Old servers error when launching

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Enrico Greco

Old servers error when launching

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi guys! I need a help that I think is simple but I can not solve it.
Some time ago I used my MacPro connected to several servers (NAS) and some hard drives via ethernet.
Today I am working elsewhere with the same MacPro and those servers no longer exist.
In "Media ^ Storage" I've deleted those locations, but every time I start Resolve takes a long time to boot because it tries to connect to the old servers, pop up windows appear saying that "can not connect to a certain server because it is not available".

How can I make DaVinci "forget" those servers so it can load faster?

I tried to start the DaVinci with no peripheral or connected disk, even without a network, but the same thing is still happening.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Old servers error when launching HELP

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Did you remove the drives in the DaVinci Resolve Preferences?
Your default settings for cache clip, capture and playback etc should also be set to the first drive in Preferences, thats a permanently connected drive.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Enrico Greco

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Did you remove the drives in the DaVinci Resolve Preferences?
Your default settings for cache clip, capture and playback etc should also be set to the first drive in Preferences, thats a permanently connected drive.

Yes i did! And my default settings for cache clip and everything is the ssd of the Mac Pro, is first in Preferences.

Maybe is something local, like a network error. But i launch DaVinci with no internet nothin connected, no drives, no network cable and still have the problem.

Im guessing is time to backup projects and reinstall, don't you think?

Thanks.

Michael Tiemann

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 3:37 pm

I'm having this problem, too. I have deleted all the Media connections in the Resolve application preferences except for my home directory that's permanently attached, and it insists on trying to open 192.168.1.19 which is no longer configured in my network. I would love to fix this problem without needing to reinstall.

My version of Resolve is 16.1.2

A logfile is in this directory: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wb7jhmuniwx1 ... 4xIua?dl=0
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Michael Tiemann

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Possibly answering my own question: my MBP TimeMachine is pointed at the obsolete file server 192.168.1.19. Perhaps Resolve is being too ambitious in its search for "Locally Attached Storage" and it's attempting to connect to that disk, which is a terribly dumb choice on its part. It should be looking at active mounts in /Volumes, methinks.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Andreas_H

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am

Hello,

Just keeping this thread alive, as this problem STILL exists.
Our Resolve-setup (this is at work, btw) is that we're accessing a NAS for material. However, with a recent IP-change the NAS now have a different IP.

Regardless, everytime I (try to) launch Resolve it takes 2-3 minutes, and it keeps spamming "There was a problem connecting to the server X.X.X.X" (old NAS IP-adress).

Issue no. 1
Nothing in my prefs points to this server. And when it did, it pointed to the NAME, not the IP.

Issue no. 2
Even after deleting prefs (there are tons of them scattered about the OS) same thing happens

Issue no. 3
Starting with the Ethernet-cable unplugged made it possible to at least start in local-mode, but even as I made a new test-project and saved (thinking that this would make Resolve stop looking for the old NAS) Resolve still looks for the old NAS upon re-launch.

What gives? Should we have to reinstall all instances of Resolve?

Note: The ResolveDB is on another server (unchanged IP). This is only our source-footage NAS.

Cushman_Ben

Re: Old servers error when launching

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 11:19 pm

Replying to hopefully get some Blackmagic staff to see this thread.

Still having this exact problem. I have tried wiping all the Davinci folders across OS, resetting the preferences, and reinstalling with no luck.

Would appreciate as this costs us valuable time every day.

rileiv

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:52 pm

Same problem Here, nothing seems to work to remove old servers. Please Blackmagic staff we need your help on this one!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 am

Send a Resolve log.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rileiv

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:31 am

Thank's Dwaine!

This is my log, as you may see, Davinci takes about 5 to 8 minutes to start because it's looking, in vain, for the "ghost" servers that are no longer in the "Media Storage Locations".

Thank's for your kind help.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20221010-202505.zip
(209.13 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:40 am

I'm a bit confused, because I see it loading project SOLAIRE 14 seconds after it's launched?
Dwaine Maggart

rileiv

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Thank's Dwaine for your fast response!

Yes, that's when the QNAP servers were connected. Nevertheless, in the last Davinci app opening the server was down and it took about 8 minutes to launch, asking for servers which were turned off, and already removed from "Media Storage Locations". As you might guess I use this laptop on location to ingest footage so I need it to be able to open the app as fast as posible. Is there a way to remove this server or storage search?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Well, once I dug deep into the logs and finally found one with a delay, I see what your actual problem is.

Welcome to the world of Apple App Store Resolve.

Below is a process I sent to someone else suffering from this issue. This will work for anyone else using App Store Resolve who is suffering from similar issues. This is an App Store specific issue and is not applicable to the BMD website version of Resolve.

App Store Sandboxing. Bah!

In Resolve, go to Project Settings - Color Management.

Scroll down and select Open LUT Folder.

Make sure you have the Finder View menu "Show Path Bar" enabled.

At the bottom of the Finder window that's open showing the LUT folder, you'll see the long convoluted path where Resolve App Store stuff gets saved.

The last part of the path is Library/Application Support/LUT.

Double click on that Library (not the Library further back up the path).

Now select the Preferences folder.

One of the files you'll see there is:

com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore.plist

Change name of that file by adding a .tmp to the end:

com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore.plist.tmp

Now restart Resolve.

The file will get recreated from default settings, and will lose that bogus path info that's causing the delay issue.

You'll need to do this anytime you have the delay issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Bob Zelin

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 6:16 pm

I am writing on Feb 17, 2023. I just had to deal with this exact error with Davinci Resolve. Had it not been for Dwaine writing this detailed explanation on com.blackmagic-design.Davinci.ResolveAppStore.plist and adding the .tmp to the end and restarting Resolve - I would NEVER have been able to figure this out.

Thank you Dwaine - but this is pretty screwed up - and has been going on for years.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 2:01 am

Did I mention "App Store sandboxing, BAH!" ?
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve