VST's working in Demo mode

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Darren Martin

VST's working in Demo mode

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 am

I can't get any of my AU or VST's working, i have added the correct folder (library/audio/plugins/vst)
when i add an effect to a track the vst's are coming up as un activated and need to be activated to work. I don't want to have to go through the activation process for countless VST's Is this normal? I'm running the Free version of Resolve 14.01

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: VST's working in Demo mode

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:34 am

Resolve does not activate or deactivate any AU or VST plugins so your issue is with them. Did you install the plugins as your note suggested you made a folder and put some in there?

Either way Resolve doesn't get involved in the activation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Darren Martin

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Resolve does not activate or deactivate any AU or VST plugins so your issue is with them. Did you install the plugins as your note suggested you made a folder and put some in there?

All my plugins are activated and all work in my DAW, i haven't moved any plugins, just added the VST folder to DaVinci's preferences/audio plugins. None of the AU versions work at all.

Darren Martin

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Resolve does not activate or deactivate any AU or VST plugins so your issue is with them. Did you install the plugins as your note suggested you made a folder and put some in there?

All my plugins work fine and have always worked in my DAW, i haven't moved any of them, i have just added the VST and AU folders in Resolves preferences/audio plugins

jeffsargeant

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

You might have to re-enter/active the plug-ins through their interface (user control panel) within Resolve. I had to do that with a few of mine.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-Inch, Late 2015
OSX 10.12.6
Processor 3.3 GHz i5
Memory 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
Headphone out to Mackie CR3 Powered Reference Monitors

Jeff Sargeant
Videographer @
Flowmaster/Hurst/B&M
Hayden, ID

Darren Martin

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 2:39 am

jeffsargeant wrote:You might have to re-enter/active the plug-ins through their interface (user control panel) within Resolve. I had to do that with a few of mine.

well thats annoying!! I tried to do that with a Kontakt plugin and it came up with...

Service Center can not be found.
Please run the product installer again to install Service Centre.

I just can't get any to work?

Simon Brown

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am

Darren Martin wrote:
jeffsargeant wrote:You might have to re-enter/active the plug-ins through their interface (user control panel) within Resolve. I had to do that with a few of mine.

well thats annoying!! I tried to do that with a Kontakt plugin and it came up with...

Instrument plugins are unlikely to work. My feeling is that it's better to have a separate folder for plugins you want to use with Resolve, and copy the effects you want to use into that.

Darren Martin

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Simon Brown wrote:
Darren Martin wrote:

Instrument plugins are unlikely to work. My feeling is that it's better to have a separate folder for plugins you want to use with Resolve, and copy the effects you want to use into that.

Yeah i presumed instrument plugins wouldn't work (maybe oneday, that'd be awesome! Not one of any of my plugins work, reverbs, eq's from NI Kontakt. None of my UAD plugins work either, its coming up with this error:

UAD driver or UAD hardware not found. (-9)

It must be something simple i'm not doing as no one else seems to be having this problem??

Simon Brown

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Oh, Komplete. You're talking about Komplete. Kontakt is a VI which is part of that package. That's where my confusion was.

Unfortunately I don't have a handle on what your problem might be, those plugins from Komplete that I've used in Resolve (compressors mainly) have all worked fine, along with several other paid plugins I've tried. I don't know if it's a Windows/Mac difference or something else.

Darren Martin

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Doh, my bad yes Komplete is what i meant.

Very strange, i just started my computer this morning and everything is working fine! I hadn't changed anything from last time when they weren't working and i have restarted many times trying to fix the problem.

I had a problem yesterday where the volume of a clip wasn't responding to my keyframe automation. I couldn't figure it out so i restarted my computer and it fixed it. It seems there's bugs in Resolve 14.0.078, could be in my system i guess but that sort of stuff never happened in FCPX

Return to DaVinci Resolve