VST plugins scan at startup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucius Snow

VST plugins scan at startup

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi all,

When I run DaVinci Resolve 14 studio on Windows, it scans all my VST plugins (which takes a lot of time). It ends with a crash of "DaVinci Resolve Component" window. Is it possible to disable that automatic scan at startup?

Thank you.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: VST plugins scan at startup

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 4:55 am

Can you try the 14.0.1 that was just released.
If it still crashes please post a link to a diagnostic log.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Lucius Snow

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can you try the 14.0.1 that was just released.
If it still crashes please post a link to a diagnostic log.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509

Thank you.

It doesn't crash anymore but it keeps scanning the VST plugins at each startup, even if i disable all of them in the Preferences.

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 pm

I have never seen a VST plugins scan 'Alert' at the startup of Davinci Resolve: What VST? in which directory? (it's just out of curiosity) Thank's
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Lucius Snow

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Jean Claude wrote:I have never seen a VST plugins scan 'Alert' at the startup of Davinci Resolve: What VST? in which directory? (it's just out of curiosity) Thank's

There's no alert but a long scan which takes several minutes. I use WAVES plugin (but i don't need them in Resolve). They're many. I don't remember the exact directory but that's the default one.

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi,

What is the default directory?
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Lucius Snow

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Hi,

What is the default directory?

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns\Waves

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi,

Here all my VST plugin are under (windows 10)
"C: \ Program Files \ Steinberg \ VSTPlugins"

Each plugin manufacturer is in a subdirectory

(do not forget to update the path in the preferences)

to test?

John Paines

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:32 pm

If you want the scans to stop, remove that directory from the preferences. Then you could try adding them one by one to a new directory, to see which plugins are causing the trouble or if they're all causing trouble. And of course you only want the 64 bit VST2 versions.

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:39 pm

John Paines wrote:If you want the scans to stop, remove that directory from the preferences. Then you could try adding them one by one to a new directory, to see which plugins are causing the trouble or if they're all causing trouble. And of course you only want the 64 bit VST2 versions.

Hi,

(This is written on page 1183 of the manual)

"VST (virtual studio technology) is an audio plug-in Standard created by Steinberg."

It seems that the default directory for X64 plugins for Steinberg VST is:
"C: \ Program Files \ Steinberg \ VSTPlugins"

After?

Lucius Snow

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm

John Paines wrote:If you want the scans to stop, remove that directory from the preferences. Then you could try adding them one by one to a new directory, to see which plugins are causing the trouble or if they're all causing trouble. And of course you only want the 64 bit VST2 versions.

I already removed it from the preferences but it keeps scanning on startup.

They don't make trouble anymore since 14.0.1 update. It's just the scan which takes a very long time. The only thing I need is no automatic scan at startup.

Thomas Helzle

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 5:29 pm

I have a similar problem.
The plugin scan starts from scratch each time I open Resolve 14.0.1 on Windows 8.1 x64 and crashes at a certain point.
First it crashed with Focusrite Plugins ("Midnight Suite" etc.). I don't use them anyway so I uninstalled them.
But now it crashes with Native Instruments "Replika" which I'll definitely not uninstall.
After a restart it starts from scratch again - rinse and repeat.

Every other audio application I use puts a crashing plugin on a blacklist and continues the scan. The Resolve docs seem to mention the same, but it does not work. There also does not seem to be a way to manually force a re-scan other than restarting Resolve.

a.) Is there a way to break this cycle of doom and either have Resolve put the plugin it can not handle on a blacklist or let me do it manually somehow?
b.) Is it "normal" that the scan process crashes completely and does not restart and continue itself after a plugin crash?

I have something like 500+ plugins installed and would like to be able to get through the initial startup scan at least once... ;-)

- All my plugins work in all other audio applications I have (Bitwig Studio, Reaper, Tracktion, Live Lite, Studio One, Usine, Bidule etc.
- I hope this scan will not take place every time I start Resolve in the future. Normally it should only check for changed/new/updated plugins after the initial scan.

Windows 8.1 x64, 64 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 980 TI, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, 6 core, 12 threads i7 @ 4.1 Ghz.

Thanks for any pointers! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Brian Szepatowski

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Tom,

Replika does work in Resolve. I have moved all of my x64 plugins to C:\Program Files\Common Files...then in sub directories VST2, VST3, and VSTi. I never let Resolve see the VSTi folder.

I know it's a pain but I manually control where the plugins go. Also, make sure resolve isn't scanning your x32 folder or that x32 plugins got install in your x64 folder.

HTH,
Brian
Last edited by Brian Szepatowski on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System:
CPU: i7-4770K | Ram: 32 GB | Video: GTX 780 Ti 3GB | Monitors: (2) PB278 27" | OS: 1TB SSD | Audio: Scarlett 18i20
Software:
OS: Win10 Pro (v.20H2 b.19042.964) | Davinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1 | Nuendo 11 | Sound Forge Pro 14
Gear:
BMPCC 6k

Thomas Helzle

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Brian Szepatowski wrote:Hi Tom,

Replika does work in Resolve. I have moved all of my x64 plugins to C:\Program Files\Common Files...then in sub directories VST2, VST3, and VSTi. I never let Resolve see the VSTi folder.

I know it's a pain but I manually control when the plugins go. Also, make sure resolve isn't scanning your x32 folder or that x32 plugins got install in your x64 folder.

HTH,
Brian

Thanks Brian, but that does not really help me.
I will not re-organize a big, perfectly working VST collection because of Resolve being unable to deal with it as it should.
It is my x64 VST plugins folder I set Resolve to scan and it was not x86 plugins it crashed on.
It also had no problem with VSTIs, Replika is no VSTI anyway.
VST3 plugins are in a different folder, that path is pretty much hardlocked by the Steinberg SDK and I don't intend to change it.

So if it Replika works for you, I wonder what the difference may be?

And just to be clear:
My main question is, why Resolve is not scanning VSTs in a way where plugins it can not digest are simply blacklisted. Everything else is pretty much unusable in a professional host.
Finding plugins that do not work and see if something can be done about it is a separate matter from making sure that at least the plugins that do work can be used.
Since the scanner crashes and does not write successfully scanned plugins into a list right away, I am unable to use any plugins ATM, which leaves me with some irritation.
And I'm currently evaluating Resolve, so won't change my whole smooth running audio system for it.

Cheers,

Tom

Brian Szepatowski

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Tom,

I understand where you are coming from and in a perfect world you are correct that the program shouldn't crash on plugin scan. I had some problems at the beginning of the Beta 14 cycle.

Ok, so don't change your current folders structure. Just add a new folder, point Resolve to it and copy the dll's to the new one. That way you can skip Replika, so you can test the system and each plugin one at a time.

Brian
System:
CPU: i7-4770K | Ram: 32 GB | Video: GTX 780 Ti 3GB | Monitors: (2) PB278 27" | OS: 1TB SSD | Audio: Scarlett 18i20
Software:
OS: Win10 Pro (v.20H2 b.19042.964) | Davinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1 | Nuendo 11 | Sound Forge Pro 14
Gear:
BMPCC 6k

Thomas Helzle

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 12:16 am

Sorry Brian, didn't get a notification from your reply.

Today I had a bit of free time so I thought I try once again.
I renamed Replika.dll to Replika.bak for the moment to see what would happen.

Turns out Resolve is actually doing part of what it should: After a plugin crashes (other than Replika) the scanner now starts again most of the time - which is good - but it starts from the very first plugin again - which is idiotic.

So I let it run in the background for something like an hour so far. I had maybe 20-40 crashes. Each time after a crash, the scanner scans all plugins. again. and again. and again. and again...
Sometimes it is restarted, sometimes not, then I have to restart Resolve (closing Resolve also gives me a crash each and every time).
But it seems Resolve is actually filling a blacklist other than for Replika.

What it needs is also a whitelist of plugins it actually scanned already. Every other audio software on the planet starts the scan where it last left off after such a crash.
Good DAWs/Audio Applications also manage to a.) don't chrash with any of my plugins and b.) monitor the scanning process and close the crashed plugin or scanner automatically so that the user does not have to sit there babysitting it.

Of course I can separate some plugins into another folder, but that can only be a temporary solution, not something I want to maintain forever.

I'll see how far I get, looks like I'm halfways through my VST folder so far...

Cheers,

Tom

Thomas Helzle

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 am

Ok, so now I'm mostly through my VST folder after scanning it for something that felt like a hundred times, had some weird stuff where plugins suddenly crashed that were fine before, but now the Audio FX Scanner crashes each time on something called "SYS Pitch" - anybody has any idea what that could be? It doesn't show a .dll Name - is that some internal effect crashing now? I wasn't able to find it on my disk...
Curioser and Curioser...

SysPitch.jpg
SysPitch.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 18137 times

Cheers,

Tom

Thomas Helzle

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 am

Finally I removed the path to my plugin folder completely and it still crashes (the Audio FX scanner that is).

Seems totally borked. I uninstalled and re-installed Resolve, made no difference either.

I guess I need to contact support and see if they have any idea what's going on.

Cheers,

Tom

Windows 8.1 x64, 64 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 980 TI & GTX 660 TI, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, i7 6 core @ 4.1 Ghz.
All current drivers and system updates. Resolve 14.0.1

Lucius Snow

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Why not a simple option in "Preferences" to enable / disable VST this automatic scan at startup?

Brian Szepatowski

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, Lucius,

Yep, something like that would be better. Most DAW's allow for an option key on loading a file that allows you to select whether you want to load a VST or not. I haven't seen a complete bypass during initial scan.

Tom, so your saying that after removing the VST folder from Resolve it is still crashing? I wonder if there is no folder specified, it defaults to the Steinberg folder location?

Also, I tried looking up that SYS pitch and couldn't find anything on Google. Closest I could find was some wind power company and AutoTune ect.

Brian
System:
Software:
Gear:
BMPCC 6k

Thomas Helzle

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey Brian,

yeah, the plugin scanner even crashes when there are no VST paths set at all.
I don't have any plugins in the default VST folders normally, so that shouldn't be it.
And since I have no idea what that "SYS Pitch" could be, I can't hunt it down manually.

Resolve does not show any of it's native Audio FX either (I assume it comes with a couple of effects even in the normal, non-studio version?).

Too busy ATM to try to debug this, but for now I've given up on Resolve for audio.
Thankfully there's Bitwig Studio and VidPlayVST... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

monkeydemon

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 am

I have this same problem on a Mac that I primarily use for audio editing, and so there are dozens of VSTs. I've disabled them in preferences and removed the path as well, but it won't stop. It just keeps going and then crashes.

Has there been any resolution to this problem?

Thanks

Chris

Thomas Helzle

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 pm

For me it's actually solved in Resolve 15 Beta 6 (later versions were too buggy for me in other areas).
I don't see any crashes and all plugins that work at all in Resolve show up as expected.
Did you try the Beta?

Cheers,

Tom

scrape

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 pm

any other solutions for this? even after removing the route to my vst folder in settings and reinstalling resolve Studio 15.0.1.003, Resolve is still scanning a few problematic vst's repeatedly. i tried removing the vst's it had an issue with and the scanner found some new ones to get stuck on instead. this is very frustrating, I've just bought an Ursa Mini Pro and would like to edit and grade in Resolve instead of FCPX.

Diko.bg

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:01 pm

In Adobe and Reason they are scanned one time only and per request for refresh when new VSTs are being added/installed. Here every time I start DV 16 it asks to scan all my VSTs. IMHO it isn't the right way. Once DV knows what it can use it shouldn't check them every time.

Or this is a solved problem already?
As far as it concerns me - the scanning process works fine on my system. It just takes time. And yeah I can work while it scans, but why scanning every time? I install rarely new VST3s.

PS: And yeah - I want to have them (my vst3s) all at any time at my disposal. ;-) For me this workaround with DISABLE, remove VST dir from preferences is not a viable option, actually.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand."
-
Leonardo da Vinci

Pavel Rybakov

PostSun May 17, 2020 9:08 am

Same thing for me. I want to disable this boring rescan of VST plugins and do this manually if I install a new one. I can't understand why Davinci rescan plugins every time?
https://vimeo.com/nrggroup
...and sorry for my english =)
ASUS GL504GS laptop with Corei7 8750 & GeForce 1070, SSD Toshiba 512 NVMe + SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
Macbook Air M1 8/256

psiclone

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm

I have to say this is pretty asinine. I tried to load the latest version of Resolve just now and it literally scans my entire collection of VSTs (quite large) and then a few seconds after it's done does it again. This process repeats incessantly. It should scan when called for. It shouldn't have to rescan already scanned plugins on load. To say that it has to is to have me point you to just about any DAW out there (Fruity Loops comes to mind) that scans plugins and then will either A) Only load new ones automatically [yes I understand it has to scan real-time] or B) not scan unless we tell it to.

Perhaps the way around this is to have it only scan for a plugin when it is called upon in the directories specified by the settings. That way, it should scan once for the plugin at hand. A full list can be scanned the first time so that the user can determine which one they wish to use. It then scans only the plugin(s) that the user calls for in that project. It still doesn't negate the incessant scanning (which I still don't understand the need for), but at least would minimize it and the wear and tear on a drive.

mcdebugger

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 pm

psiclone wrote:I have to say this is pretty asinine. I tried to load the latest version of Resolve just now and it literally scans my entire collection of VSTs (quite large) and then a few seconds after it's done does it again. This process repeats incessantly. It should scan when called for. It shouldn't have to rescan already scanned plugins on load. To say that it has to is to have me point you to just about any DAW out there (Fruity Loops comes to mind) that scans plugins and then will either A) Only load new ones automatically [yes I understand it has to scan real-time] or B) not scan unless we tell it to.

Perhaps the way around this is to have it only scan for a plugin when it is called upon in the directories specified by the settings. That way, it should scan once for the plugin at hand. A full list can be scanned the first time so that the user can determine which one they wish to use. It then scans only the plugin(s) that the user calls for in that project. It still doesn't negate the incessant scanning (which I still don't understand the need for), but at least would minimize it and the wear and tear on a drive.

I totally agree with you. Scanning for VSTs each time I run DaVinci Resolve is a nightmare.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 2:00 pm

mcdebugger wrote:I totally agree with you. Scanning for VSTs each time I run DaVinci Resolve is a nightmare.
macOS or Windows? Resolve 17.2.1?

Resolve only rescans when installing new plugins or updating existing plugins.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm

I'm in agreement with Reynaud. no rescanning of plug-ins here. This is my plug-in page showing the file locations.
Attachments
VST Plug-ins.jpg
VST Plug-ins.jpg (119.08 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Mathias Schreiber

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 9:44 am

Since I got here for the same reason:
on OSX I had the initial installer hanging as well.
Instead of killing the process "Davince Resolve Studio", killing the process "VST detect" did the job for me.
The detection was cancelled, but Resolve itself came up, so I could get into the preferences.
TYPO3 Open Source Content Management System
3x URSA 4.6 G2 > Xeen Cinema
Resolve rules!

Pavel Rybakov

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Still actual. After last update it rescan VST again and again. It's working in background but it's annoying.
https://vimeo.com/nrggroup
...and sorry for my english =)
ASUS GL504GS laptop with Corei7 8750 & GeForce 1070, SSD Toshiba 512 NVMe + SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
Macbook Air M1 8/256

TheBloke

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Resolve Studio 17.4 on macOS 11.5.2:

I am seeing rescanning of plugins each time I load Resolve. Sometimes it takes approx 20 seconds, sometimes a lot less. It's definitely not scanning every one though, as that would take a lot longer.

Here's a video demonstration where I launch Resolve three times in a row:

Going into Preferences -> Audio Plugins show all have loaded successfully, including the ones that keep re-scanning.

I believe VST3 plugins are loading OK for me in general. For example I can see that I have VST 2.4 and VST 3 versions of, for example, FabFilter Pro-Q 3:

However if I look at one of those plugins that's loading over and over - eg "MWobblerMB" - I seem to only have one version in Resolve:

Whereas I know from looking in Reaper that I have both VST and VST3 versions of it.

I'm wondering if that's the issue for all these plugins showing as repeatedly loading. Other examples I can see in my video above, eg Eg "WLM Meter 5.1", also have both VST and VST3 versions, and identical names in each

Resolve loading "WLM Meter 5.1" on every load:
Reaper showing I have both VST and VST3 versions, with identical names:

So could the issue perhaps be that:
- plugins that exist in both VST and VST3 formats
- and have identical names in each
- show as re-scanning on every launch
- and never show their VST3 versions?

(I should really purge some of these plugins! Most of them are expired demo versions.)
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Tom, is Resolve 17.4 scanning a different set of VST plugins with each application launch?

Identical behaviour with the VST version disabled in Resolve Preferences?

Are the Audio Unit versions installed in addition to the VST formats?

TheBloke

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm going to dinner in a minute so I'll do a more complete update later. But as a quick post:

In the three launches I recorded:
- Launch 1 and Launch3, which both took ~20 seconds, seem to scan the same set of plugins. For example "MWobbler" and "MWobblerMB" are in both launches

- Launch 2, which took <5 seconds, scanned a much briefer list. Only three or four were listed.

Yes I likely have AU plugins of every, or at least nearly every, plugin that's installed as VST and VST3 - I can't immediately think of any that would be in only one format or the other. When installing plugins I always choose all of VST, VST3 and AU if those options are available.

Of the two plugins I mentioned earlier - MWobblerMB and "WLM Meter 5.1", MWobblerMB has AU, VST and VST3 installed; WLM Meter 5.1 has VST and VST3 installed, but not AU.

More info later.

BMD Speed Editor

TheBloke

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 9:17 am

The issue has gone for me now.

Since last night, I have:
- Uninstalled all Waves plugins, which were all expired demos.
- Upgraded Melda plugins to latest version 15.0.

Next time I opened Resolve it did a scan of the newly updated plugins. But after that, no more scans. I've tested four or five restarts since with no more scans.

The Waves plugins I installed 18 months ago and hadn't updated since. And the Melda ones were a year or so old as well. So maybe whatever the issue was, it was related to the older version plugins. Or just reinstalling them and having Resolve rescan them as new helped in some way.

Not sure, but it seems fine for me now.

BMD Speed Editor

Thomas Helzle

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Yeah, seems like I'm also getting a somehow erratic behaviour with the scanning again.
Many plugins re-scanned each time I start Resolve 17.4 on Windows 8.1 x64.
Maybe just growing pain with VST3... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Return to DaVinci Resolve