Upgrade from 12.5 to 14 -- So Many Problems

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JakeHeld

Upgrade from 12.5 to 14 -- So Many Problems

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey All,

Hoping to get some help here. I just upgraded Resolve from 12.5 to 14.3.0.014 and boy do I regret it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
System Specs and Info:

Version: 14.3.0.014
Storage: SSD (local) and HDD NAS
CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 16GB
GPU: AMD Radeon 5830 -- (yes, I know I need an upgrade lol)
Audio: BOSE On-Ear Headphone with USB Bluetooth

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my update I can see and open my old projects. But when I open them, I can see the media pool and files, right-click and open in folder location, etc...but Resolve will not allow me to preview/view them at all within the program and often ends up crashing if I hit play or anything else for that matter.

Additionally, my audio goes wack. The noise cancelling effects fail in the headset and everything has a hiss/background noise to it. When Resolve closes, or crashes, audio returns to normal.

I have all the recent Windows Updates, rebooted my system many times, ensured the Media Storage paths in Preferences is correct and can navigate the files, etc. Still cannot get Resolve to work any more.

Any ideas or help is appreciated, otherwise I will uninstall and reinstall Resolve 12.5...which worked!

Thanks!

Byron Dickens

Re: Upgrade from 12.5 to 14 -- So Many Problems

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 am

Windows 7 is not supported.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

JakeHeld

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Support or Compatible...very different terms. Resolve 12.5.x worked fine!

Thomas Dove

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Windows 7 is not supported

I understand that to be the case, but I think that is an extraordinarily bad decision by BMD :o . I thought BMD were trying to make Resolve popular? (Even more surprising, considering that BMD supports multiple versions of Linux, which is far more variable and less controlled/defined than at least Win 7 64-bit Prof.)
Even now, 2.5 years after launch and taking into account that all new PCs have Win 10 and older PCs running Win 7 will have stopped being used (particularly laptops), Win 10 is only just passing Win 7 in usage.

BUT in my experience in the post world, the large majority of folks are still with Win 7 (normally 64-bit Prof), our post house included. We have tons of legacy apps that run on Win 7 that won't run on Win 10 (some could be upgraded at significant expense, some not) and we aren't going to have duplicate PCs just for Resolve.
We have been trying one copy Resolve of Studio 12.5 and last few months 14 with a view to switching over wholesale but the 'Win 10 only' requirement is a show stopper for us. (We were planning to switch to Fusion also.)

Just have to stick with Adobe after all !

(Unlikely, but maybe if enough of us badger BMD they might consider supporting at least Win 7 64-bit Prof, which everyone seems to be using.)
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

John Paines

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

From what's been said here by BMD staff, it doesn't look like there will ever be renewed support for Win7. The kicker is, BMD's own video desktop package supports Win7 and it has to because all the third-party post-production software developers which support Decklink cards still officially support Win7. But the decision was made, you live with it....

However, the OP's problems are of unknown origin, since 14.3 runs just dandy under Win7, with a few operational limitations pertaining to H.264 and AC3. In his case, I would look at video and audio drivers, as well as the AMD card itself.

Byron Dickens

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm

I am aware of (and even use some) brand new apps that run just fine on Win 7 as well as 10 year old software that runs fine on Win 10. And some that doesn't.

When they say "not supported, " that generally means all bets are off and you roll the dice.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Return to DaVinci Resolve