B5 - clips in the timeline it is very slow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NielsV

B5 - clips in the timeline it is very slow

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am

Hi, coming from Premiere, and had earlier just used DR 12 for grading. DR 14 is very interesting and could absolutely be my main edit program in the future.
I have daily worked with DR 14 beta 3, 4 and 5, for the last months. Off course there a lot of small bugs, but there is one main thing that bothers me, and maybe it has been up here in the forum.
DR 14 are very responsive and very fast when working in the clip viewer and in the color space - everything works very good.

But when working with clips in the timeline it is very slow, and lacks for 3-4 seconds for every fine adjustment I make. I mostly work with clips from Sony FS7 and FS5. Timeline and recording format is HD. Even if timeline is rendered (blue line) it lacks and does not play smooth. Quite often the program crashes, when working in the timeline.

I ask because I am quite new into DR, and maybe there is a setting I have missed?
Or if it is a bug in the DR14 beta - I am a patient guy, waiting for it to be solved ;)

I am on a quite new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch), 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Thanks in advance for your help
Da Vinci Resolve 14 Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch), 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
MacOS Sieraa 10.12.6

Paul Draper

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 beta 5 issues

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 10:13 pm

NielsV wrote:Hi, coming from Premiere, and had earlier just used DR 12 for grading. DR 14 is very interesting and could absolutely be my main edit program in the future.
I have daily worked with DR 14 beta 3, 4 and 5, for the last months. Off course there a lot of small bugs, but there is one main thing that bothers me, and maybe it has been up here in the forum.
DR 14 are very responsive and very fast when working in the clip viewer and in the color space - everything works very good.

But when working with clips in the timeline it is very slow, and lacks for 3-4 seconds for every fine adjustment I make. I mostly work with clips from Sony FS7 and FS5. Timeline and recording format is HD. Even if timeline is rendered (blue line) it lacks and does not play smooth. Quite often the program crashes, when working in the timeline.

I ask because I am quite new into DR, and maybe there is a setting I have missed?
Or if it is a bug in the DR14 beta - I am a patient guy, waiting for it to be solved ;)

I am on a quite new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch), 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Thanks in advance for your help

This woks for me:
i) Transcode camera clips to am edit-friendly codec like DNxHD or ProRes, OR
ii) similarly, use 'Optimize media', AND
iii) enable Playback /Render Cache /Smart.

Here I'm assuming that the Sony cams you mention natively provide some sort of compressed codec. I use a Panasonic GH5. Resolve timeline is greatly improved in my experience in terms of playing the original camera files, but still has the lag before playing. Best to transcode and use cache for me.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

Return to DaVinci Resolve