Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition Support.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Goyette

Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition Support.

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 am

I have just upgrade this Mac Pro late 2009 with a Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Pro Edition graphic card to replace my Ati Radeon 5870 card.Card look fantastic with FCP X but is the DaVinci Resolve lite 9.1.3 Compatible.

If not compatible will Blackmagic Design update Davinci Resolve Lite for it because there is no CUDA with this card and i dont know what is the impact of the CUDA Drivres Update on my system , no NVidia here.
PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE - CORPORATE VIDEO IN MONTREAL.
DISTRIBUTION OFFERTE : DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB / SSD / HDD.
http://www.productiondgoyette.com

Daniel Goyette

Re: Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition Support.

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Is it possible to remove the warning message no maximum performance with this configuration at start-up of DaVinci resolve Lite 9.1.3 ..... i know it is not needed to tell me at each launch please.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 am

You will get a warning message for any graphics card that is not considered to be a "supported" card. Is the HD7950 working other than the warning message? What OSX version are you using?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Daniel Goyette

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 am

Yes the card is working and Apple got the drivers inside Mac OS X 10.8.3 so not even drivers install needed.
I mostly search if you can support this card since Apple got native support for this exellent graphic card.
If it was possible to remove this message please tell me or ask for an update before DaVinci Resolve 10.
I cant tell you much more i am in the Apple Developer Program Under NDA , Mac OS X 10.8.4 or 10.8.3.
Great NAB 2013 , Hope you can find a support for Single Graphics Cards user on the Mac Pro in 2013.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Assuming the HD7000 series cards become supported cards in V10, that message will no longer appear.

There is no way in current code to suppress that message.

If you had a chance to run the Standard Candle 9 tests, I'm sure people here would be interested to see what sort of performance you get with Resolve using this card.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Daniel Goyette

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 am

Since my NLE is base on FCP X , Motion 5 , Compressor 4 and use Open CL Graphic Cards , i think the Sapphire HD 7950 is the best option for me small independant videographer not wanting a two graphic cards system i mostly work XDCAM MPEG HD 4:2:2 and use Prores 4:2:2.
I can only hope DaVinci Resolve will support that type of modest set-up for basic level videographer type.
Apple support the card with native drivers so if you can support this card with version 9 great,10 better.
I am not in the race for the best optimal Color Correction just a modest system to do the correction (Slow).

Luxwhite

PostSun Jul 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi,

Im thinking to upgrade my Mac Pro late 2009 with a Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Pro Edition graphic card.. Could you please tell me what sort of performance you get with Resolve using this card?

Do I need an nvidia gt 120 for the Gui? or I only need the 7950 for Gui and Gpu?

thanks,

Return to DaVinci Resolve