Fill left with right effect?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Trevor Asquerthian

Fill left with right effect?

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Is there a ‘fill right with left’ effect (e.g. for mono clips in a stereo timeline track?)

I presume it would have to be a VST or AU plugin?

I have found I can do it in the track mixer in Fairlight - set spread to 'PNT' (-3dB pan rule to compensate for, as for mono tracks) but there does not seem to be 'clip based' pan available - either in the inspector or as a timeline overlay

Thanks for any pointers

Nick Verlinden

Re: Fill left with right effect?

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm

You could right click on the audio clip in the timeline (on the Edit page), and choose "Clip Attributes". Then in the "Audio" tab, select "Embedded Channel 1" for the right channel of the clip. I've attached a picture :-)

fill stereo.jpg
fill stereo.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 11995 times
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks Nick, that definitely works (have to convert mono track to stereo then assign embedded audio 1 to output 2...)

Bryan_L

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Just wanted to let you know that this information is still helping others! I've been looking for how to do this for two days without success, but finally hit the right combination of words to bring up your post, which works perfectly in the 17 beta. Thank you very much!

KyleHobbs

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:32 pm

Is there away to use this method on multiple clips? I recorded a large number of video clips that have audio only in one channel

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:40 pm

Besides manually redefining embedded channels via Clip Attributes, the Fairlight Stereo Fixer AFX is available in the Audio FX section of the Effects Library panel and may be instantiated on stereo Audio Clips (or Tracks inserts).

The “Left Only” Format option in the plugin routes the Left Input to both the Left and Right Outputs.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

KyleHobbs

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Thank you this worked

Reynaud Venter wrote:Besides manually redefining embedded channels via Clip Attributes, the Fairlight Stereo Fixer AFX is available in the Audio FX section of the Effects Library panel and may be instantiated on stereo Audio Clips (or Tracks inserts).

The “Left Only” Format option in the plugin routes the Left Input to both the Left and Right Outputs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve