Painless install on Linux Centos 7

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

terahz

Re: Painless install on Linux Centos 7

PostThu May 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Pixelslayer wrote:
denydz wrote:Yeah, the free version has it's limitations.
But once you manage to install on linux, you will have more power available just for DR than on windows ;)

Thanks for the thought, but could you expand on that? I know Resolve is supposed to use the GPU for some functions, but I've heard varying claims on what exactly the free version can use the GPU for and how much acceleration I can expect. And what does the Linux version leverage better than the Windows or Mac versions?

If I'm not mistaken, the free version has no limitations as far as GPU acceleration except for Deliver - where you export your final file. 264/265 is not supported in the free version on Linux, and encoding is only supported in Studio if you have nVidia GPU. This means, with AMD GPU, you will have to export to something like DNxHD (which will be OpenCL accelerated) and then use ffmpeg (x264) to make your final 264 encode - which will likely be better final result anyway.

AAC (phones, gopros etc) is also not supported on linux at all.

I don't think it is true to state that you will get faster Linux performance in Resolve. Puget Systems' DR14 tests show that they are pretty much on par, overall (I'm not allowed to post urls, but you can easily google it)
As a reference, I use Resolve Studio on CentOS 7 with AMD GPU (Radeon VII).

Seth Goldin

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 1:50 am

Are you all having trouble with ELRepo’s package for `kmod-NVIDIA.x86_64`, which is for 430.14?

Running into some sort of weird issue, in which because Xorg is 1.20, the package referencing 1.19 somehow doesn’t work.

Can’t start `gdm` at boot. Any help would be appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm

MikeRochefort wrote:I don’t have an AMD card ...

I do, and have had no luck at all getting it to work on Linux. Oil and Water.

Mac/AMD
Linux/nVidia
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Peter Benson

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 5:38 pm

drpeppercan wrote:Request from a newbie both for Linux and DS:
Could someone confirm which way would be the smoothest way to install DS in CentOS, the way this thread initially instructs, or using the CentOS with DS DVD?
If the latter, where can I find the ISO then?
And lastly, is there a "COMPLETE & NEWBIES-PROOF" User Guide to use it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

DPC
Bump!?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:whether it would or would not make sense to replace Windows 10 with CentOS linux.

The short answer is yes. If you've been around that long, you can't help realize Unix/Linux/Irix/Xenix/etc. has also been around a long time and unlike some of us will be around for a long time to come.

This is not due to expensive marketing. It is because it is far and away the most elegant OS thus far invented by human beings.

And it's not just elegant, it is lean, mean, open, stable, and powerful all at the same time. And by the way, it is also free! Not just fee from cost, but free from others deciding when you will upgrade and what you will have to agree to in order to do that. You can actually own your computer. And if you like, you can also browse the source code, along with millions of others, to see that everything you do is not being recorded.

In the broader sense you are part of a community. One that is not driven entirely by money.

So by all means, do it. Get your feet wet with CentOS, and then try a more up to date version with a huge selection of pre-compiled binary applications like Ubuntu.

Fair winds, and following seas.
Admit One Pictures

Seth Goldin

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Peter Benson wrote:
drpeppercan wrote:Request from a newbie both for Linux and DS:
Could someone confirm which way would be the smoothest way to install DS in CentOS, the way this thread initially instructs, or using the CentOS with DS DVD?
If the latter, where can I find the ISO then?
And lastly, is there a "COMPLETE & NEWBIES-PROOF" User Guide to use it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

DPC
Bump!?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Here are my most up-to-date notes on installing on preparing CentOS 7.6 for Resolve from scratch: https://sethgoldin.github.io/install-da ... ve-centos/

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 pm

I just assembled a new Ryzen threadripper / X399 / nVidia system, installed Ubuntu 19.04, nVidia 430 drivers and OpenCL.

I then clicked on the Resolve 16b5 .run file, followed the prompts, and voila!

I'm not sure how it could have been less painful.
Admit One Pictures

Richard O'Callaghan

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:08 am

the install was indeed painless. HOWEVER I discovered that CentOS needed updating to the tune of 900+ updates . Following installation and a restart i discover that the Nvidia drivers have been removed .. what can I do about that ?

[ there are other possible complications following these updates which I have yet to discover ]

Seth Goldin

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 am

Just use ELRepo for kmod-nvidia and make sure to also install the ELRepo yum plugin.

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Richard O'Callaghan wrote:HOWEVER I discovered that CentOS ...

This is the problem I have with CentOS. Things that require nothing more than an apt-get in Ubuntu, end up being a painful project in CentOS. Nvidia drivers are one example, but there are at least an order of magnitude more up to date applications readily available for a simple install on Ubuntu.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Marc Gasser

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 7:56 am

Did you try Fusion16 standalone with Ubuntu/Debian?

I have massive performance losings when testing against Fusion9.
And Fusion inside Resolve 16 is pretty unstable.

I think it's GPU related, of course support will not help, since they stick to their CentOS....
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Marc Gasser wrote:Did you try Fusion16 standalone with Ubuntu/Debian?

Fusion releases have worked for me on Ubuntu 18.04/19.04/CentOS on a Lenovo Y500 laptop and nothing else. Four other more powerful machines, including under CentOS, die a system trap death.

I would love to use Fusion, but it's no where near there yet, at least on Linux.
Admit One Pictures

Marc Gasser

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

@Noel Sterrett:

Thanks for the replay.
I am having hard times with Fusion16 on Ubuntu 18.04
It does not recognize my graphics car, the Fusion Console Output on top left says:

Code: Select all
FusionCore library not found
Warning: No usable GPU devices found.

and so rendering is very slow, still sticking to Fusion9 :-(

See also here: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =19&t=3272
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am

Is there anything we should be aware of... with Centos 8.0 being released next week?
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Seth Goldin

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Is there anything we should be aware of... with Centos 8.0 being released next week?

I’m going to try to play around with it, but I wouldn’t expect it to work out of the box until BMD ships a version developed on 8. Do not attempt for production machines!

Seth Goldin

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Testing out CentOS 7.7 and everything seems great so far!

I upgraded 7.6 to 7.7 via:
$ sudo yum upgrade

Everything seemed to go OK, but I did see this error message:
Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
File: /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.2a8/source/dkms.conf does not exist.

Because of the delay in getting a working Desktop Video available for CentOS 7.6, I expected that Desktop Video and/or DKMS is where'd I have a problem, if any.

However, I fired up Resolve, and the DeckLink sent video out just fine. The Desktop Video GUI app works fine, too.

So, as far as I can tell, I have Resolve 16 working perfectly on CentOS 7.7. This is for:
  • DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.0.0.060
  • CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)
  • kernel 3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64
  • NVIDIA driver 430.50 packaged from the ELRepo repository: 430.50-1.el7_7.elrepo
  • HP Z8 G4
  • 1x Intel® Xeon® Gold 6136
  • 48 GB (6x8 GB) DDR4-2666 ECC Registered RAM
  • 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

I also fired up a timeline of some pretty typical footage I use and I rendered it to a couple of common deliverable formats, just to make sure nothing was weird. It could be my imagination, but perhaps the render speeds are even increased a bit?

This feels good enough for me. I'll be putting 7.7 into production on my other Z8s shortly.

Dante Stiller

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 12:18 pm

until BMD ships a version developed on 8.

Is there any rule of thumb on how long it usually takes BMD to release a compatible version after a major CentOS update? CentOS 8 is announced for Sept. 24. Three days from now.
Resolve Studio 18, Windows 10 pro, GTX3090, intel i5 13600K, BM Decklink 4K

Noel Sterrett

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Ubuntu 19.10 is scheduled to be released in October. It does NOT support 32 bit. Anyone know if that causes a problem for Resolve?
Admit One Pictures

BobDoLe

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 3:30 am

I switched from Fedora to CentOS because I couldn't get Resolve 16 to ever load for some reason. It ran great on CentOS7, but CentOS7 made me feel like I traveled back in time with all the old software versions.
I got a developers subscription (free) and threw on RHEL8 and couldn't be happier.

Seth Goldin

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Can we keep this thread on-topic, just for CentOS 7?

Martin Schitter

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:Can we keep this thread on-topic, just for CentOS 7?

sure -- because BMD support will spare no pains to torture even the last one of us to become a convinced time traveler... ;)

jwamshop

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:30 pm

But I guess a microphone will not work?
BMD refuses to comment this specific issue for some reason.

linuxfreak

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 4:58 pm

BobDoLe wrote:I switched from Fedora to CentOS because I couldn't get Resolve 16 to ever load for some reason. It ran great on CentOS7, but CentOS7 made me feel like I traveled back in time with all the old software versions.
I got a developers subscription (free) and threw on RHEL8 and couldn't be happier.

It works fine here on F29, Notebook with Nvidia Quadro M1000M. First I had troubles getting 16 to run (15.3.1 was fine). Removing those:
mesa-libOpenCL
pocl
ocl-icd

And reinstalling:
dnf --setopt=install_weak_deps=False --best install ocl-icd

did fix the startup crash for me.

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:40 pm

BMD needs to support Ubuntu properly. That's the most popular Linux system for years now (and automatically, the also popular Mint/MX should work too). Google's internal version of Linux is based on ubuntu too. Red Hat (ie Centos) is mostly used on servers, so while it is an "industry" standard in many things, it's probably not the right focus for a video editing suite.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Perry Mitchell

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 am

You full time professionals can ignore this post!
As a hobby editor, I am building a dedicated Resolve machine from computer parts mostly bought from Ebay. I have an Intel mobo & Xeon processor with integrated graphics. I was keen to test these basics first since there were several used components involved. The BM linux install all went fine and proved my system good so far. Then I added a Nvidia gtx980 and it all went belly up!
To cut to the chase, I had to disable the integrated graphics and enable the GPU in the BIOS, and then reinstall linux whence it all came good. I am sure there would be ways to do this in the console but this old fart is limited to cutting and pasting linux commands!
I guess I am saying it is best to install linux with your finished hardware in place.
Next task is to add an SAS RAID controller card so I am hoping that is not going to upset things!
I also want to add a USB3 card reader so any recommendations with linux support would be appreciated. (The type that plugs into the mobo 20 pin usb3 header)
Thanks for your understanding!

Richard

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 2:15 am

I installed Centos for the singlular purpose of getting DaVinci Resolve working as it was really buggy on Ubuntu. I follow this but I'm just getting a white box appearing when I open DaVinci Resolve.

How do you install this thing?

Martin Schitter

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Richard wrote:... but I'm just getting a white box appearing when I open DaVinci Resolve.

i saw similar issues in the past, although it was pure black content in the window frame or player regions in may case, but i could usually work around this defects by just resizing the affected windows. this triggers a redraw event and all the effected image content immediately appeared.

i guess, the technical reasons for this behavior are most likely caused by some obscure incompatibilities of different OpenGL implementations, x11 stuff, the utilized [very old] Qt libraries or display driver peculiarities, but i never could isolate or resolve this issue in a reliable manner.

roger.magnusson

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm

When I had the same issue (white box) it was because I hadn't installed OpenCL. That was on Ubuntu Studio though.

Marc Gasser

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 am

With all respect,
it should not matter which Linux distro you have installed,
support will not help you when you are on Debian is just embarrassing.
(and banning Ubuntu people from this thread is......., why don't you stick another thread just below this one: "Painfull install on Ubuntu Linux LTS").

Other softwares like Blender, Kdenlive etc. work on all operating systems and all distros,
if you have good coders it is possible to write good and reliable code.
They might even charge more than 299.-- if they bring out a stable version, I would pay it (would love to see Fusion Studio 10, just with bugs fixed from v9 and RTX, Optix support for faster preview/rendering).

Besides, usually we fix bugs in every release and get more render speed, BMD makes it vice versa.
If there would be an alternative, I would switch today.

:oops:

Richard O'Callaghan

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 10:25 am

may have missed this issue but I still don't know the answer !!

Having installed resolve on Centos via the BM iso successfully I find that I am encouraged to update CentOS which I do but that means that Resolve doesn't open ?

How can this be sorted ??

rhysday

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 pm

I got it working in Centos8 but it wasn't painless and the instructions posted here were not 100% proper. Had to alter a few things. Also there were still issues within the software I was hoping would be working in Centos. But no dice so I am back in Debian.

Davinci detects and uses my CUDA drivers but not standalone Fusion 16.1.1 Build 18 ...Tried both stable and testing versions of Debian. And running the latest and greatest NVIDIA drivers.

Seth Goldin

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 12:04 am

rhysday wrote:I got it working in Centos8 but it wasn't painless and the instructions posted here were not 100% proper. Had to alter a few things. Also there were still issues within the software I was hoping would be working in Centos. But no dice so I am back in Debian.

Davinci detects and uses my CUDA drivers but not standalone Fusion 16.1.1 Build 18 ...Tried both stable and testing versions of Debian. And running the latest and greatest NVIDIA drivers.

This thread is for 7 but I have instructions for 8 here: https://sethgoldin.github.io/install-da ... ve-centos/

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 am

Just to chime in, tried installing Resolve 16.2 on Centos 7.6 today from .run installer and it installed and is running (so far) without any errors. AMD 3960X and 2080Ti, nvidia driver version 440.59. I had previously instlalled all kinds of developer libs so probably managed to fulfill all the necessary dependencies.
I do stuff.

Brian Karr

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Installing Studio 16.2 on a fresh install of CentOS 7.3 using the BM provided ISO. Installed NVIDIA x86_64-430.40.

Resolve crashes on start-up after splash screen each time. I have attached logs. Suspect might be a NVIDIA driver issue but would appreciate some help from more experienced before proceeding with newer drivers.

Thank you,
Brian
Attachments
log_archive_2020-04-22_195610.tgz
(38.3 KiB) Downloaded 2835 times
CentOS 7.3.1611
Intel Xeon 16 Core CPU E5-2697 @ 2.6GHz
Memory 62.8GB
Dual Monitors - Quadro K4200 GPU 4GB
Dual GPU's - 2 x GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB
NVIDIA x86_64_430.40
/root 54G /swap 34GB /home 417GB /media 18TB

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 1:44 am

Brian, please detail your hardware setup too.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Brian Karr

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 12:58 pm

I tried 16.2.1 with same result. Specs:

CentOS 7.3.1611
Memory 62.8GB
NVIDIA x86_64_430.40
CentOS 7.3.1611
Memory 62.8GB
NVIDIA x86_64_430.40

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm away from a system - but I wanna check if both your displays are connected to a single graphics card.

Brian Karr

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 6:58 pm

Correct.
CentOS 7.3.1611
Memory 62.8GB
NVIDIA x86_64_430.40

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 9:27 am

Brian

Can you try installing 16.2.1?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Brian Karr

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Have done so with same result, crashes after splash screen.
CentOS 7.3.1611
Memory 62.8GB
NVIDIA x86_64_430.40

Seth Goldin

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Everything appears to be running well on CentOS 7.8.2003 for me, with NVIDIA 440.82 from ELRepo.

Michael Garrett

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:46 pm

I finally got around to installing CentOS 7.8 and Resolve 16 and everything appears to be working well, so thank you Seth!

I have an old Quadro so I'm good for 30-bit to my Dreamcolor, but I'd be interested to know if it's easy to get 30-bit from a newer Geforce card without totally messing up the Nvidia drivers.
The official instructions are very straightforward:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... pth30.html
Apparently since driver 364.12-r1 this now works whereas before, people were experiencing a lot of problems.

I'm on a Dell workstation and I'm getting the Thunderbolt 2 card to see if I can get it working on CentOS, although Dell says Linux is not supported. I notice CentOS has shiny OOB thunderbolt device support though, so I'm hopeful. My aim is to see if my existing Ultrastudio Mini Monitor will work rather than a Decklink PCIe card. I'll go back to the instructions to install Desktop Video.

Also just a general note on BMD supporting CentOS only. Personally, I'm fine with that because I work in VFX and CentOS is the VFX reference platform. I've been running Nuke on Unbuntu for a while and it's been okay, but when I get Foundry support although they do their best help, there are never any guarantees that their solution will work. So I'm fine with standardizing on CentOS.

And of course, there is no need to update the OS on a production machine. It gets locked down unless you really need to update something or install a specific package. When I worked at large vfx facilities the version of CentOS was ancient like you were working at a bank with a 90's OS, but things were very stable. At least on my current 7.8 installation I can use the built in dark theme and get a flat look!

Heikki Repo

PostSat May 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Michael Garrett wrote:Also just a general note on BMD supporting CentOS only. Personally, I'm fine with that because I work in VFX and CentOS is the VFX reference platform. I've been running Nuke on Unbuntu for a while and it's been okay, but when I get Foundry support although they do their best help, there are never any guarantees that their solution will work. So I'm fine with standardizing on CentOS.

And of course, there is no need to update the OS on a production machine. It gets locked down unless you really need to update something or install a specific package. When I worked at large vfx facilities the version of CentOS was ancient like you were working at a bank with a 90's OS, but things were very stable. At least on my current 7.8 installation I can use the built in dark theme and get a flat look!

But that's not the way it is done with MacOS and Windows, is it? I mean, if you are to use Adobe software on the same machine you'll have be connected to Internet. And as both Windows -- and soon MacOS as well -- push new versions of the OS on the computer automatically, no stasis is possible unless the machine is only meant to run this one and only software.

Such locked workstations might be the norm for larger VFX companies that separate different workstations (Resolve workstation, Adobe workstation, Nuke workstation...), but I'd guess that the majority of BMD's customers are no longer such companies. Instead, this is a software sold and advertised in general stores for general public, hobbyists and small businesses.

So the real question here is why should Linux be treated differently? I'm fine with having only one or preferably two distros supported officially (CentOS and Ubuntu), but locking the support to some old distro version is not a good move. Can you imagine BMD saying that they only support MacOS Sierra in year 2020? Because both Sierra and CentOS 7.3 were released in 2016. And even being locked in to 7.3 wouldn't be that bad if updating software didn't risk breaking Resolve. MacOS Sierra without any security updates in 2020?

BMD, please look into snaps / appimage / ... If hundreds of open source hobbyist projects are able to package their software that way and make it available to multiple distros / kernel versions, you can do it as well -- I have full confidence in your developers --- just give them the time and resources 8-)

Michael Garrett

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:43 am

But that's not the way it is done with MacOS and Windows, is it?

No, but I think Linux has to be treated separately. In my situation I look at deploying Linux in production environments and not as a replacement for Mac or Windows. I don't worry about the ongoing fight to make Linux a viable MacOS/Windows replacement for the typical user because I 've been using Linux in production since the 90's. But I understand that everyone has their own context of why they would want to use Resolve or Linux.

I applaud BMD for making Resolve Linux readily accessible outside of production environments as a sort of social experiment for those that are committed to running it. There are obviously a lot of caveats and restrictions in place to run it without requiring an expensive support contract - all in aid of having a fast, stable experience. Resolve on my crappy quad core CentOS test system with an old underpowered Quadro GPU is noticeably more responsive than on my 6 core MacBook Pro with a Vega 20. I'm migrating soon to a dual Xeon Workstation with a beefier GPU so I expect performance to be excellent.

Edit: In a facility, a typical Linux workstation would run multiple apps and be connected to the internet. Although in the past a Resolve workstation would have been a dedicated thing like flame, now it's viable to loosen that up a bit so you can run multiple apps that also require CentOS 7 like Nuke. I just do not do any auto updating and only update the OS when it fits in with the App developer system requirements.

BMD, please look into snaps / appimage /

I agree - maybe even consider a Docker Resolve/CentOS installation combo, but maybe there are performance issues there and it's better just for evaluation or light use.
Last edited by Michael Garrett on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heikki Repo

PostSun May 31, 2020 10:56 am

Michael Garrett wrote:In my situation I look at deploying Linux in production environments and not as a replacement for Mac or Windows. I don't worry about the ongoing fight to make Linux a viable MacOS/Windows replacement for the typical user because I 've been using Linux in production since the 90's. But I understand that everyone has their own context of why they would want to use Resolve or Linux.

I applaud BMD for making Resolve Linux readily accessible outside of production environments as a sort of social experiment for those that are committed to deploying it.

Yes, there are different contexts :) Though in a way I think the real fight already over - and Linux won. Gaming to a large extent is now possible on Linux, which certainly wasn't the case mid 2000. Programs such as Blender for 3D & composting and Ardour/Reaper/Bitwig for DAW are full fledged production software available for Linux. Lightworks for editing. Even Windows has its own Linux subsystem, you can install Ubuntu within Windows 10 :lol:

But yes, BMD is really to be applauded for releasing Resolve for general Linux users.

I myself run R16 on Ubuntu 18.04. It works great and installation was easy thanks to Daniel Tufvesson installation script. I'm certain there are many other home users of this software, as there have been even guides published how to use the script to install Resolve in deb based distros for a while: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/06/how-to-install-davinci-resolve-15-in.html

Thomas Dove

Broken Centos 7 after nvidia update

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I was using nvidia drivers which I thought were quite old (version 350 IIRC) and I wanted to use CUDA for another program so I tried updating the nvidia drivers/CUDA using these instructions:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... os-7-linux
[Unfortunately I only noticed afterwards that this was for CentOS 7.5 and above but I am running 7.3 of course.]

However, running nvcc --version still showed the old version of the driver (350) so I then tried the instructions at:
https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-insta ... index.html

But now unfortunately my BM Centos 7 installation will not even boot..
It says [Failed] Failed to start /etc/rd.d/rc.local Compatitbility; carries on a few steps (which are successful) then just stops at Gnome installation.
If I try to use the BM Centos 7 ISO to reinstall, the only option is "install with deletion of everything on the disk".

If I try to run the normal CentOS boot: CentoOS Linux (3.10.0-514-17.x86-64) 7 Core then the boot gets as far as:
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager
[ OK ] Started Dynamic System Tuning Daemon
[ OK ] Started Virtualization daemon
[ OK ] Started Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
and it never gets beyond this.

If I run the Rescue boot it looks like it is going to boot (get the blue incrementing bars at the bottom of the screen) then get a screenful of [ OK ] messages, with one failed message
[Failed] Failed to start /etc/rd.d/rc.local Compatitbility.
See 'systemctl status rc-local.service' for details.
The boot carries on with 3 more [ OK ] messages in this order:
[ OK ] Started Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
[ OK ] Started Dynamic System Tuning Daemon
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager

then it stops booting at this point and goes no further.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a way to rectify this? Is there an option somewhere to reinstall the correct nvidia drivers from the BM ISO?
Any help would be greatly appreciated; I am a bit of a Linux newbie.

TIA.

Tom
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Thomas Dove

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Actually I noticed that there are two more lines of messages after the Failed message (trying to do a Rescue boot) and the Virtualization message is just before the failed message - the last 5 messages are:

[ OK ] Started Virtualization daemon.
[Failed] Failed to start /etc/rd.d/rc.local Compatitbility.
See 'systemctl status rc-local.service' for details.
Starting GNOME Display Manager ...
Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit ...
[ OK ] Started Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles.
[ OK ] Started Dynamic System Tuning Daemon.
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 pm

All you normally need to do, to install a newer NVIDIA driver on our 7.3 build, is to do an init 3 to get into text mode, and run the NVIDIA driver .run package from text mode.

You can't install the .run package with X running. That's why it's important to do the init 3 (as root) which shuts down the graphical environment and puts you in a text only mode.

It's also important to make sure the .run file is executable.

In the scenario you find yourself in now, if you do an Alt-F3 or Alt-F4, does that bring up a text login screen?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Thomas Dove

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Dwaine,

Thank you! Yes, indeed Alt-F3 does bring up a text login.

Although .. I don't know what to do from this point? Any tips would be much appreciated.

~~~~~~~~

One thing: now that I am logged in, if I do nvcc --version
a) it still shows the 2015 driver [I guess the old driver]
b) plus it shows 'Cuda compilation tools, release 7.5, V7.5.17'

Tom

Dwaine, thanks for your help; actually, I had it all backed up (my Resolve DB and other setups on that machine) so I just re-installed from the BM Resolve ISO and all is working fine now.
Last edited by Thomas Dove on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 5:18 pm

For Resolve, you don't care about CUDA tools. Don't mess with that. You just need a supported NVIDIA driver installed.

If you can get to a text login prompt with Alt-F3/F4, then login as root.

Then cd to wherever the NVIDA driver is, and run the installer.

When you get to the directory with the driver, do an ls to list the files.

If the driver is black, it's not in an executable mode and you'd need to do a chmod +x filename

Now another ls should show the driver as green. Now you can install it with:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-450.57.run

(or whatever your driver version is).

When it's done, reboot the system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve