Cannot add timeline of solids and text only to render queue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Brackman

Cannot add timeline of solids and text only to render queue

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 pm

I think I found a bug.

• I'm using Davinci Resolve v14.0.0.078.
  • I have created a solid with a clock wipe lasting all but the last frame of 5 seconds.
  • Above that, I have added a text layer with drop shadow.

Because there is no actual audio or video files on the timeline, the "add to render queue" button is always grayed out, and I can not render this timeline of purely "generated" content. Also there is no video preview in the monitor window of the Deliver page.

Things I have tried:
  • Adding and disabling a video track so that video data would be seen. No change.
  • Adding a second solid below the clock wipe so that it's "transitioning" between two objects instead of one object and the timeline background. No change.
  • Adding a video file onto a new track and disabling the track. No change.
  • Adding a video file onto a new track and disabling the clip (by pressing "D"), leaving the track enabled. No change.
  • Related bug: Could not add an audio track of pure silence. Resolve stops drag/drop operations and eliminates it from the list of browsed files.

One workaround I found which enables adding the timeline to the render queue:
  • Add a new video track below everything. Place ANY video on this layer. Disable or unlink and delete the audio portion of the video, if any.
  • Add a new black solid to a new video track above the video.
SIDE NOTE: There is a bug in this forum post text tool, as any "ordered list" shows the actual code instead of converting it to a numbered list, like this [list=][*]This should be a numbered list item![/list]

It seems that SOME video MUST be on the timeline, and enabled, for Resolve to "allow" it to be added to the render queue!

To recap:

Creating a timeline with the following structure:
  • [V2][Video 2] Title
  • [V1][Video 1] Generated solid color, with or without transition
IS NOT RENDERABLE

— However —

Creating a timeline with the following structure:
  • [V4][Video 4] Title
  • [V3][Video 3] Generated solid color, with or without transition
  • [V2][Video 2] Generated solid color (black)
  • [V1][Video 1] Any video content (with audio portion disabled or removed)
IS RENDERABLE

Resolve 14 bug - workaround (add video layer and obscure it).png
Adding an obscured video layer (without sound) enables the "add to render queue" button!
Resolve 14 bug - workaround (add video layer and obscure it).png (182.42 KiB) Viewed 25081 times

Resolve-v14-Bug---Video-track-disabled-(with-commentary).png
Disabling the video layer (or deleting it) disables the "add to render queue" button!
Resolve-v14-Bug---Video-track-disabled-(with-commentary).png (89.29 KiB) Viewed 25081 times

Uli Plank

Re: Cannot add timeline of solids and text only to render qu

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 am

I found this too and just work around it with some black video.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

PeterMoretti

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 am

Not in front of my computer, but did you try turning it into a compound clip?

Well, turning it into a compound clip does seem to work. For some reason that I don't really understand, generators need to be turned into compound clips to be color corrected, so I guess also for rendering if there is no "real" footage in the timeline.

It's kind of like generators are somewhat "virtual" until they are compounded. (Not saying that this is not a bug, per se.)
Attachments
DVRGeneratorCompoundClip.jpg
Making Generator into Compound Clip Allows it to be Rendered.
DVRGeneratorCompoundClip.jpg (87.11 KiB) Viewed 25061 times
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 am

That is correct: you cannot render a timeline made up entirely of generator clips. You have to have at least one piece of actual media for this to work. I'm not sure why this is so, but it is a "rule."

For rare occasions like this, I have :30 seconds of rendered ProRes black sitting on a source drive just in case I need to render out a generator file. I think you can still mark and in and an out just on the generated title (or whatever you're rendering).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Dekle

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks a million to you guys and gals who have graciously shared your workarounds, this saved me a ton of time and effort trying to figure out what the heck was keeping me from adding to the render queue.
Kudos to you!

Return to DaVinci Resolve