Audio wavelengths not showing in timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

delmarman888

Audio wavelengths not showing in timeline?

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Hey all,

I've been editing with Resolve for about a year now and haven't run into any issues, but this one that I have here is really bothering me and I can't find a way to fix it.

I'm using version 12.5.0.052 of DaVinci Resolve. I recently started a new project, and when I added an audio clip to the timeline, the audio wave lengths aren't being displayed and I can't adjust the audio by dragging the line up and down like I normally can. It's strange because I started an earlier project a few weeks ago and this problem didn't occur, but now that I made a new one I can't see the wavelengths.

Here's some photo examples of what I'm talking about.

Timeline from the earlier project I mentioned with functioning wavelengths and a line that can be dragged to raise or lower sound volume:
https://imgur.com/a/MVxPz

Timeline from the project I am working on now, with no audio wavelengths being shown and no way to adjust it without opening the clip inspector:
https://imgur.com/a/wGlTe

I've tried looking through menus and creating new projects but nothing is working. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Can anyone help?

Charles Bennett

Re: Audio wavelengths not showing in timeline?

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 am

You mean waveforms not wavelengths. If you click on the one in the new session and click on the metadata tab, what does it tell you about the audio? Also, can you hear the audio even if it is not shown?
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

delmarman888

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 am

Charles Bennett wrote:You mean waveforms not wavelengths. If you click on the one in the new session and click on the metadata tab, what does it tell you about the audio? Also, can you hear the audio even if it is not shown?

Ah yes, my bad. I'm not always perfect with this terminology.

Sorry for the late response, I was in a class. The audio plays just fine, and I'm a bit embarrassed but I found the solution.

I had audio waveforms turned off in the Timeline View Options Menu. I was about to check on the metadata, but before I did that I clicked on that tab, and noticed that the audio waveforms were turned off. I turned it back on and my problem was solved.

I really appreciate your help and I'm sorry to have wasted your time!

Charles Bennett

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 am

Glad you found the solution. Happy to try and help. If I can answer a question or point people in the right direction, it's never a waste of time. :)
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve