Vector Graphics??

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Litwinowicz

Vector Graphics??

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm working on a video in which I would like to include a logo I've designed—the logo is in Adobe Illustrator format—and I'm wondering how to use this in DaVinci Resolve...? It doesn't seem to recognize .ai or .svg files... Do I have to use Fusion to integrate this somehow? I've tried exporting a ridiculously over-sized raster version of the logo from Illustrator as .png with transparency as a workaround to use in Resolve, but testing how it renders yields less-than-desirable results—super poor anti-aliasing :( I tried .tiff as well but the transparency doesn't seem to be recognized... is there some setting I can change that would fix this if nothing can be done about vector formats? I would like very much to use actual vector graphics in this video as the logo is an integral part of the branding... does anybody know how to do this in DaVinci Resolve/Fusion or do I have to look for other software that can accomplish this?

any help is appreciated

Jack Swart

Re: Vector Graphics??

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 am

I wish...
svg or eps would be fantastic.

my 2c
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

John Litwinowicz

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 4:46 am

:/
I'm honestly bamboozled as to how a program could be such an "industry standard" if it doesn't have native support for other industry-standard formats... If there's no way to integrate vector graphics into a video project, that is a TREMENDOUS gaping hole in the functionality...

John Litwinowicz

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 am

Jack Swart wrote:I wish...
svg or eps would be fantastic.

my 2c

off to a great start so far lol... (sigh)
I would find it so hard to believe that such an "industry standard" of a program could be lacking ANY way to integrate other industry-standard file formats...

Kyle R Lancaster

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Does anyone know if this functionality has been added? I'm coming from Premiere and I really miss the ability to drop most graphics and logos right into the timeline
KYLE R LANCASTER
gigantic film co

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Premiere has it's strength in illustration and graphics, since that's where Adobe's roots are.

But you can import SVG into Fusion (Menu>Import>SVG).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm

John Litwinowicz wrote:I'm honestly bamboozled as to how a program could be such an "industry standard" if it doesn't have native support for other industry-standard formats

Adobe's own Premiere Pro will rasterize Vector graphics upon Import.

Vector graphics just aren't used all that much in video production. They're designed more for print work where the deliverables vary greatly in resolution.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rsf123

PostThu May 23, 2019 1:58 am

As suggested above, I found the SVG import. It is in the FUSUION pulldown menu / Import / SVG.

So I imported a SVG file, and cannot see where the SVG file appears. I assumed it would be placed in the media pool, but it is not there. Where is it?

How come SVG files can't simply be dragged and dropped into the media pool like other image files?

You say vector graphics are not often used in videos, but for 4K videos - where we do not want to see rastering of lines, why aren't vector graphics used?

I ask these questions (and I'd appreciate answers) because I have to add a lot of shapes made out of line drawings into my videos. It is so easy to create these drawings in a drawing software, and add them in as graphic files, whereas doing them in Fusion adds a massive layer of complexity. So I thought vector graphics would be ideal to show the lines of the drawings cleanly - but you're saying vector graphics are not used much? Why? I want to avoid the dotty appearance of bit-mapped images.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:38 pm

rsf123 wrote:You say vector graphics are not often used in videos, but for 4K videos - where we do not want to see rastering of lines, why aren't vector graphics used?

Vector graphics have to be rasterized for display on a screen at some point. It may be done by Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, or even Resolve if it could open vector graphics. The point is they have to be rasterized, and whether you see aliasing in the lines depends on how this process is accomplished by the software.

It's not that if you import vector graphics into an NLE the thin diagonal lines will magically be clean and smooth.

Photoshop will do a very fine job if you rasterize at a larger image size and scale down to your actual timeline raster size. You can play with different scaling algorithms and do additional blur to smooth out the lines. Generally, thin lines do not look good on screen especially if moving.

If you're seeing artifacts in Resolve verify the clip premultiplication setting is correct (if there is an alpha channel).
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

ShutterlabCreative

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:54 pm

As someone coming from Adobe, I use vector-based graphics in virtually every project. Having to manually resize a raster graphic based on output seems inefficient and antiquated to me. I'll make a request for drag and drop support to be added since vector graphics are one of the most common types of media used for me. Being new to Resolve, I'm surprised this isn't a supported feature.
Studio 18.5b3
LAPTOP- Win10 Home - i7-9750H@2.6 -- 64GB RAM
- RTX2070 8Gb
- System - 1Tb NVMe - Work Drive ext. 2Tb NVMe
DESKTOP- Win10 Pro - i7-3930K@3.2 - 64GB RAM
- RTX 4090 (Latest Firmware)
- System - 1Tb SSD | Cache - 2Tb SSD | Work Drive 4Tb SSD

InterrobangMP

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:53 pm

rsf123 wrote:As suggested above, I found the SVG import. It is in the FUSUION pulldown menu / Import / SVG.

So I imported a SVG file, and cannot see where the SVG file appears. I assumed it would be placed in the media pool, but it is not there. Where is it?

I have this same issue. But in 15.3 you have no option to specifically import an svg. When you go to the import dialog svg files are not greyed out, which would say to me that they are accepted in Fusion. But once I click on an svg to import it, it does not appear in the media pool.

How does one get it there?
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
10-core CPU, 32-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

Sean Cusson

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm

So I've just run in to this issue myself. The common Davinci user answer seems to be "convert to a png" or "why do you need vector?" which just points out Davinci's apparent inexperience will full-on motion graphics work. The SVG import option is there but man, what a mess it makes on import. Every single stroke in the illustrator file is brought in as a separate node. I've got a full scene in Illustrator with over 100 layers and Fusion doesn't seem to know what the hell to do with it. Constant crashing. At this point I'm assuming it can only handle "simple" vector work and I should likely stick with After Effects to do any real vector motion graphic stuff which is disappointing because I really liked it's potential

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Although it is always nice to have new feature and functionality added, vector graphics is the least important to narrative and broadcast producers and more important to commercial producers who needs motion graphics in their line of work. I think it is obvious that Resolve is catering towards narrative/broadcast more so that their focus in is providing enough functionality that will allow the import of vector graphics (svg) and raster it suitable enough for narrative/broadcast delivery.

If you need fine control of your graphics, then stay with Adobe product for now. Maybe someday Resolve will have the capability to do what Adobe does best (graphics work) and time for it. Why try to put a round peg in a square hole after all?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Vector graphics just aren't used all that much in video production. They're designed more for print work where the deliverables vary greatly in resolution.

Uhhh...no.

Vector graphics are heavily used in video production, at least in commercial work where you're working with advertising agencies who are constantly futzing around with the size of logos, supers, disclaimers, etc. right down to the last minute.

But in fairness, although Premiere does allow you to import vector graphics, they don't retain infinite scalability once imported into Premiere, because they are rasterized on import. Only After Effects really does a good job with this, which is the reason why I still rely on AE for doing type, supers and graphics work for commercial projects.

That said, Resolve really does need to at least import and rasterize .AI/.EPS vector files at a bare minimum, without forcing you to use SVG's in the Fusion page.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Chris Theofanopoulos

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 pm

You can import svg files at fusion tab
Fusion/Import/SVG...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Chris Theofanopoulos wrote:You can import svg files at fusion tab
Fusion/Import/SVG...

Correct. As I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

djsquared

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 4:23 pm

It's 2021 and this still exists as an issue. Sigh.

The result is: I only use Resolve for color or for video-only projects.

I have to assume at this point that there is some IP that Adobe owns which makes 'continuously rasterizing' amazingly difficult to implement for Blackmagic. For now, we will have to continue to imagine an Adobe-alternative world where a vector logo can be easily scaled/animated (let alone any serious alternative for full motion graphics - Fusion as it is a compositing-focused tool obviously just doesn't match up).

Return to DaVinci Resolve