db-journal? - finding my project after crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Nager

db-journal? - finding my project after crash

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi!

Just got an HP z840 workstation that is supposed to be great. It is hooked up with a 40TB synology external RAID Array. Already had a series of crashes with HP and after first series, in just a few short days of use, so HP told me to do a complete wipe of the hard drive (not the external synology drive of course) and to reinstall windows pro 10. So my first project on this new computer that I spent about 10+ hours on was wiped from the hard drive, that is, if it even was operating and saving to and from there? I have the db-journal files on my synology, which was how i was hoping it was saving them.

Given the presence of the db-journal files on my external drive, and all the video files are there as well, is it possible to load up that old project?? I have tried double clicking on it, dragging into davinci on several parts of the workspace, but have had no luck. Is there any hope for recalling this old project so that I can complete it?

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: db-journal? - finding my project after crash

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 12:41 am

I don't know what the db_journal files are? Doesn't seem like something Resolve would create?

Perhaps a screen shot would be useful?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Brian Nager

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 am

Hi! Thanks so much for helping out! I have been at this for days trying to figure this out. I was just going to do a small project, but then got attached to the project and put more time in it on the beta, lol. Perhaps in retrospect that was not a smart move!! ha ha

In case this helps, I am working on windows 10 pro, using davinci 14.6 beta.

When I open resolve, it just goes straight to projects, rather than giving me a choice to go on as admin or guest. I think in earlier 14 beta it did. In 12.5 it did. So maybe this is half the problem?

I tried everything from dragging and dropping into timeline, project manager, media, etc. I've tried double clicking on it, right clicking and selecting "open with davinci resolve 14", etc. I've tried copying and pasting the user files to the new copy of davinci, and still no luck.

I've only found one tutorial online that mentions davinci resolve 14 saves "db files"... not db-journal, but that is as close as i have got of even hearing about this. I search online and nothing comes up either, at least on chrome browser.

The db-journal icons look like project file pictures so i thought they would load no problem, however nothing in my computer seems to recognize them as anything playable or project-wise.

Thanks again!
Attachments
2017-08-07.png
2017-08-07.png (245.85 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Your use of the word journal was confusing. Where do you see that?

In Resolve 14, Disk database projects are stored in the folder structure shown in your screen shot, and they are stored as a single .db file, which is much different than how Resolve 12.5. works.

If you'd like us to look at this, then zip the project folder that contains the .db file and post it on a file sharing site of some sort and provide a link to it.

In Resolve 14, the multi-user login option is gone. So what you are seeing (goes straight to projects) is normal.

In the Project Manager window, if you don't already see the Database list on the left side of the window, then click the Projects icon in the upper left. That will show you the database list.

For 14b6, any existing databases need to be upgraded before they can be used. This might be your issue. Once you see the Databases list, if you see yellow circular rotating arrows on the right side of the database name, that's the indication that the database needs to be Upgraded. To Upgrade, select the database (so it has the red border around it) then right click it, and select Upgrade.

We highly recommend you Backup the database before you Upgrade it, in case you want to move back to an earlier Resolve version later. To Backup a database, select it (so it has the red border) then click the icon at the top that has an up arrow. That will open a Database Backup window, allowing you to select where it's backed up and what it's called.

Once the database(s) have been Upgraded, if the database came from Resolve 12.5, and had multiple users, you will see a user name on the right side of the database name. Probably guest, with a drop down arrow. If you click that, you'll see all the user names in that database, and can select the desired user, and then you'll see their projects in the Projects area on the right.

But if you've already gone through all this after installing 14b6, and were working on a project, and that project disappeared from the Projects window after a crash, send us the zipped project folder and we'll see if it can be recovered.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Brian Nager

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 am

Hi! Not sure if my response went through, because i zipped the files and tried sending the dropbox link and the forum rules stated that you can't upload links. Don't know if it will get posted. So how to get files to you?

I have tried what you have stated, including clicking on the circular yellow arrows to upgrade database, and haven't had any luck as of yet.

Thanks again!!!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:56 am

Try this posting idea, put an artificial space in the dropbox link to make it not look like a link to the computer.. but a human can copy and paste, then remove the link.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve