Audio Interface not being recognized properly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Major

Audio Interface not being recognized properly

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Howdy all,

To fulfill the basic requirements here:

DaVinci Resolve 14.0.0.78; Mac OS 10.12.6 on 6 core Mac Pro (2010). 32GB RAM. Video ATI Radeon HD 5870.

For starters I am an audio professional of 30 years now and am surprised that the only problem I cannot solve with DaVinci Resolve is audio-related! My audio interface is a Metric Halo ULN-2 connected via FW400. I use this interface for all of my other mixing and mastering work and it works flawlessly with ProTools 11, Nuendo 8, DSP Quattro 4 and even Garage Band (not to mention it's my computer soundcard, in effect). I have used it for over 10 years with no issues whatsoever. Sonically it's a mastering grade convertor...high end stuff here!

I was using Resolve 12.5 with no issues but recently updated my OS to 10.12 so I downloaded and installed Resolve 14. Now, for some reason, I can only get dual mono or mono (left channel only) out of DaVinci via the Fairlight interface. When I try to set up the speakers or outputs or busses it only gives me one available output-despite the fact that the interface has 6 discrete outputs. When I select the single output as my monitor out (or main direct, or anything) it treats it as a mono or dual mono output. I can see in the mixer that the program within the mixer is stereo (the meters bear that out) but the actual output is being summed as a dual mono output.

Even stranger, when I go back to the edit page, all audio is mono out of the left side only.

There seems to be no way to add more outputs or to split a stereo output (as Resolve/Fairlight sees it) into two discrete outputs. The drop down menus only offer the one output.

Now before anyone says there's a problem with my interface, remember that it works perfectly with every other workstation I have.

Any ideas? I may have to go back to 12.5, which would be a bummer.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio Interface not being recognized properly

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:14 am

Have you set up the speaker config in preferences to match your output device?
And a main bus to match?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 am

It seems a serious bug in resolve 14. there are so many similar reports about same problem. My sound FW card also visible as one mono channel as described here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64749#p365473
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Mike Major

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Sorry for the late reply here; I never got a notification that anyone had replied!

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Have you set up the speaker config in preferences to match your output device?
And a main bus to match?

Yeah, I've done all of that. It won't show more than a single mono output. I can add busses but the limitation continues to be a single mono output. When I export, the audio is fine, but DaVinci won't recognize the multiple outputs that are available on my ULN, no matter what.

I may have to get a cheap digital interface and send S/PDIF to my Metric Halo as a workaround. I think it must be a FW 400 thing. Too bad.

Thanks to you both. I give!

Robert Frank

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

OMG, I have this same bug and it's making me insane! Sometimes it works fine, and then the next day Mono audio only, with no ability to select anything other than 'OUT 1'.

No difference when selecting 'Control Room' or 'Studio' and any of the 'sets'.

This is a client killer. Is there any workaround?

Mike Major wrote:Sorry for the late reply here; I never got a notification that anyone had replied!

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Have you set up the speaker config in preferences to match your output device?
And a main bus to match?

Yeah, I've done all of that. It won't show more than a single mono output. I can add busses but the limitation continues to be a single mono output. When I export, the audio is fine, but DaVinci won't recognize the multiple outputs that are available on my ULN, no matter what.

I may have to get a cheap digital interface and send S/PDIF to my Metric Halo as a workaround. I think it must be a FW 400 thing. Too bad.

Thanks to you both. I give!

Return to DaVinci Resolve