrite(["enter"])
        time.sleep(1)

# Entering Smooth value
    if "" != smooth:
        print("Setting smooth to", smooth)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXSmooth, posYSmooth, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXSmooth, posYSmooth, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(["backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace", "backspace"])
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(smooth)
        time.sleep(1)

# Entering Strength value
    if "" != strength:
        print("Setting strength to", strength)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXStrength, posYStrength, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXStrength, posYStrength, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(strength)
        time.sleep(1)

# Start stabilization
    print("Starting stabilization")
    pyautogui.moveTo(posXStabilize, posYStabilize, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
    pyautogui.click(posXStabilize, posYStabilize)

time.sleep(5)

# Wait for stabilisation to finisch
    start = time.time()
    load = 1.00
    counter = 0
    stabilizationInProgress = True
    while stabilizationInProgress:
        GPUs = GPUtil.getGPUs()
        gpuLoad = GPUs[0].load * 100
        cpuLoad = psutil.cpu_percent(1)

if gpuIdleThreshold <= gpuLoad or cpuIdleThreshold <= cpuLoad:
            # GPU is working
            print("GPU load:", gpuLoad, "%", ", CPU load:", cpuLoad, "%")

# Reset counter
            counter = 0
        else:
            # GPU is idle
            print("Idle for", counter, "second(s)")

if 5 <= counter:
                stabilizationInProgress = False
            else:
                counter = counter + 1

end = time.time()
    duration = end - start + 5;
    print("It looks like DaVinci is ready with stabilizing. (it took ", duration,"seconds)")

time.sleep(5)

# Select next clip in timeline
    print("Selecting next clip on timeline")
    pyautogui.typewrite(["down"])

Philipp Glaninger

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:23 am

oh my that sounds exiting! I will give it a try on the weekend. Thank you!
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

jamesalton.visuals

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:19 pm

@sjonkeesse, whenever I made a suggestion to,
support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com
they ask for a coding sample in Lua show I can show them what I mean. I feel like Python3 is a very easy scripting language to convert, plus you're not even using their API, which means they can simplify it on conversion.

If you sent it to them, they might be able to have the devs implement it because of your efforts!

Tomato Ketchup

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 am

I'm also interested by that feature.
Could be great to have a batch process window, and compute in background (i know maybe that one is illusional)

Thx BM!

Hard Is Easy

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 4:13 pm

+1 For this request.
On Premiere Pro you can drop Warp Stabilizer as an effect and it can run multiple stabilizers parallel in the background - huge time saver

cobra427

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 pm

+1 for this request.

In Edius Pro, you can select (all) clips and apply the effect 'stabilize' (internal Edius effect and pretty good) or apply the plugin Mercalli Stabilizer. Both analyze each clip individualy and change some setings for the best result per clip. Great timesaver.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Well, Mercalli standalone can batch stabilise too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

yourmommahasfleas

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 9:08 am

It blows my mind that people are creating scripts to do this automation, but the creators aren’t integrating it into the program (unless there's news i don't know about re future updates).

Please, this is a much used feature in the other NLEs
DVR (Studio) updated regularly -> Latest version
iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB + Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB
2TB SSD Samsung X5 HD for Cache/Project files

cobra427

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 am

I normally use Mercalli and it sits outside Resolve, but would like to do this inside Resolve. It makes my workflow longer than needed. Now about 80% of my clips are ok after stabilization (with Mercalli outside Resolve). The rest needs other settings (still working in Mercalli).

Still batch stabilization is a great timersaver. Batch stabilization takes secondes or minutes. No batch stabilization can/will take hours. During batch stabilization I could go for a coffee or beer (or it is done in the background) No batch stabilization means active work :x
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Richardvi

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 10:04 am

Yes! +1 for batch stabilization! Saves me so many mouse clicks.

AndySeeon

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:11 pm

+1 for batch stabilization!
I join this urgent request!

Greeting, Andreas
- DR Studio 18.6
- Win10 Pro 64 - AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X - 128GB RAM
- NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB, latest "Studio" driver
- Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
- C: Drive 500 GB SSD M.2
- Project/Cache Drive 2 TB SSD M.2

yourmommahasfleas

PostWed Jul 20, 2022 1:01 pm

ronandc wrote:What people are asking for is a way to get the blunt instrument Step 1 stuff out of the way in a batch process, and then have the completed (slow) stabilisation analysis at the ready to tweak and re-stabilise in the blink of an eye when they are actually present/attending to the NLE.

Exactly this.
No news of 18 introducing this feature huh? Dang and tarnation.
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM

yourmommahasfleas

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 12:11 pm

If anyone else is reading this thinking 'i found this thread googling how i can batch stabilise' and is now thinking 'wow, really not possible?? It is in FCP/Premiere/AE/etc' , then please put your +1 to this thread.
Long threads hilighting popular feature requests are more likely to be addressed by the company.

I am still wasting so much of my time doing this procedure. It's my number 1 problem with Resolve, despite me loving the program's many fantastic features.

Today's case: 24 Clips all to be stabilised (a low number for me, often it's 100+), and i want them all done in Translation mode, same settings. From experience i know that a few of these will need to be tweaked in settings and re-stabilised as Similarity mode, whilst the others will be done.

But i'm sitting here stabilising one clip at a time. It makes no sense that i can't queue and automate this!

I have to select one clip at a time on the Edit page, start the stabilise, then press Command-H and try to find things to do with my time for 60 seconds (or however long depending on the clip), then switch back to DVR and select the next clip, and repeat.

Instead of letting the program run while i'm asleep, or otherwise making constructive use of my time, I'm stuck in micro management of a 'blunt instrument' step as described by RonanDC.
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:12 pm

Me thinks that's apples to oranges.
DR has a very nice feature to see if an XML or EDL came across correctly, the reference clip. Heck, you can even work with the subtract feature and spot problems at first glimpse.
With stabilisation (just like with re-timing) you need to check very carefully clip by clip.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

studio1492

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:13 pm

+1 to batch stabilization
+1 to user custom stabilization settings (i.e I never use zoom on stabilizaton)
+1 stabilization in background (like Premiere Pro)

DVR nowadays should render processes in background (create optimized media, stabilization, renders) , while the editor continues editing. hardware is not an excuse anymore, each editor's time is gold.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:16 pm

I'm afraid there are no short-term plans to change that or else BM would not have made the Proxy Generator.
I'd suggest using Mercalli, which does batch.

studio1492

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 6:31 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'm afraid there are no short-term plans to change that or else BM would not have made the Proxy Generator.
I'd suggest using Mercalli, which does batch.

Which is great news, use Proxy Generator to run other background process, like Render, stabilization, or generating thumbnails on Media page.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Robert Niessner

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 9:21 pm

yourmommahasfleas wrote:I am still wasting so much of my time doing this procedure. It's my number 1 problem with Resolve, despite me loving the program's many fantastic features.

Today's case: 24 Clips all to be stabilised (a low number for me, often it's 100+), and i want them all done in Translation mode, same settings. From experience i know that a few of these will need to be tweaked in settings and re-stabilised as Similarity mode, whilst the others will be done.

But i'm sitting here stabilising one clip at a time. It makes no sense that i can't queue and automate this!

I have to select one clip at a time on the Edit page, start the stabilise, then press Command-H and try to find things to do with my time for 60 seconds (or however long depending on the clip), then switch back to DVR and select the next clip, and repeat.

100% yes to everything you said. After each shooting I have around 50 or more shots which need a little bit of stabilizing. And there - I am sitting and clicking, waiting, clicking, waiting - one by one.
Computers should make our life easier by taking away repetitive work, not make it more complicated.
It would even help to have the process done in the background so meanwhile I could do other stuff in Resolve.

Please Resolve team, have mercy!
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

PedjaS

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 pm

Is there progress on this issue? Having option to select several clips and apply stabilization to all of them at once would really save lot of time.

Maybe it is not an issue for high end professional editors, but for simple family video that would be huge.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:29 pm

PedjaS wrote:Is there progress on this issue? Having option to select several clips and apply stabilization to all of them at once would really save lot of time.

Maybe it is not an issue for high end professional editors, but for simple family video that would be huge.

I guess you are asking BMD to comment on the progress? They won't but they will suggest that this be added to the features request forum for consideration in some future development (which I believe a reqeust has). You can to to that forum and add your +1 there, if you'd like.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

yourmommahasfleas

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am

Feature requests forum link:
viewforum.php?f=33

and in that forum, the thread i could see on batch stabilization, where you can add your +1:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=164580
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM

mereo.mereo

Re: Simple python script for stabilizing all clips on the ti

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 12:11 am

If it needs to have a default setting for stabilization, for example similarity, select a clip, set similarity, right-click, select copy, select all clips, right-click, paste attributes and select only color correction, apply .. :)

grafsimeon

PostSun Dec 25, 2022 2:11 pm

mereo.mereo wrote:If it needs to have a default setting for stabilization, for example similarity, select a clip, set similarity, right-click, select copy, select all clips, right-click, paste attributes and select only color correction, apply .. :)

nice! this at least lets you go faster and not clicking and selecting each time.

hopefully BMD will implement this feature soon!
+1
----
PCC4K
Speed Editor Keyboard
Resolve Studio
----
MacBookPro16 2022
M1 Max
RAM 32GB
----
Windows 10 Pro
i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz x64
RAM 32GB
DeckLink Extreme 3D
GeForce GTX1060 6GB

Norbert339

PostMon Feb 13, 2023 10:55 am

sjonkeesse wrote:I created a simple python script which automates the stabilization process of all the clips on the timeline.
It is not using any DaVinci Resolve scripting so it should be working with all the versions.

You can find a demo here:

You can get the python script here:
https://gist.github.com/sjonkeesse/1344 ... 5d8d528fe3

import time
import GPUtil
import psutil
import pyautogui

# Check https://youtu.be/OGKQ6krf5O0 for a demo

# Required software
# Python 3      (https://www.python.org/downloads/) (with installation: check add to PATH)
# psutil        (pip install psutil)
# gputil        (pip install gputil)
# pyautogui     (pip install pyautogui)

# Instructions
# 1. Open DaVinci Resolve and open the Color tab
# 2. In the tracker panel, open the Stabilizer
# 3. Make sure you can select the next clip on the timeline with the arrow down button
# 4. Select the first clip for stabilization
# 5. Open Windows Taskmanager (ctrl + alt + del)
# 6. Open Performance tab
# 7. In DaVinci Resolve click on 'Stabilize' and monitor GPU and CPU usage (in percentage)
# 8. Define a threshold of the GPU / CPU usage for when the Stabilization is in progress / idle
# 9. Run this script in the command prompt, preferably next to the DaVinci Resolve window
# 10. Define the Cropping ratio, Smooth and Strength values you want to change. Leave blank for no change.
# 11. When asked, hold your mouse above the input field(s) and Stabilize button.
# 12. Enter the thresold for the GPU and CPU you think is appropriate
# 13. Let it do it's thing. You should monitor the first few tries.

print("Make sure DaVinci Resolve Color tab is active with tracker Stabilizer.")

clipCount = input("Amount of clips to stabilize: ")
croppingRatio = input("Cropping ratio (enter for no change): ")
smooth = input("Smooth (enter for no change): ")
strength = input("Strength (enter for no change): ")
gpuIdleThreshold = int(input("GPU idle threshold in percentage: ") or "3") # in percent
cpuIdleThreshold = int(input("CPU idle threshold in percentage: ") or "3") # in percent

# Set default values or leave it to 0 for configuration on each start
posXCroppingRatio = 0
posYCroppingRatio = 0
posXSmooth = 0
posYSmooth = 0
posXStrength = 0
posYStrength = 0
posXStabilize = 0
posYStabilize = 0

# Get position of Cropping Ratio field
if "" != croppingRatio and 0 == posXCroppingRatio and 0 == posYCroppingRatio:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Cropping Ratio' field")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold above 'Cropping Ratio' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXCroppingRatio, " Y:", posYCroppingRatio)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Smooth field
if "" != smooth and 0 == posXSmooth and 0 == posYSmooth:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Smooth' field")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Smooth' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXSmooth, posYSmooth = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXSmooth, " Y:", posYSmooth)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Strength field
if "" != strength and 0 == posXStrength and 0 == posYStrength:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Strength' field")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Strength' field) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXStrength, posYStrength = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXStrength, " Y:", posYStrength)
    time.sleep(1);

# Get position of Stabilize button
if 0 == posXStabilize and 0 == posYStabilize:
    print("Hold cursor above 'Stabilize' button")
        print("Capturing mouse position (hold cursor above 'Stabilize' button) in", x)
        time.sleep(1);

posXStabilize, posYStabilize = pyautogui.position()
    print("Position captured! X:", posXStabilize, " Y:", posYStabilize)
    time.sleep(1);

print("Dont move or resize DaVinci Resolve!")

for x in range(int(clipCount)):
    print("Starting stabilization for clip", x)

# Entering Cropping ratio value
    if "" != croppingRatio:
        print("Setting cropping ratio to", croppingRatio)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXCroppingRatio, posYCroppingRatio, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(croppingRatio)
        time.sleep(1)

# Entering Smooth value
    if "" != smooth:
        print("Setting smooth to", smooth)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXSmooth, posYSmooth, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXSmooth, posYSmooth, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(smooth)
        time.sleep(1)

# Entering Strength value
    if "" != strength:
        print("Setting strength to", strength)
        pyautogui.moveTo(posXStrength, posYStrength, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
        pyautogui.click(posXStrength, posYStrength, clicks = 2)
        time.sleep(1)
        time.sleep(1)
        pyautogui.typewrite(strength)
        time.sleep(1)

# Start stabilization
    print("Starting stabilization")
    pyautogui.moveTo(posXStabilize, posYStabilize, duration = 1) # Not necessary, but nice to see what's going on
    pyautogui.click(posXStabilize, posYStabilize)

time.sleep(5)

# Wait for stabilisation to finisch
    start = time.time()
    load = 1.00
    counter = 0
    stabilizationInProgress = True
    while stabilizationInProgress:
        GPUs = GPUtil.getGPUs()
        gpuLoad = GPUs[0].load * 100
        cpuLoad = psutil.cpu_percent(1)

if gpuIdleThreshold <= gpuLoad or cpuIdleThreshold <= cpuLoad:
            # GPU is working
            print("GPU load:", gpuLoad, "%", ", CPU load:", cpuLoad, "%")

# Reset counter
            counter = 0
        else:
            # GPU is idle
            print("Idle for", counter, "second(s)")

if 5 <= counter:
                stabilizationInProgress = False
            else:
                counter = counter + 1

end = time.time()
    duration = end - start + 5;
    print("It looks like DaVinci is ready with stabilizing. (it took ", duration,"seconds)")

time.sleep(5)

# Select next clip in timeline
    print("Selecting next clip on timeline")
    pyautogui.typewrite(["down"])

I used this script and worked. Now import GPUtil sees 100% GPU load all the time. What could be the problem?

WildlifeVideo

PostMon Feb 13, 2023 3:08 pm

Mercalli PRO 6 seems the best option if for some reason you frequently need to stabilize a lot of videos. It can save some extremely shaky videos and you can batch process. For a couple of files the options in resolve are fine, but if you have 30 or 40 clips and something went wrong, Mercalli is the right tool and you can que them all and let it run over night if you have too or run it in the background as you continue to work.

Having the right tool is key to being efficient with your time. I see this all the time in the DAW world, something takes so much time to do it becomes a problem, time is money - get a tool for a specific problem if it is reoccurring. Yes, Mercalli cost about the same as Studio, but it does one thing very well and if you need it get it.

Things are very different for hobbyist and professionals. When I found that Resolve Studio was a better fit for me than Vegas, I switched after 10 years of using Vegas. Recently I switched from Samplitude (which is more mixer oriented) to Studio One due to it Midi functions. Time is your most valuable resource, spend it wisely.
Ryzen 9 5900x and a RX 6700XT 12 GB GPU with 64 gigs of 3600 ram, two 1 gig SSD, 6 TB internal, 15 gig external 7200 spinners.
Resolve Studio, Creative Cloud (PS/LR), Studio One v6, Mercalli SA v6 AI

Stan Willis

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm

I have received an offer from Magix to upgrade to Movie Studio 2023 Platinum for $49.99 Regularly $398.9 and the upgrade includes "proDAD Mercalli V6 Plug-Ins for MAGIX ($299 value)" . I'm not very interested in Movie Studio as I have Resolve Studio but it seems worth it just for the plugin. I'm posting this in case anyone else is interested or has any thoughts on this offer.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb
i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz
16.0GB DDR3 @ 534MHz
Mobo SUS P6T SE (LGA1366)
SAMSUNG TV
Sys 465 SSD Cache 240 ssd
465GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
931GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
media intHD +USB3 HD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Resolve 18.6.4 Build 6

Ashton Lamont

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Stan Willis wrote:I have received an offer from Magix to upgrade to Movie Studio 2023 Platinum for $49.99 Regularly $398.9 and the upgrade includes "proDAD Mercalli V6 Plug-Ins for MAGIX ($299 value)" . I'm not very interested in Movie Studio as I have Resolve Studio but it seems worth it just for the plugin. I'm posting this in case anyone else is interested or has any thoughts on this offer.

I'm pretty sure that version will only work in Movie Studio. May be OK if you can render to a suitable file to then bring that into Resolve. I have Mercalli V5 Standalone - I was a Vegas Pro user until recently. It is very comprehensive but is quite pricey; a straight purchase of Mercalli Standalone (which they call "SAL") is £290 including sales tax, an upgrade of V5 SAL to V6 SAL is £90 including UK sales tax. I bought it as V3 in 2013 and I never had to pay any more to go to V4 or V5 but V6 is "AI"

Stan Willis

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks Ashton Lamont for your reply. You are right of course but I was interested in using it within Movie Studio to batch stabilize clips before importing them to Resolve. I did attempt to purchase the deal today but the sale didn't go through for some reason.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb
i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz
16.0GB DDR3 @ 534MHz
Mobo SUS P6T SE (LGA1366)
SAMSUNG TV
Sys 465 SSD Cache 240 ssd
465GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
931GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
media intHD +USB3 HD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Resolve 18.6.4 Build 6

2017bqj

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 1:36 am

This idea +1!

I love DaVinci Resolve as a full feature, FREE, editor. However, often I just want to stabilize a clip. I would love to be able to run it from the command line with a few basic arguments and access the stabilization engine directly. Think FFMPEG, something like:
davinci_resolve -i IMG_2115.MP4 --stabilize new.mp4

That would be awesome! Thanks for considering it!

ZRGARDNE

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 12:34 am

2017bqj wrote:This idea +1!

I love DaVinci Resolve as a full feature, FREE, editor. However, often I just want to stabilize a clip. I would love to be able to run it from the command line with a few basic arguments and access the stabilization engine directly. Think FFMPEG, something like:

Batch Stabilization is now possible in Resolve in V18.5

A CLI stabilization would never be of interest to me. Stabilization is very much a 'Guess and Check' for what is the right settings, so you need a gui.

I believe the 'export individual clips' on the deliver tab bypasses the stabilization. So sadly, I don't know a good way to feed resolve a stack of 20 clips and have it easily give them back to you stabilized. Certainly no on wants to set in/out points on each individually.

Peter Cave

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 1:55 am

ZRGARDNE wrote:
2017bqj wrote:This idea +1!

Batch Stabilization is now possible in Resolve in V18.5

A CLI stabilization would never be of interest to me. Stabilization is very much a 'Guess and Check' for what is the right settings, so you need a gui.

I believe the 'export individual clips' on the deliver tab bypasses the stabilization. So sadly, I don't know a good way to feed resolve a stack of 20 clips and have it easily give them back to you stabilized. Certainly no on wants to set in/out points on each individually.

You are wrong. Stabilising is output in Individual Clips render mode. Best to check first before posting misleading info!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Roen Davis

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 3:50 am

I use stabilization a lot. I dont think batch would suit me at all - I tweak for best outcome on each and rarely use default.
I'd like a system like color memory to set up the stabilization parameters - that would speed up my day!
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 6:28 am

Roen Davis wrote:I use stabilization a lot. I dont think batch would suit me at all - I tweak for best outcome on each and rarely use default.

A very simple question: what do you tweak without running stabilization first to begin with? And if from a lot of experience you can tweak without first stabilization pass, then you can tweak them all and then run stabilization in batch.
I do stuff.

Sam Steti

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 7:27 am

Roen Davis wrote:I use stabilization a lot. I dont think batch would suit me at all - I tweak for best outcome on each and rarely use default.

Neither do I understand that... Just yesterday - reason why I post here & now - I used batch stabilization for a dozen of handheld cam shots following a guy in the street (FYI about a good reason to use it).
If you use it a lot, it also means you don't mind taking a little more time to find the best choice, right ? So what's the point of avoiding an option which may give you pretty good results, when you can revert any single clip to a specific manual treatment anyway ? Moreover if you use it "a lot"...

In other words, what's the downside of taking your chance ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

panos_mts

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 7:55 am

I wish there was a way to pre-calculate all three modes, so if I don't like the results of Prespective mode, can quickly switch to the other modes without re-stabilize.

A workaround I am using is to duplicate the clips on three tracks, set different stabilization mode on each track, stabilize it all, then choose the best.

Roen Davis

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 7:57 am

I do a lot of indie docos, they often have some wobbles - extreme wobbles. If I batched 10, I would be re-doing 8. My machine does the analysis pretty quickly but I don’t think batch would improve my life. I try to use perspective mostly - it gives great results but the jelly-warp is lurking always. I will lower strength, raise smooth and set crop to about 85. I can do 3 tries on perspective before trying the others … ? & translation (?). I find that putting in effort on stabilising can give great results. Transform the very rough into something watchable. Remedial post.

Roen Davis

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 7:58 am

I’m not opposed to it. I could think of quite a few things I’d rather see being developed.
When do we get AI conform?

Roen Davis

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 8:00 am

panos_mts wrote:A workaround I am using is to duplicate the clips on three tracks, set different stabilization mode on each track, stabilize it all, then choose the best.

That sounds like more effort than my approach.

Peter Cave

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 12:51 am

Roen Davis wrote:I’m not opposed to it. I could think of quite a few things I’d rather see being developed.

Hi Roen, batch stabilising is already an available feature on the Edit Page. It surprises me that people are still asking for it!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Roen Davis

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 12:57 am

Marc Wielage wrote:... you can't get around doing the hard work, and often stabilization requires different settings on every single clip. There's no way to do that automatically with any software on earth -- it just requires time and effort. What you ask for can't work that way.

+1

Sam Steti

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 9:07 am

Peter Cave wrote:
Roen Davis wrote:I’m not opposed to it. I could think of quite a few things I’d rather see being developed.

Hi Roen, batch stabilising is already an available feature on the Edit Page. It surprises me that people are still asking for it!

Look at my answer above : he knows it exists but doubts it can give him satisfaction ...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve