Painless install on Linux Centos 7

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thomas Dove

Re: Painless install on Linux Centos 7

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 am

Dwaine,

Thanks for all the tips and help; all is working fine now.

Regards
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Peter Benson

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Wow. Although I have often expressed the desire to migrate away from Windows platform and get onboard with a Linux based installation of Resolve, let me be candid: Be er having tried a Linux OS installation, ever -- and despite past experience with Amiga computers decades ago, I feel quite intimidated after reading posts on related to "Painless Install" (sic) on Linux CentOS.

After 3 years hanging with Resolve, I get the sense that despite the fact it is the year 2020, Resolve is still tightly designed for an aged Linux variant, and thereby creates a daunting prospect for Newbies, desiring to set up a Resolve computer system, even on CentOS.

Anybody got any encouraging suggestions for where to start?
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Thomas Dove

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

Peter,

Despite my recent pain I am going to still stick with Resolve on Linux, with five vital lessons I have learned. If you are a newbie (like me) my advice is:
1) use the bundled Centos + Resolve ISO from BMD [which also has the Nvidia drivers]
2) never update Centos nor the many parts to it
3) never update the nvidia drivers (or think very carefully/know what you are doing beforehand)
4) do frequent [at least daily] backups of the Resolve diskdb database
5) do backups of the Downloads, Desktop and any other folder you have added stuff into.

Of course you will have an old version of Centos: but for me this doesn't matter - the machine is dedicated to video editing, and even the network connection is usually off so 'old' doesn't matter.
It all works reliably, is fast etc. why does it matter that the version of Centos is old?

Sure, add things like FFPMEG and other software but don't update or mess with Centos in any way [apart from Grub to do a dual boot option with Windows if you need that **], nor with the nvidia drivers [unless you are having issues].

So, my experience is that if you use 1) it is painless. BUT BUT if you do 2) or 3) and you are a newbie then the installation breaks and you have to re-install.
HOWEVER, if you have done 4) and 5) then it can all be recovered quite quickly - fortunately I had done this so it was no problem re-installing from scratch and getting everything functioning correctly again.

** if you want to know how to do a dual boot Centos/Windows look at:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dua ... tos-7.html
This goes step by step Windows then Centos install. If you look 3/4 way down the page 'Fix GRUB2' it tells you how to make the system dual boot - all straightforward.

Hope this helps

Tom
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve