XAVC-S footage with version 11 (again)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paulo Jan

XAVC-S footage with version 11 (again)

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Hello:

I got bitten this week by the bug with Resolve 11 being unable to read timecode in XAVC-S footage shot with the Sony A7S. (I can't upgrade to later versions because I'm still on Windows 7 SP1). There are already plenty of threads about this: I exported an XML from Premiere, and when trying to import it to Resolve, it wasn't able to find the footage. Nothing worked; importing the files first in the Media Pool, pointing to the folder by hand...

After researching for a bit and reading this forum, I tried two things that I thought would be equivalent:

-Used Premiere to do a "Consolidate and Transcode" of all the footage to Cineform MOV files. Didn't work; Resolve still couldn't locate the files when importing an XML... but the odd thing is that, when importing the MOVs manually in the Media Pool, it could definitely read the timecode.

-I finally went and got EditReady, which is the tool that everybody here recommended here for this case. I rewrapped the Sony files to MOVs... and it finally worked.

Anyway, I did find a solution, but it's a bit of a hassle: moving all my footage to the Mac just to rewrap it, moving it back... Besides, Cineform is definitely a better codec than H264 for grading, so what I'd like to know is...: what was the problem with the Cineform/MOV files that I transcoded with Premiere? From everything I've read about the cause of this problem, they should work (and in fact, as I said, Resolve does see the timecode in them if I import them manually). Is there some other technical oddity at fault here?

Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve