Sony A7R mk.3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pedro Dias

Sony A7R mk.3

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 am

Hi, I'm considering a jump to this little camera, and have a couple of questions:

1) A different Sony camera that I have (GW55) does not import sound in Resolve. I have to convert the video using ffmpeg - this is slightly annoying and I am hoping that there are no such issues with the A7R video files. Can someone confirm?

2) If anyone is shooting with this camera, could you tell me about the log options / flat profile recommended for shooting 1) 4k content, and 2) high framerate (120fps) footage?

In advance, thanks!
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Dolce Videos

Re: Sony A7R mk.3

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Pedro!

1) I work with Sony A7S2 and I have no problem with audio. (but there was the mentioned problem back in ver. 12.5)

2) I think it depends on your skills in CC and grading. I prefer Slog3 for my event shootings. It gives me scope to correct the exposure and WB problems. Also it gives that wide dynamic range that looks like film. But sometimes when you shoot in controled environment it is better to use Rec.709 to have more tones. Just make the appropriate stage lighting around 6 stops of DR.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Files from A7R should work in Resolve, but you need very fast machine for 4K (good to have Studio license and current Nvidia GPU for hardware decoding).

Point 2- google is your friend.
You have LOG options, but if you don't know how to use them better to stick to Cine4 profile.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro Dias

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 am

Dolce Videos wrote:Hi Pedro!

1) I work with Sony A7S2 and I have no problem with audio. (but there was the mentioned problem back in ver. 12.5)

2) I think it depends on your skills in CC and grading. I prefer Slog3 for my event shootings. It gives me scope to correct the exposure and WB problems. Also it gives that wide dynamic range that looks like film. But sometimes when you shoot in controled environment it is better to use Rec.709 to have more tones. Just make the appropriate stage lighting around 6 stops of DR.

Thanks, Dolce, that's great news.

I've read some recommendations of over-exposing by as much as 2 stops when shooting in SLog3 to avoid noisy shadows, is that what you're doing? Will check the DR on my lights, thanks for that tip as well. Sounds like I should just pick up the camera then :)

_________
Pedro Dias
-Theodore Roosevelt

Pedro Dias

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Files from A7R should work in Resolve, but you need very fast machine for 4K (good to have Studio license and current Nvidia GPU for hardware decoding).

Point 2- google I your friend.
You LOG options, but if you don't know how to use them better to stick to Cine4 profile.

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. My desktop is ok with 4K footage so far, but I've only dealt with DJI Mavic Pro, which I believe has a narrower bandwidth than what the A7R does. It'll be interesting to see. I'm running on a Core i7-7820x with 65GB of RAM clocked to near 3000Mhz. GPU is a 1080, considering another one for SLI, but so far haven't seen the need for it, as I do few effects. During renders, it's mostly CPU that is my bottleneck. SSDs are all Intel SSD6 M.2's with fast read/writes.

For your point 2 - I have a different opinion on your JFGI tip. Forums are meant for raising questions like this. I searched the forum first, didn't find anything useful, so I posted my question, keeping it relevant to the DaVinci forum.

For your condescending tip on sticking to Cine4 profile, I'm not going to comment more than to say that I know there are issues with SLog-3 on the A7R, and was hoping to get some feedback on what others are shooting with.

_________
Pedro Dias
-Theodore Roosevelt

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:36 am

Shooting Log is more difficult and on those Sony cameras. It can cause more problems than good things at the end (specially If you "on the go" and have no time for tests).

Dolce Videos

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Pedro Dias wrote:
Dolce Videos wrote:Hi Pedro!

Thanks, Dolce, that's great news.

I've read some recommendations of over-exposing by as much as 2 stops when shooting in SLog3 to avoid noisy shadows, is that what you're doing? Will check the DR on my lights, thanks for that tip as well. Sounds like I should just pick up the camera then :)

Yes, that's right! I use it mostly when shooting people, especially usefull in low light conditions. But if U need the whole DR possible, for example, when shooting landscapes, it is better to expose properly. I think you just have to try to work with SLog and you wouldn't go back to cine4 (but test it to understand clearly before commercial job :D)

Return to DaVinci Resolve