Painless install on Linux Centos 7

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thomas Dove

Re: Painless install on Linux Centos 7

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 am

Dwaine,

Thanks for all the tips and help; all is working fine now.

Regards
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Peter Benson

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Wow. Although I have often expressed the desire to migrate away from Windows platform and get onboard with a Linux based installation of Resolve, let me be candid: Be er having tried a Linux OS installation, ever -- and despite past experience with Amiga computers decades ago, I feel quite intimidated after reading posts on related to "Painless Install" (sic) on Linux CentOS.

After 3 years hanging with Resolve, I get the sense that despite the fact it is the year 2020, Resolve is still tightly designed for an aged Linux variant, and thereby creates a daunting prospect for Newbies, desiring to set up a Resolve computer system, even on CentOS.

Anybody got any encouraging suggestions for where to start?
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Thomas Dove

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

Peter,

Despite my recent pain I am going to still stick with Resolve on Linux, with five vital lessons I have learned. If you are a newbie (like me) my advice is:
1) use the bundled Centos + Resolve ISO from BMD [which also has the Nvidia drivers]
2) never update Centos nor the many parts to it
3) never update the nvidia drivers (or think very carefully/know what you are doing beforehand)
4) do frequent [at least daily] backups of the Resolve diskdb database
5) do backups of the Downloads, Desktop and any other folder you have added stuff into.

Of course you will have an old version of Centos: but for me this doesn't matter - the machine is dedicated to video editing, and even the network connection is usually off so 'old' doesn't matter.
It all works reliably, is fast etc. why does it matter that the version of Centos is old?

Sure, add things like FFPMEG and other software but don't update or mess with Centos in any way [apart from Grub to do a dual boot option with Windows if you need that **], nor with the nvidia drivers [unless you are having issues].

So, my experience is that if you use 1) it is painless. BUT BUT if you do 2) or 3) and you are a newbie then the installation breaks and you have to re-install.
HOWEVER, if you have done 4) and 5) then it can all be recovered quite quickly - fortunately I had done this so it was no problem re-installing from scratch and getting everything functioning correctly again.

** if you want to know how to do a dual boot Centos/Windows look at:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dua ... tos-7.html
This goes step by step Windows then Centos install. If you look 3/4 way down the page 'Fix GRUB2' it tells you how to make the system dual boot - all straightforward.

Hope this helps

Tom
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

marcobubke

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:33 pm

I installed Resolve with on a Linux machine with Radeon VII and Ubuntu 20.04. Why not Cent OS? Because it missed some crucial drivers. Actually I ask myself if flatpak would work for Davinci Resolve. Except for the kernel everything is fixed. All the environment would be controlled by Blackmagic, so I think it could work.

emiliogonzalezjunior

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:44 pm

A flatpak version of davinci resolve would be great
Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Intel core i7 7700k - 64db 2666mhz DDR4 - GTX 1080ti 11gb - 24tb raid 5 - 2x 500gb SSD raid 0 (cache & optimize media).

Thomas Dove

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi,

Could someone from BMD pls provide the link to download the latest bundled Centos + Resolve ISO from BMD?
(I have tried searching on the BMD site but can't find it - the Resolve downloads are easy to find but not the Centos+Resolve ISO)

Thanks

Tom

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 8:54 pm

The link to the ISO is always in the Linux_Installation_Instructions PDF that is part of the Resolve Linux release download.

This is the most current version:

https://downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... OS_7.3.iso

Note that this can only be installed from a DVD and that the computer can not have any onboard graphics enabled.

If you want something newer than CentOS 7.3, and more installation flexibility, I highly recommend Seth Goldin's CentOS/Resolve build process. He currently has a process for CentOS 7.8 and 8.2:

https://github.com/sethgoldin/install-d ... lve-centos
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Thomas Dove

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Dwaine,

Thanks for the quick answer, much appreciated!

Regards,

Tom

BMNewb

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:17 pm

I have a MOTU M2 soundcard and know that newer Linux kernels support it. Since CentOS tends to run older kernels "for security and stability" it would appear that those of us with newish hardware are SOL. My NVIDEA graphics card is also on the newer side, RTX 2070, mini. Would CentOS function on my machine?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:51 pm

No problem using an RTX2070 in Linux (including CentOS), long as you have an adequate driver.

In Resolve 16.2.7, we now use CUDA 11. This requires a 450.66 or higher NVIDA driver on Linux.

Resolve on CentOS Linux can send sound out through various sound devices using ALSA.

I can't say how outputting sound through a sound device might work on distro's other than RHEL/CentOS.

Resolve on Linux currently does not support getting sound into Resolve from such a device.
Dwaine Maggart

Perry Mitchell

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 pm

I have been rereading this long strand since my 'new' linux build has taken a back seat for a year! The Resolve software has much progressed but I see from my download today that it is still based upon CentOS 7.3 for the BMD ISO.
Does this mean that I still cannot (with that ISO) mix internal Intel graphics with an Nvidia GPU for processing?
If that is true, can somebody please suggest the best OS to use to get that capability? The machine is dedicated to Resolve and I am happy to then lock it out from any updates beyond Resolve itself and any dependencies. I have the Studio version, with a Mac dongle.
I am much attracted to Seth's install routine.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Intel graphics is not supported in Linux by Resolve.

You never want to mix GPU types in Resolve anyway, so this should not be a concern, if you have an NVIDIA GPU.

It should only concern Linux folks that only have Intel graphics. And in that case, Resolve is not going to work.
Dwaine Maggart

Perry Mitchell

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 pm

I am an engineer with an annoying habit of wanting to know 'why?'! I also enjoy constructing machines in a penny pinching manner that makes use of stuff that others don't want. One idea that surfaced was to use Nvidia ex bitcoin mining processors. They can be had for little money compared to gaming GPUs and even more so compared to the proper 'maths' processors that 'they' would like us to buy. The cheapest ones are 'headless' (no video out) but I thought no problem - just use the built-in Intel video for the GUI. So it turns out this is (officially from BMD) a non starter. So what I want to know is:
1) Is it simply that BMD have written out this possibility in their Resolve code? or
2) Is it that their version of CentOS 7.3 does not include the requisite drivers? and thus
3) Can this possibility be had by using another linux version?
As I understand it there are all manner of issues (like Open CL/GL) precluding using Intel GPUs for processing but surely this doesn't apply to use purely as a screen driver?

As an aside - my Resolve use was motoring along nicely on my old MacPro desktop until Apple decided it didn't like Nvidia so much (or vice versa) that I couldn't update past High Sierra with my GTX980. This was no great shakes (to me) until BMD decreed that I HAD to update the OS if I wanted to use the latest Resolve, so I had to replace the Nvidia GPU with an AMD unit. This prompted the interest in building a linux system.
I thus will probably use the redundant GTX980 in my linux build so that the 'official' BMD system is at least now possible. Nevertheless - my engineering curiosity begs me to ask the above questions.
I beg your indulgence.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve