VHS Video - Noise reduction

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ariana Garr

VHS Video - Noise reduction

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi,

after a lot of years I have to capture some VHS videos.

In the past (With Windows and Media Studio) I captured the video 2 times and added both captured files to the timeline to reducing the random noises. Thats worked very well.

But with DaVinci I cannot find such kind of function.
I think I need some help. ;)

And the 2nd part I cannot find: How can I remove the first and last lines of the captured video?

Dan Sherman

Re: VHS Video - Noise reduction

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm

If you don't mind giving ffmpeg or handbrake a go you can try this really powerful filter.

http://www.dirk-farin.net/projects/nlmeans/index.html
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jean Claude

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Without more precision from you (OS / spec hardware?)

Davinci Resolve expects compatible formats and codecs:
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... c_List.pdf

For noise reduction:
The Studio version has a good denoiser
In Free version: you have Neat Video

Another solution: to make the Denoise outside Davinci Resolve but it will still be that the format and codec is compatible and then do your editing in Resolve.

Good luck.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Ariana Garr

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I will go a bit more in detail:
Capturing happen on an very old PC with an AV Master Capturing Card. Really old hardware, but it has an integrated TBC and the quality is better than the most other capture hardware <1000€ when I'm using my JVC SVHS player. DaVinci can handle the MJPG File on my Mac. Thats not the point.
But there are three different types of issues with the video files:
a) Bad quality of the VHS tapes and as the result lot of noises and color jumping
b) In some special cases blocking because of the bandwidth from the capture card when the noise is too high and the MJPG compression is not working perfectly.
c) General "random" noise.

What I did (long time ago as I captured some video last time):
I'm using Mediastudio on a PC.
Issue a) I reduced with the denoising plugin from Alparysoft -> Now I need an alternative for that. I think I have to play a bit with the temporal NR.
Issue b) I fixed with the deblocker from ffmpeg before I did the final conversation. That one should still work.
Issue c) I captured the video 2 or 3 times and within the Mediastudio I can use all 2 or 3 files for the "mean value" function. This reduces the random noise very well and it's a very good base for fixing the other issues. -> Thats the main point because I cannot find any similar functions in DaVince.

@Dan Sherman:
NLMeans could be an alternative for a). Don't had it in mind so far.

@Jean Claude:
I hope I answered your questions.
Neat Video is too expensive for just a couple of files.

Ariana Garr

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Really nobody an idea?

Cary Knoop

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Second on the KNLMeans for (patterned) noise.

But apart from doing a really good deinterlacing with frame doubling (for instance QTGMC) and getting the levels right I would not do anything else.

Noise reduction works well on a good source but on a VHS source it will likely only smudge away the little resolution that is there in the first place. If anything I would actually add grain on a resampled image to increase the perceptual resolution.

PeterMoretti

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Ariana Garr wrote:...
Issue c) I captured the video 2 or 3 times and within the Mediastudio I can use all 2 or 3 files for the "mean value" function. This reduces the random noise very well and it's a very good base for fixing the other issues. -> Thats the main point because I cannot find any similar functions in DaVince.

Ariana, have you tried using the opacity setting and some of the different composite modes in Resolve?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to DaVinci Resolve