Your GPU Memory is full.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chewiii

Re: Your GPU Memory is full.

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:03 pm

Mario Kalogjera wrote:Please search "GPU memory full"...the Forum is FULL of such posts.

Thanks for your answer and suggestion, I already did that and frankly got overwhelm.

Mario Kalogjera wrote:It would have also been nice if you mentioned what GPU and other components you have, what resolution is your footage and timelines, is it Resolve Free or Studio, do you have a dog and what's his name....stuff like that... ;)

I thought that all this info (except my dog's name, but as I don't have any it make sense that it doesn't appear anywhere :P) will be in the DR log and the System information files that I was suggesting to provide if somebody know how to shared heavy files.

Thank you
Dell, XPS 15 7590
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 MHz, 6 hearth(s), 12 processor(s) logic(s), x64-based PC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, GPU Memory: 12Go | Dedicated: 4Go | Shared: 8Go
Windows 10
DR 18.1

Steve Alexander

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Put the basics of your system in your signature so that others on the forum can have a quick glance at your setup.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

chewiii

PostFri Feb 18, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi everybody,

I already wrote in this thread but I'm coming back with more info that you can find here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I tried to open the project this morning and DR was not responding. There's almost nothing in this project so I don't understand what is the problem!

Edited on Sunday 20-02-22
So, some new things happens when I open DR:
initialize GPU.PNG
initialize GPU.PNG (12.35 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

And when I try to change the configuration in "Memory and GPU", the only Process mode available is OpenCL (before I was able to select CUDA, now it won't even appear) and I can't choose between my 2 GPU (Intel UHD graphic 630 and NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1650). The NVIDIA is the only selectable one.

Any help would be deeply appreciated as I was supposed to finish editing several days ago already :/

Thank you!
Last edited by chewiii on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dell, XPS 15 7590
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 MHz, 6 hearth(s), 12 processor(s) logic(s), x64-based PC
Windows 10
DR 18.1

Daz Wood

PostFri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm

chewiii wrote:Hi everybody,

I already wrote in this thread but I'm coming back with more info that you can find here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I tried to open the project this morning and DR was not responding. There's almost nothing in this project so I don't understand what is the problem!

Any help would be deeply appreciated as I was supposed to finish editing 2 days ago already :/

Thank you!
I just asked for access ;-)
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 7:15 pm

The issue is being caused by the 7972x7972 JPG file you are using with MediaIn2 on the Fusion comp.

It's requiring 10GB of VRAM and your GTX 1650 GPU only has 4GB of VRAM.

You can try using a Loader node instead of the MediaIn node, and that might help. But I'm guessing not enough. Lowering the resolution of the JPG is probably the simplest solution.

And since Resolve is likely hanging before you can make that change, you'll probably have to recreate the comp in a new project, starting with a smaller JPG.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 8:18 pm

Actually, just did a quick test with a local 7972x7972 JPG, and using a Loader node helps a LOT.

So I'd suggest rebuilding the comp in a new project, and use a Loader node in place of your MediaIn2 node.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

chewiii

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 10:35 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The issue is being caused by the 7972x7972 JPG file.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I didn't need it to be that big so I changed the resolution and now it seems to be working!

The only thing is that I had other fusion compositions in the project where that one was, but now each time I try to open this specific project, DR close. I added this specific project to my drive folder under project_wont_open.drp. It's not the end of the world but that's where I kept the originals for my templates, so it'll be useful to have access to it again :\

UPDATE: I right-clicked on the project and refreshed it (not sure what does this does) and I was able to open it long enough to go delete the fusion composition with the huge PNG before it closes again. Now I can open it as usual!

Thanks again for the help so far! :)
Dell, XPS 15 7590
Windows 10
DR 18.1

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 1:26 am

also, resolve only use the 4GB integrated to the GPU, it ignore the shared one.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

dariusii

PostMon May 16, 2022 7:27 pm

From this thread I understood that for davinci Resolve is better suited mac os. or buy a tractor with a mega-powerful graphics card and pray that the stars will align / have good karma.

I remember having an amd r9 280x graphics card. Under mac os with Davinci I knew no problem. I was worried that under mac os was just emulating opencl for my computer, but no - I put another video card - there is a difference in speed.
Under windows - your gpu memory is full/the gpu failed blah blah blah.
Went back to mac os.
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

waltervolpatto

PostWed May 18, 2022 9:36 pm

dariusii wrote:From this thread I understood that for davinci Resolve is better suited mac os. or buy a tractor with a mega-powerful graphics card and pray that the stars will align / have good karma.

I remember having an amd r9 280x graphics card. Under mac os with Davinci I knew no problem. I was worried that under mac os was just emulating opencl for my computer, but no - I put another video card - there is a difference in speed.
Under windows - your gpu memory is full/the gpu failed blah blah blah.
Went back to mac os.

kind of.

Get a decent computer with a modern card and you have no issue in HD, in 4k, get a slightly bigger card and you have no issues.

for literally 5 years I had a 1080ti card and I dont remember seeing the GPU full message once.
(Now I have a 3090ti....)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

dariusii

PostFri May 20, 2022 6:26 am

So everything works fine under mac os. Why "take" anything? :)

Uli Plank

PostFri May 20, 2022 6:57 am

Yes, it does. We have about 45 machines in student labs, about half Windows and half MacOS. DR is far more reliable on the Macs. This doesn't mean any technical superiority (those are still Intel anyway), or that BM loves Macs better (as some claim). The most frequent issue, as we can see in this forum, are GPU drivers for PC.

The simple fact that Apple controls both hardware and software and the limited number of models makes it so much easier for software developers to test thoroughly. OTOH, possible configurations of PCs probably reach the number of stars in our galactic neighbourhood. That's why I'd always suggest to turn to a system integrator focused on DR if you simply want a PC that works. And finally, don't allow M$ to mess with your system.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mario Kalogjera

PostFri May 20, 2022 7:50 am

Even on a PC with hardware that is non-Apple controlled (even with a non-Intel CPU), I didn't notice much issues with Resolve in MacOS....I'd conclude it's GPU drivers and only GPU drivers that make the difference.

Drivers on Windows, even the Studio ones when Nvidia is in question, also need to include tweaks for an abnormal number of specific software and games, it's very likely one new tweak breaks something else. And they can't test each and every tweak against each and every other tweak.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

dariusii

PostFri May 20, 2022 8:14 am

Originally, I bought this graphics card (amd r9 280x) for a regular pc computer. A long time ago. Had the problems under davinci resolve that are mentioned above. I was still running windows 8.0 at the time. Not even 8.1. Trying different drivers didn't work.
And accidentally I came across some advice from someone - install mac os. It helped me with the settings. And that was it.
The computer, designed to work with pc os, works better with mac os))) Shame on the amd driver developers!!! I would even say not better, but perfect. In many years I have not encountered any problems at all. You don't have to buy some video cards and make a tractor out of a computer. I edit my own videos and even raw photos I like to edit under Davinci Resolve better than under photoshop, or 3dlut creator. Although of course the size of photos suffers, since I do not have davinci resolve studio.
I'm not in a commercial business, so I have enough of this equipment.
And under windows I would not be able to work with Davinci Resolve. You either have to buy an "airplane" to use resolve or work in movavi. Very tough choice.
Last edited by dariusii on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

harinder_divine

PostSun May 29, 2022 10:40 am

SOLVED by moving all clips to internal HDD

jeasolar

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 7:05 pm

I'm having this problem when I change Object Mask to Better in Studio Beta 4. My hardware is i9-9900K/64GB RAM/RTX 2080 Super with 8GB and the latest driver. My timeline is 1080p, I'm using Proxy media, the clips are on a 2TB SSD. The worst of it is that the program hangs up when this happens. I have to start Task Manager to End Task the Davinci processes which have somehow wound up running in the Background. I wish I could at least just recover from the error and go back to Fast.

dariusii

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:43 am

By the way, it would be nice to know what test utility can check the combination of video card + driver. Furmark is more for games. GeekBench - there are more "parrots" than any tests.
To be able to isolate the problem.
This is how we know if the problem is in the video card/driver/settings, or in the program itself.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 pm

jeasolar wrote:I'm having this problem when I change Object Mask to Better in Studio Beta 4. My hardware is i9-9900K/64GB RAM/RTX 2080 Super with 8GB and the latest driver. My timeline is 1080p, I'm using Proxy media, the clips are on a 2TB SSD. The worst of it is that the program hangs up when this happens. I have to start Task Manager to End Task the Davinci processes which have somehow wound up running in the Background. I wish I could at least just recover from the error and go back to Fast.

With the Object mask, you simply most master patience: once you start the “tracking”, just sip a couple of coffees, the tensor cores took a nosedive and it will eventually come back.

(It does the same on my machine at work and I have 4x2080ti)

John Waldmann

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 8:47 pm

It would be useful if the code for Resolve, better garbage collected GPU ram -even on a Mac. It’s the only software I own which will fill GPU ram to just 400MB of free space, on opening of a small project. It then try’s to manage colour nodes and effects inside that remaining 400MB. (Single monitor!)

My workaround is simply to strategically deny Resolve access to as much of that GPU memory as possible. Then, relinquish it to Resolve as I work by progressively closing all the other windowed processes I purposely maintain in the background.

Then routinely, tactically close Resolve when I run out of other windowed processes to close, after I have spotted Resolve Auto-save. Then wait 3 minutes before launching all my other apps again, then Resolve.
It seems Resolve better manages GPU memory if it is only allocated 2-3GB at open.

(R17.2 -R18.0.3. 2017 imac G5 32GB ram, 4GB Radeon Pro 575, 1080P30 ProRes timelines). Yes this is a suboptimal configuration but if Resolve works better, more reliably, with fewer hangs when less GPU memory is made available to it. The Problem Is Resolve, or it’s interaction with the OPerating System not the hardware. This is especially obvious to me, as I used to manage 1080P timelines on my 2006 CheeseGrater MacPro with 512MB & 1GB graphics using FCP7 (Colour).

Note. Refining colour grades by simplifying node trees, and more confidently making precise changes rather than hunting around the correction also seems to help.

It’s almost as though resolve is trying to empirically stack every adjustment on top of every prior adjustment. And fails to clear (garbage collect) GPU ram when nodes are reset.

Manually clearing render caches (colour & fusion) appears to have about as much useful effect as hoping my coffee cup has magically refilled itself.

The m1 MacBook Pro 16GB has a different set of graphics weirdness (glitching viewers), and so at present is being used solely to edit timelines when I am enjoying some sun on the back porch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dariusii

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 4:59 am

So still)
How can I check my video card/computer to make sure I have the problem (video card, drivers, etc.) and not Davinci Resolve? Do any of the program developers know the answer to this question?

There are a lot of such programs. Furmark, s&m and other "GeekBench"'s. But it is useless to test with them, because with them the computer will pass the tests normally.

This is the most important question. That way I can localize the problem. Well, at least partially.

"The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error.", "memory GPU is Full" - it seems as if it is a problem of one field. Because under windows there is a problem with both memory and gpu in Davinci resolve, and under mac os there are no problems at all.

Finally, you either have to give up on windows, or there is a solution with drivers, reflashing the bios of the video card. But the sense of beating your head against the wall if you have nothing to test the system, except to test all this stuff under Davinci itself.

Jack Fairley

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 5:24 am

Send your project and have someone else try it and check their VRAM usage, I guess.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

dariusii

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 5:32 am

Jack Fairley wrote:Send your project and have someone else try it and check their VRAM usage, I guess.

And, if the person does not face the problem, to buy one in the same computer as he has? I don't quite understand the point of the advice. Can you specify it?

John Waldmann

Your GPU Memory is full.

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 8:18 am

Another occasionally useful approach for intel Mac’s having issues, is to reset the Pram.
This significantly reduced the VRAM that Resolve uses on my 2017 iMac. Also Resolve now releases Vram more reliably, so the 4GB of vram my mac’s graphic card is much better managed, so fewer issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm

Dmitry, which is the spec of your machine and what are you trying to do with it?

Alex Silva

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 4:27 pm

dariusii wrote:By the way, it would be nice to know what test utility can check the combination of video card + driver. Furmark is more for games. GeekBench - there are more "parrots" than any tests.
To be able to isolate the problem.
This is how we know if the problem is in the video card/driver/settings, or in the program itself.

You have Puget Da Vinci Resolve banchmark, read comments too.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... olve-1523/

Jack Fairley

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 5:11 pm

dariusii wrote:
Jack Fairley wrote:Send your project and have someone else try it and check their VRAM usage, I guess.

And, if the person does not face the problem, to buy one in the same computer as he has? I don't quite understand the point of the advice. Can you specify it?

Yes, it's possible that you're simply trying to do operations that you do not have enough VRAM to do.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

dariusii

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Dmitry, which is the spec of your machine and what are you trying to do with it?

Very modest. hd7970 video card on an old i7 processor.
Assimilate scratch rustles beautifully. It's fast. It's under windows.
I used to run mac os on this computer and Davinci Resolve worked without any glitches and I had no discomfort, especially since I was not using the software for commercial purposes, which is my hobby. But it is illegal to run mac os on a pc - so I uninstalled the mac os. And under windows Davinci Resolve glitches terribly. Ch any drivers under msi r9 280x (hd7970).
So I am slowly getting used to assimilate scratch program. It's very fast and I like it.
Last edited by dariusii on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dariusii

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Alex Silva wrote:You have Puget Da Vinci Resolve banchmark, read comments too./

If I'm not mistaken, it uses the Davinci Resolve engine :D . Am I wrong?

Jack Fairley wrote:Yes, it's possible that you're simply trying to do operations that you do not have enough VRAM to do.

So under mac os "vram" on this configuration is enough (in parallel you could even run parallels desktop with a quota for video card resources), but under windows not enough? Very interesting. The hardware is the same.

I'd better shut my mouth so as not to annoy anyone. It is not nice of me to talk so much.

Jack Fairley

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:04 pm

The card is the same, but that's it. My guess is that there's something going wrong with GPU memory management with the Resolve/NVidia/Windows combination, since this does come up often, but I don't have any insight into that.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

dariusii

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:The card is the same, but that's it. My guess is that there's something going wrong with GPU memory management with the Resolve/NVidia/Windows combination, since this does come up often, but I don't have any insight into that.

It's an amd video card, but not the point.
The problem is drawn with different major versions of Resolve and absolutely all the drivers of this video card. It's simple here. The card is old and no one in Blackmagick will adjust for the kernel modules of this device.
Well, it's not a problem, as I wrote above.

Alex Silva

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:47 pm

dariusii wrote:
Alex Silva wrote:You have Puget Da Vinci Resolve banchmark, read comments too./

If I'm not mistaken, it uses the Davinci Resolve engine :D . Am I wrong?

Yes. i mean it might show when it fails and when not. But i see you are moving on.

Your card is from 2011, that is medieval time in these things, a good card for that time, but not anymore.
I have read that Resolve uses only the GPU to show the timeline so you are missing a lot of improvements.
Now that Nvidia 4xxx will be presented tomorrow you can expect to prices drop even more in 3xxx.
Maybe time to get a new system?

VMFXBV

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 am

If you want to experiment with your 7970 you could try NimeZ modded drivers. Could bring latest driver improvements to that old card.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 4:04 am

Alex Silva wrote: so you are missing a lot of improvements.

Under mac os, I used the eighteenth version of Davinci without problems. I haven't noticed any lags. Except that I did not process 4k video.
But I haven't seen any improvements in the color tools either.
linear gamma for node? - This point was also in previous versions.
hdr tools? - The only thing here is that the saturation handling is better than in the usual tools. Otherwise, it's a living hell. Even if you increase the falloff values to 50.
Color warper? No 2D curves like in 3dlut creator.
I tried to develop a raw photo. Camera raw>clip/blackmagickdesign film. cst>blackmagick design film ... to "use timeline" etc. The development is terrible. I get much better results in libraw&rawcolor than in all those C1, Adobe Lightroom, Davinci programs. Although I have been working in davinci since final cut studio died, and in rawcolor app only three days! three days!
What's new there? The matchering from the reference frame has not been perfected - it is even better implemented in the 3dlut creator program of antiquity.
There will be something really new in the industry to work with color, you can buy a new iron. In the meantime, nothing new has happened in all these 10-15 years.
Magick mask? ))) are you serious?
Attachments
rawcolor1.jpg
rawcolor1.jpg (724.34 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
davinci1.jpg
davinci1.jpg (666.44 KiB) Viewed 5063 times

dariusii

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 4:24 am

VMFXBV wrote:If you want to experiment with your 7970 you could try NimeZ modded drivers. Could bring latest driver improvements to that old card.

I've been putting them in all sorts of ways recently. After them Davinci does not recognize the card at all) Davinci does not start - "select device in settings". And there is nothing. As I did not go through the quest to configure the installation of these drivers.

No. Everything is much faster with Assimilate Scratch. Arri material shows up quickly. It's okay.
Sent Davinci to the box where Adobe premiere is.

Robinvee_

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm

Hey, I keep having the GPU Memory is full problem. I have tried everything I have seen in videos and other websites.
I have the problem even with a timeline that only is 2 minutes long only has color and simple transitions on it.

I have tried:

- Putting the timeline at a lower resolution 1920x1080
- Updating my driver
- Adjusting paging file settings for the drive
- Closing all other programs when editing
- Using the 3GB switch
- Removing Pirated Programs and Software
- Made sure CUDA is activated only on davinci and not OpenCL
- Changing my timeline view options so it doesn't change the thumbnails everytime I zoom in or out
- Made sure that only my good graphic card is selected and not the integrated one
- I put my optimized media to a quarter of quality, and the media format and render cache format is set to DNxHR SQ

I don't know what to do anymore beacuse I just bought this software and i love how it works but if it keeps crashing I just cant edit and will have passed from premiere for nothing.

This are my computer specs:
- 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
- 16GB RAM
- RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
- 1 TB SSD

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 am

Robinvee_ wrote:Hey, I keep having the GPU Memory is full problem. I have tried everything I have seen in videos and other websites.
I have the problem even with a timeline that only is 2 minutes long only has color and simple transitions on it.

I have tried:

- Putting the timeline at a lower resolution 1920x1080
- Updating my driver
- Adjusting paging file settings for the drive
- Closing all other programs when editing
- Using the 3GB switch
- Removing Pirated Programs and Software
- Made sure CUDA is activated only on davinci and not OpenCL
- Changing my timeline view options so it doesn't change the thumbnails everytime I zoom in or out
- Made sure that only my good graphic card is selected and not the integrated one
- I put my optimized media to a quarter of quality, and the media format and render cache format is set to DNxHR SQ

I don't know what to do anymore beacuse I just bought this software and i love how it works but if it keeps crashing I just cant edit and will have passed from premiere for nothing.

This are my computer specs:
- 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
- 16GB RAM
- RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
- 1 TB SSD

is this on 18.0.3?
what is the source res, frame rate and codec type?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

dariusii

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 5:42 am

Robinvee_ wrote:I don't know what to do anymore beacuse I just bought this software and i love how it works but if it keeps crashing I just cant edit and will have passed from premiere for nothing.

adobe premiere is an even bigger dinosaur from the noughties.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:is this on 18.0.3?

)))

Robinvee_

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am

dariusii wrote:
Robinvee_ wrote:I don't know what to do anymore beacuse I just bought this software and i love how it works but if it keeps crashing I just cant edit and will have passed from premiere for nothing.

adobe premiere is an even bigger dinosaur from the noughties.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:is this on 18.0.3?

)))

Yes I updated to the latest version. My source res is 4k at 60fps and HEVC codec from canon R6

Steve Alexander

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 pm

Are you using Canon Cine w/ CLog3?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Robinvee_

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Are you using Canon Cine w/ CLog3?

I'm using CLOG3 10Bit 4.2.2 H.265 4k 60fps.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 7:54 pm

I asked because that codec is hard to playback. Could be consuming more resources. If you are using optimized media, though, I guess that should solve the playback issue.
Time Traveller

dariusii

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Robinvee_ wrote:Yes I updated to the latest version. My source res is 4k at 60fps and HEVC codec from canon R6

All this says is that windows is not very good at working with memory. And not only with video chip memory, but in general, even with regular memory.
It is most likely not even the video card driver. The kernel module depends on the kernel itself.

It turns out that under windows the hardware requirements are much higher than under mac.

VMFXBV

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 11:14 pm

dariusii wrote:
Robinvee_ wrote:Yes I updated to the latest version. My source res is 4k at 60fps and HEVC codec from canon R6

All this says is that windows is not very good at working with memory. And not only with video chip memory, but in general, even with regular memory.
It is most likely not even the video card driver. The kernel module depends on the kernel itself.

It turns out that under windows the hardware requirements are much higher than under mac.

Or nvidia's memory management is atrocious since the issues are not present on the AMD side.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 am

VMFXBV wrote:Or nvidia's memory management is atrocious since the issues are not present on the AMD side.

On the AMD side errors are caught even if you set the 640x480 resolution in the project settings. One small but. Or rather, two little buts:
1. The problem is only under windows (any drivers).
2. There is no problem in Assimilate Scratch (windows), although the latter also actively uses opencl math. Take 8k material - yes, it will be slow with 8k, but no errors.

VMFXBV

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 1:35 pm

dariusii wrote:
VMFXBV wrote:Or nvidia's memory management is atrocious since the issues are not present on the AMD side.

On the AMD side errors are caught even if you set the 640x480 resolution in the project settings. One small but. Or rather, two little buts:
1. The problem is only under windows (any drivers).
2. There is no problem in Assimilate Scratch (windows), although the latter also actively uses opencl math. Take 8k material - yes, it will be slow with 8k, but no errors.

What errors? Maybe with your dinosaur of a video card...

Not with any modern Polaris and up architecture. And even the 290X and 390X work fine (the 8GB versions). No GPU memory full errors on either of my 8GB RX580, Radeon VII or current 6800XT in Resolve with 4K+ RAW material
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 2:27 pm

Don’t generalise regarding AMD. My iMac with two Radeon 580 has been my workhorse for years and never let me down. Drivers never were a problem under MacOS.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 8:29 am

VMFXBV wrote:
What errors? Maybe with your dinosaur of a video card...

Not with any modern Polaris and up architecture. And even the 290X and 390X work fine (the 8GB versions). No GPU memory full errors on either of my 8GB RX580, Radeon VII or current 6800XT in Resolve with 4K+ RAW material

R9 280x (hd7970) 3 GB. Works perfectly in Davinci Resolve under macOS.

Problems occur only under windows. Changing drivers, and I have tried every conceivable option, does not help.
Most likely, it is in support of old hardware from amd developers. under mac os they are either already being finalized by the Apple programmers themselves, or everything is simpler with writing drivers. Another kernel or something else.
There is no point in buying new hardware. The program is not used for commercial purposes. That is, not such a large amount of input data. It is a hobby.
The program handles 1080p, and it works fine.
If the material is big, I still rotate it to 1080p, create a lut file in Davinci, and then use lut in another program.
There is no discomfort at all.
Last edited by dariusii on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 10:03 am

Then stick with macOS if the card works fine there. GCN 1.0 was dropped from drivers support in Windows and no wonder it doesn't work properly with Resolve, its basically a 2011 card. Features and support get dropped all the time for very old cards.

All modern AMD cards use zero-copy to use system memory as video memory and hardware HBCC on Vega cards.

Not sure this implementation works ok on nvidia or they implement something else hence the gpu memory full errors.

But I've suggested you try NimeZ drivers on Windows and see if that improves things for your card but apparently you didn't / don't want to. In that case I'd suggest you stick with macOS. Or update to a more modern video card.

Resolve 18 works fine in Windows with all those cards I listed in my post above (including an RX480 that I kept as a backup).
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 10:20 am

VMFXBV wrote:Then stick with macOS if the card works fine there. GCN 1.0 was dropped from drivers support in Windows and no wonder it doesn't work properly with Resolve, its basically a 2011 card. Features and support get dropped all the time for very old cards.

All modern AMD cards use zero-copy to use system memory as video memory and hardware HBCC on Vega cards.

Not sure this implementation works ok on nvidia or they implement something else hence the gpu memory full errors.

But I've suggested you try NimeZ drivers on Windows and see if that improves things for your card but apparently you didn't / don't want to. In that case I'd suggest you stick with macOS. Or update to a more modern video card.

Resolve 18 works fine in Windows with all those cards I listed in my post above (including an RX480 that I kept as a backup).

No, I'm aware of these builds. It's no use.
By the way, I put both windows 7 and drivers for win7 (the same different) and there Davinci Resolve 15. The same without positive results all.

dariusii

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 10:26 am

I lied about Davinci Resolve 15.
12.5 one.
It's just that I've been doing this for a long time.
But dancing with the drivers did not help, what kind of drivers did not put. And of course, cleaning through ddu (safe mode) before installing the next ones.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve