BMD's own made Centos ISO missing Isohybrid mbr table!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Walter Sonius

BMD's own made Centos ISO missing Isohybrid mbr table!

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 10:27 pm

The following BMD DR 14 resolve iso misses the "Isohybrid" mbr feature unlike the Official Centos installer and many other Linux Distributions.
http://downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/DaVinci-Resolve-Linux-14.0-CentOS_7.3.iso

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isohybrid

This feature makes it very easy for a Linux or Mac OS user to 'dd' the raw iso image to an USB disk and boot/install Centos Linux from it. A correct implementation even makes it compatible with EFI booting too besides BIOS booting El Torito CD/DVD functionality.

Does BMD really expect that we write DVD's to do a install in 2017, or am I missing a updated ISO file somewhere else?

Abdelrahman Magdy

Re: BMD's own made Centos ISO missing Isohybrid mbr table!

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 pm

AFAIK, you should use DVD for the BMD CentOS ISO... I don't know why they made it without the option to use USB, but that is how they always did it (DVD only)
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes, we really expect you to make a DVD. The ISO will not work from a USB stick.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Walter Sonius

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for official answering, maybe developers find some time / urge in the near future to complete the iso image for easier installing without wasting DVD media.

sakulgro

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Dwaine Maggart, can you elaborate on why this is?
People might try
Code: Select all
isohybrid
to make this USB bootable. So it might be good to know if there is a technical reason why a DVD is necessary or if this is just something you'd prefer not to support even though technically achievable.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't know the intimate details. I believe the issue is related to hard coded paths in the ISO that won't work with USB sticks.

I believe this will be dealt with in an upcoming ISO release, since the CentOS releases are becoming too large to fit on a DVD, but I don't have a time frame for that.
Dwaine Maggart

sakulgro

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:37 am

Looking forward to that update!
As a side not to all the curious out there, running isohybrid and building a USB bootable image out of the DVD ISO works only until what seems to be the automated storage media detection. I guess this is where not only having one drive (the main SSD/HDD) but also the USB drive messes up the setup routine.

rsf123

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:52 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I don't know the intimate details. I believe the issue is related to hard coded paths in the ISO that won't work with USB sticks.

I believe this will be dealt with in an upcoming ISO release, since the CentOS releases are becoming too large to fit on a DVD, but I don't have a time frame for that.

Out of the four operational Mac computers I have, and a fifth proposed new PC - only the 2012 MacBook Pro has a DVD drive.

Hence, it'd be really useful to be able to install BM's CentOS from a USB drive.

For my new PC later this year, I'd like to have a Linux build on a separate SSD solely for Davinci Resolve work, while the Windows build will be for general use.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:47 am

That's what external USB DVD drives are for.

I still have hope that we'll have a modified ISO someday that will install from a USB stick.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve