FX from RedGiant crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Suhaib Siddiqi

FX from RedGiant crashes

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 1:51 pm

b5 crashes when any FX from RedGiant is applied to a clip. This issue exists since DR 14b1. No issue with DR 12.5.x

Suhaib Siddiqi

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 beta 5 issues

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 am

I was using Red Giant Universe 2.0. Today I upgraded to RedGiant Universe 2.1. Now I cannot use any OFC plugins. When I started Resolve 14 b5, it crashes. Restarted it then it gave an error that OFX plugins had been disabled due to an error. Enable them through color panel. I tried enabling OFX plugin through color panel. Resolve will hang for ~10 minutes then crash. Regardless of the project, it will crash when trying to enable the OFX plugins after crash. I deleted C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\OFXPluginCache.xml. Still same problem, when trying to activate the OFX plugins, it will hand for ~10 minutes then crash.

I uninstall Davinci Resolve Studi14 b5 and reinstall it. Same problem, i.e. it will hang for 10 minutes then crash while trying to enable OFX plugins.

log file, drp and NFO to download
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvtxuas3tmwk ... Cepva?dl=0

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: FX from RedGiant crashes

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 am

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are looking at it, and it will be fixed in a future beta.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Ondrej Manda

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Hello,
I have the same problem with Davinci Resolve 14.0. (official release) and RedGiant Universe 2.1. . With RedGiant Universe 2.0. everything was OK. Please fix it, because I cannot downgrade to RGU 2.0 anymore. Thank you in advance!

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 am

Seems to be a PC thing.
I can apply Universe OFX just fine: Mac Sierra 10.12.6, DR 14, Universe 2.1
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 am

No, I have verified with Red Giant customer support that not all their plug-ins will work with Resolve 14 just yet. Title Generator in particular crashes big-time on my system. And this is also OSX 10.12.6, Red Giant 2.1. Boris FX, Hit Film Ignite, Sapphire, and Tiffen OFX plug-ins are all fine.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Ondrej Manda

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 am

Thank you for your replies. As I understand, I have to wait for some upgrade of RedGiant Universe 2.1. Incompatibility is on their side. Is that right?

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks, Marc,

I didn't ever open that, still doing my titles with Adobe. Did Red Giant give you a list of the unsupported ones?

Regards,

Uli
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Ondrej Manda

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 am

I uninstalled Davinci Resolve and deleted Davinci folder in Program Data folder. I unistalled RedGiant Universe. Then I installed Resolve 14.0. and tried to activate OFX plugins on color page. Davinci crashed after few minutes. Then I installed Hit Film Ignite free plugins (which should work according to Marc) and tried to activate on color page. Davinci crashed after few minutes.
It seems to me, that Davinci crashes every time I try to activate OFX plugins no matter if some plugins installed or not and no matter which plugins. Is it possible to make really clean uninstall of Davinci Resolve? I did backup my database of course.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Ondrej Manda wrote:Hello,
I have the same problem with Davinci Resolve 14.0. (official release) and RedGiant Universe 2.1. . With RedGiant Universe 2.0. everything was OK. Please fix it, because I cannot downgrade to RGU 2.0 anymore. Thank you in advance!

Assuming you are on Windows!!!

It could be OFXPluginCache.xml creation issue. I had this problem after Rohit fixed the issue. I did following to get up and running DR v14 b6

Check if you have C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\OFXPluginCache.xml file

Create a folder "Read Giant" on your Desktop

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\
and move all the sub-folders to "Red Giant folder on your desktop and restart Resolve then quit it.

Now one by one move each subfolder from your Desktop's "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\.

After moving one sub-folder from your Desptop "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\ start Resolve then quit it

It will be kind of boring process because you have to quit and restart Resolve after moving one sub-folder at a time from your Desktop "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\.

After you have moved all the sub-folder to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\, your Resolve v14 should start without a prolong hang or crash.

I believe there are way too many plugin subfolders in the RedGinat Universe which Resolve try to read to create OFXPluginCache.xml but runs out of memory resources which cause Resolve to crash.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:No, I have verified with Red Giant customer support that not all their plug-ins will work with Resolve 14 just yet. Title Generator in particular crashes big-time on my system. And this is also OSX 10.12.6, Red Giant 2.1. Boris FX, Hit Film Ignite, Sapphire, and Tiffen OFX plug-ins are all fine.

What is Title Generator? On Windows 10, I do not have "Tite Generator" in Red Giant Universe 2.1. I have "Title Motion", which works OK. However, when I add it to the footage, it took almost 30 seconds, looks like Resolve was hanged but after 30 sec, it was added to the time line and worked.

Ondrej Manda

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 am

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

It could be OFXPluginCache.xml creation issue. I had this problem after Rohit fixed the issue. I did following to get up and running DR v14 b6

Check if you have C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\OFXPluginCache.xml file

and move all the sub-folders to "Red Giant folder on your desktop and restart Resolve then quit it.

Now one by one move each subfolder from your Desktop's "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\.

After moving one sub-folder from your Desptop "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\ start Resolve then quit it

It will be kind of boring process because you have to quit and restart Resolve after moving one sub-folder at a time from your Desktop "Red Giant" to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\.

After you have moved all the sub-folder to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Read Giant Universe\, your Resolve v14 should start without a prolong hang or crash.

I believe there are way too many plugin subfolders in the RedGinat Universe which Resolve try to read to create OFXPluginCache.xml but runs out of memory resources which cause Resolve to crash.

Thank you for your tutorial Suhaib! It works! I copied folders in a group of 15 rather then one by one and it works! After running RedGiant Universe 2.1. plugins I installed HitFilm Ignite plugins and it worked immediately. Thank you all for your help!

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

Ondrej Manda wrote:
Thank you for your tutorial Suhaib! It works! I copied folders in a group of 15 rather then one by one and it works! After running RedGiant Universe 2.1. plugins I installed HitFilm Ignite plugins and it worked immediately. Thank you all for your help!

I am glad it solved your issue. consider making a backup copy of %ProgranData%\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\OFXPluginCache.xml. If you run into same issue again, copy the backup copy of OFXPluginCache.xml to %ProgranData%\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\OFXPluginCache.xml. Resolve will update it instead of creating a new one.

Torinux

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 am

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

I just registered to say thank you. This worked like a charm!

Return to DaVinci Resolve