Can't Open Projects, Only get a white screen....

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Iamgoat100

Can't Open Projects, Only get a white screen....

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 am

I just downloaded and installed resolve 14.3. The initial set up said windows 10 was all good and my graphics card was good. It prompted me to create a new project so I did. When the project opens all I get is a white screen. I can see the project title in the upper left corner but that is it. I restarted my PC and the program and when I go to open or create a new project I still get the same white screen. How can I resolve this issue?

Here is my setup.

Windows 10
8th Gen Intel Core i7
12GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeoForce 940MX

steelbonelex

Re: Can't Open Projects, Only get a white screen....

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

I have the same problem with resolve 14.3 installed today after having some crashing problems with a version 14.0. There have been some Win 10 updates after successful project runs with the version 14.0 so it might be a bit challenging to catch the actual problem. I have re-installed both 14.0 and 14.3 separately with re-boots. No luck so far. Both versions find my existing projects but opening any of them will crash them both at the moment. Sorry I can't say how many Win 10 updates have been installed after successful runs with resolve 14.0 due to travelling and other stuff keeping me out of resolve usage.

As above with version 14.3 also starting a new project or opening any existing project will end up with a white screen. The problem with the version 14.0 was that opening an existing project and editing it was just fine but selecting any other options for example color grading or fairlight the program will crash.

Setup (ASUS G11DF):

Win 10
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
DDR4 16G
NVIDIA GTX 1080
SSD 256 (M.2)
HDD 1TB

Iamgoat100

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm

Resolve isn't actually crashing for me, it's just giving me a white screen. I can see the title of the project in the upper left corner and the program continues running. I can even click on the tabs up top (that I can't even see because the screen is white) and the drop down menus roll down but I can't see anything else. I've tried everything I can think of.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 am

i'm not familiar with that GPU to know if its good enough for Resolve but try this; with Resolve running, go to preferences, system and in the hardware tab select OpenCL for the image processing.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

onekanoobie

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 2:43 am

This is very similar to the issue I am experiencing. With Resolve 14.3 I get the white screen after I try to open any media. It seems to happen as soon as any media is added or previewed. i dont have any existing projects on this PC but it sounds very similar.

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with a Vega 64 GPU. Everything else runs great. I am only have trouble with Resolve.

Iamgoat100

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm pretty sure the GPU has Cuda 5.0 computing capability. At least the 940M does and the 940MX is the newer version so I would hope it has at least the same. I tried OpenCL before and it still gave me that white screen. When I ran the setup after install it said my GPU was good. I updated to the latest Nvidia driver from their site as well. It's a really odd issue. Resolve opens up fast and takes me to the project screen but then always goes to that white screen when opening or creating a new project.

Iamgoat100

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 pm

A user in another thread found a fix to this issue. I have to go into device manager under display adapters and turn off the Intel Graphics card for Resolve to display properly. After that it runs perfectly. It's a weird issue because in the hardware settings in Resolve it always showed using my Nvidia card. I guess something isn't communicating properly.

XBrigitte

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Iamgoat100 wrote:A user in another thread found a fix to this issue. I have to go into device manager under display adapters and turn off the Intel Graphics card for Resolve to display properly. After that it runs perfectly. It's a weird issue because in the hardware settings in Resolve it always showed using my Nvidia card. I guess something isn't communicating properly.

Hi there, I'm a pretty new user to this program and did a bit leaning on the free version 14. Recently I've got the version 15 and this was working fine till today after a system update (Win10) I always get a white screen when I want to open a project but when I disable the Intel graphics card in the device manager Resolve is working fine. Is there any other solution possible?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 5:23 am

Hi there, I'm a pretty new user to this program and did a bit leaning on the free version 14. Recently I've got the version 15 and this was working fine till today after a system update (Win10) I always get a white screen when I want to open a project but when I disable the Intel graphics card in the device manager Resolve is working fine. Is there any other solution possible?

Its likely your intel graphics card is not suitable so what graphics card do you have that is working?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

XBrigitte

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

It's an Acer Predator G9-792 Notebook with Intel HD Graphics 530 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 970.
Haven't tried what effects the disabled Intel card on other programs has, Vegas Pro 15 works okay so far.
Not such a big problem to enable/disable the card in the system manager, just uncomfortable.

(Meant in my previous post "learning" not "leaning")

XBrigitte

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Hello again,
the white screen was just depending on the Intel graphics driver, have installed the newest and now everything is working fine.
Regards,
Brigitte

FramlingMedia

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:58 am

I'm getting a similar problem with the last three versions of Resolve. I was previously running Resolve 15 fine, but then the last few updates including the latest to Resolve 16 hadn't improved the issue. I can start up Resolve, but when I open an existing project the screen goes black. When I click again it turns white and gives the same error message as everyone here is reporting.

System Setup:
Windows 10 with latest update
ASUS HERO X wifi
Intel i7-8700
32 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 1070Ti 16GB
Dual Monitors; Del u2718Q, u2715H

I tried another fix on another thread where you open the NVIDA Control Panel to manage 3D setting. I can't find DaVinci Resolve in the list of programs. Could that be the issue?

Plane_Shifter

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm

This fix will help for dual monitors setups: Unplug one of the monitors and load your project.

I started having the white screen problem when I enabled the Dual Screen workspace. For some reason it just wouldn't load my projects anymore. Just disable Dual Screen before quitting. Or never turn it on again...

Recconnect

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am

This fix will help for dual monitors setups: Unplug one of the monitors and load your project.

Thank you! This fixed my issue! You are genius! :o :o :o

Return to DaVinci Resolve