Mapping 7.1 Sound For Delivery

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DaveWilliams

Mapping 7.1 Sound For Delivery

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 4:10 am

Hi. Newbie here. Coming from Vegas Pro.

This is my first time editing in Resolve. I thought this would be simple (and I have read the manual) but I cannot figure out how to output an MP4 file with 7.1 surround sound intact.

I have 11 tracks of audio. Only one track has panning from front to back. Several tracks are for the sub woofer; several for the center channel and most of the others are for all speakers. What settings do I need and where do I find the settings. I'm not sure what areas need to be altered to give me the 7.1 output sound.

I've exported 5.1 sound from Vegas and had no problems - of course Vegas does not offer the control that Resolve does, but Vegas is much easier to use - IMO.

Thanks for any help!

DaveWilliams

Re: Mapping 7.1 Sound For Delivery

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

So no one here knows how to get 7.1 sound out? Is this a secret that only those who've worked with Resolve for years understand? I don't understand why this is not relatively straight forward or something covered in the manual. I've never dealt with surround sound before - only tested once in Vegas where I didn't even have to read the manual - and it worked the first time. Not so much here with Resolve.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 pm

I'd be interested in learning how this is done as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am

Please see this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66753&p=375539#p376738 for a well illustrated discussion.

In that example, you add 8 monos, use the Linked Groups to set the individual speaker channels to the mix you want (here 7.1). The linked tracks ensure that the tracks intended for each speaker are automatically set to the appropriate pans.
This works best if the individual mono tracks are already are in the correct format order.
Alternatively, set up the 7.1 on empty monos and observe the channels now set up, before bringing in any audio clips.

Any additional tracks (say a second left speaker) added will need an appropriate pan change - in most cases this just involves positioning the blue marker in the Pan icon, or double-clicking it to open the pan dialog for a more fine-tuned approach.

For Boom-only channels, Opt-double-click the Pan icon - and set Boom to On and Only (i.e. no non-boom channel mixing). Since you're isolating boom here, please remember to set the boom gain appropriately too.

DaveWilliams

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 7:07 am

Shrinivas Ramani... thanks, but I'm not quite sure I understand. I have 11 different tracks. Some are for specific speakers - like the subwoofer - others are for the center channel only. You have to blend these down to 8 mono tracks?

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 8:07 am

DaveWilliams wrote:I have 11 tracks of audio. Only one track has panning from front to back
For automated panning, here's one method: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... 77#p365020

Several tracks are for the sub woofer
Are these signals exclusively for the LFE?

Enable Boom in the Panner, and enable Pre, and dial in the Send level (this functions like an Aux Send).

Pull the channel fader down to negative infinity to not send signal to the other channels in the fixed channel configuration. The Blue Bead within the Panner now has no effect.

As illustrated, only the LFE channel in the Master Buss will receive signal from the "UNO" channel.
Note: the Master Buss is in 7.1 Film fixed channel configuration.

Obviously, if the signals also require routing to the other channels in the fixed channel configuration, increase channel fader gain to define levels in the Master Buss as required for L,C,R,LS,RS,LB,RB.

Use the Blue Bead to define "Divergence", and then use the LFE send level within the Panner to define levels exclusively for the LFE channel.

several for the center channel
Note: the Master Buss is in 7.1 Film fixed channel configuration, following the L,C,R,LS,RS,LB,RB ordering scheme.

most of the others are for all speakers
Disable the Panner, and signals are sent equally to all channels in the fixed channel configuration.

Note: even the LFE channel will receive signal.

For more control over send levels within the fixed channel configuration, enable Divergence and enable 2D.

This method ensures that no signal is sent to the LFE, and you can use the Boom section of the Panner to dial in a separate LFE send level as required (or none at all).

This configuration has never been required here, so would be interested if you could share the workflow and intended purpose of sending all signals to all channels.
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio Premium VAD ⟧
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.5 (23F79) ⟧

DaveWilliams

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 12:35 am

DaveWilliams wrote:I have 11 tracks of audio. Only one track has panning from front to back.

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Several tracks are for the sub woofer
Are these signals exclusively for the LFE?

Yes - ONLY for the subwoofer channel.

Reynaud Venter wrote:This configuration has never been required here, so would be interested if you could share the workflow and intended purpose of sending all signals to all channels.

This is for a ridefilm is a very enclosed space. Subwoofers are underneath seats. Many of the sounds need to be heard all over the cabin - and many sounds only come from the center and LF and RF speakers.

Thanks for the information - I will give this a try!

Return to DaVinci Resolve