Audio comes from only one channel, & panning doesn't work.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PalmerWoodrow

Audio comes from only one channel, & panning doesn't work.

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 am

I have a project with two wave files that are synced with the video in my timeline, each on its own track.

I have one audio track panned hard right, and the other hard left. When playing the timeline, all audio for both tracks comes out of the left channel.

If I double-click an audio event in the timeline to put it in the source viewer and play it, it comes out of both speakers centered.

I tried dragging a previously unused audio file into the timeline, creating a new audio track; it too played only out of the left channel.

This is beta 6.

Anyone else see this?
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Glenn Venghaus

Re: Audio comes from only one channel, & panning doesn't wor

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am

Make sure you set both tracks type to mono . Then panning should work. Track type should match source file type.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

PalmerWoodrow

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks, but that's opposite to what the documentation says:

Stereo/Mono toggle: This button toggles that track between Stereo mode (the button is highlighted orange, channels are shown as “1 + 2”) or Mono mode (the button is gray, channels are shown as “1, 2”). In Stereo mode, stereo panning is enabled. In Mono mode, stereo panning is disabled.

Then again, the documentation on audio appears to be totally wrong (and incomplete). It mentions a ton of controls that don't appear to exist, and doesn't show a picture of a single one:

Audio Mixer Controls
Each track’s channel strip has the following controls

‚ Name: The name of the audio track that channel strip corresponds to...Double-clicking a channel strip names toggles between your custom track name and the number of each audio track in the Timeline. NO THIS DOES NOT; THEY'RE IN SEPARATE AREAS You can also choose whether or not to show track names in the Mixer by choosing View > Use Track Names in Audio Mixer. NO; THAT MENU ITEM DOES NOT EXIST.

‚ Send pop-up: Reveals a set of checkboxes... NO, THIS DOES NOT EXIST.
‚ Reset: This button lets you reset the Send and Stereo/Mono toggle setting. NO, THIS DOES NOT EXIST
‚ Mute: Mutes that track. Orange when enabled. LOOKS MORE LIKE RED
‚ Solo: Mutes all tracks other than ones that are soloed. Blue when enabled. NO, THIS IS GREEN WHEN ENABLED
‚ Stereo/Mono toggle: This button toggles that track between Stereo mode... NO, THIS DOES NOT EXIST
‚ Pan knob: Lets you pan a Mono channel’s audio from left to right... NO, THIS DOES NOT EXIST
‚ Automation Recording mode pop-up: Lets you choose which Automation Recording mode... NO, THIS DOES NOT EXIST

audio controls.png
audio controls.png (271.84 KiB) Viewed 13387 times

Also, there are no ToolTips for any of the icons in the track header area. The lock, S for solo, and M for mute might be obvious enough, but what is this <> thing?

PeterMoretti

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 pm

That thing [<>] is the track auto select button. It crazy important and useful/essential when trying to keyboard edit with more than one track.

It's also oddly brushed over in most tutorials.

More on Page 330 of the manual.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PalmerWoodrow

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for that info.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

rednecked_crake

PostSat May 05, 2018 2:53 pm

So... Was this ever solved? I'm having the same issue, with some audio clips only coming out of the left channel despite going through both if I double-click the clips in the timeline. I can't even find a single other person asking about this via Google, which is why I'm writing in such an old topic.

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm

The problem is likely your audio track type. Try switching it from stereo to mono; I think you right-click on the track header to do that (not at my editing system right now).
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

johnnybregz

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:26 am

you may have hit the "insert" button in the "mixer" section on the right hand side of the Fairlight Panel :D

took me a good 40 mins to discover my blunder. I still don't know which shortcut key was pressed to activate it lol

john

catalyph

PostFri May 14, 2021 2:18 pm

johnnybregz wrote:you may have hit the "insert" button in the "mixer" section on the right hand side of the Fairlight Panel :D

took me a good 40 mins to discover my blunder. I still don't know which shortcut key was pressed to activate it lol

john

If we did accidentally hit insert, what do we do to undo it ?

Charles Bennett

PostFri May 14, 2021 3:52 pm

Click on it with the mouse to turn it on (or off). With it off it merely bypasses all the Effects you have inserted into the channel.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

catalyph

PostSat May 15, 2021 2:15 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Click on it with the mouse to turn it on (or off). With it off it merely bypasses all the Effects you have inserted into the channel.

Yes ok, that was not my issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve