No Audio Playback in Resolve 14

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jacob Mast

No Audio Playback in Resolve 14

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 pm

This used to work, but all of a sudden I started getting no audio at all. I realized that was because I changed the audio to 64bit, so I changed it back to 16bit, but nothing happened. I reinstalled fresh, but that still didn't fix it.
I still have this:

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Audio Playback in Resolve 14

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 am

That appears to be a Resolve 12.5 screen shot.

Can you provide a Resolve 14 screenshot of the Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O settings?

Are you on Mac or Windows?

*And for sure you still need to set audio to 16 bits.*

I say you need to use 16 bits, because several people have commented that's fixed the issue for them.

But looking at my working Windows system, I see my Realtek High Definition audio device is set to 24 bit, 48000 Hz, and the audio works fine. So this maybe varies based on your Windows audio device.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jacob Mast

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Woops, I am running windows 10 on a custom PC. The only thing I can think of that changed from when this worked to when it didn't was the audio bitrate. Anyway, here's the photos:
This popped up on boot (it hadn't before):
And yes, this is resolve 14

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 9:22 pm

The Red Decoder popup is a don't care.

Can you please try the current Resolve 14.2 version?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Justin Doyle

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am

I am having this same issue. I have searched for a fix for hours now. Finally giving in to this post.

My audio preferences are just like the snip above both have defaulted to none. System audio greyed out and unchecked

I have a realtek audio as playback set to 16 bit.

I am using 14.2 windows 10

Augustinas Media

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 pm

This is what worked for me.

Go to project settings->capture and playback->playout. In the "output" dropdown select video only. Save and try to play. Then went back to the "output" dropdown, selected audio only and "magically" audio and video was present again. Opened new/other project, did not press any save changes to my "fixing" project and audio works properly again while the playout setting resets it self to video and audio.

Ok, so this problem came about after I went to preference->User->Keyboard mapping and tweaked some shortcuts for a few times. In some other threads and forums it was the case after changing setting in preference as well.

So basically no audio indications were present in the project that I edited for some time in Resolve. Video was playing, metadata was seeing audio per se, but there was no sound coming out nor volume meter indication.

No settings tweaking worked suggested in the forums and yes, the audio was not muted.

Hope this helps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve