I lost my projects after upgrade to studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

djnuno

I lost my projects after upgrade to studio

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello
I upgraded from Lite to Davinci Resolve Studio, after the update when i open Davinci my project that i was working disappear from the home menu.
I found the project (project.db) inside this location (see below) but i cant open it, and i need to finish the project to my client.
Anybody can help me?
Thanks

Name: Project.db

Size: 327 053 312 bytes (327,1 MB on disk)

Where: /Users/nunoimac/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveLite/Data/Library/Application Support/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Users/guest/Projects/NAU PALACIO GOVERNADOR v3

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: I lost my projects after upgrade to studio

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

It appears you are using Apple App Store versions of Resolve. Or at least the free version was from the App Store.

App Store versions of Resolve store the database in a different location from non-App Store Resolve. And the free and Studio versions of App Store Resolve each have unique database locations.

Installing Resolve Studio from the App Store or the BMD web site, will not remove or affect the free App Store version. So the simplest solution is just to run the free App Store version of Resolve, and Export the projects you need from that database, and then Import them into Studio.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Matt Stephanson

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Does this work going from free v15 to v15 Studio?
I am currently drowning in tears after upgrading to the studio version.
I just bought it today, and quickly uninstalled the free version, and installed the studio version of 15.2.2.
I'm on a mac 10.13.6 and am hoping I can reconnect to about 6 projects that were there earlier today.

I am probably toast, but flinging out a hopefully saving throw . . .
Thanks!
:|

Matt Stephanson

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 5:31 am

Ok, I did manage to relink things. The trick was finding the real folder.
If you're going through this, just don't panic. Keep looking through your system for the folder. You'll find it and then you can point Resolve to it. It worked like black magic!
The one strange thing was that my folder was located in my guest account, not in admin. Oh well, it worked.
By the way, the studio version is just awesome and a HUGE, worthwhile upgrade to the free version, which is stupidly functional in its own right!
:oops:
:D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 am

I'm glad you sorted it.

I'll also note that App Store versions of Resolve, store the Disk database project info in a location in the users Library folder. The location is different for the Studio and free App Store versions. The bottom line being, if you had an App Store version installed, and you installed a version from the BMD web site, it will not see the App Store versions projects. But you can Connect to the App Store Disk database, as long as you know where it is.

And, if you deleted the App Store version(s) from the Applications folder after installing the BMD web site version, you have not lost that project data. Just reinstall whichever App Store version you had, and your App Store project data will still be there.

From within the App Store Resolve, you can see the location of the Disk database by opening the Resolve Project Manager window, exposing the Database list, then clicking the i Info button at the top. You'll see the path to the data. You can hover over the path to see the full path name.
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 11:35 am

Hi,

My project files disappeared. I had a problem with updating DaVinci Studio app via appstore. I delated the app 17.2 then installed a newer version17.3. Unfortunately, all my projects are gone. Is there is any chance to recover them? I'm new to mac and I had no idea that uninstalling the app might delate projects files as well.
I will be very glad for your help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 pm

For some reason, your message didn't appear until this afternoon.

What version of Resolve were you running before you upgraded?

And was it the free version, or Studio version?

And was it the BMD web site version or an App Store version?
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 pm

I understand, technology sometimes is messing with us.

I was using the 17.2 studio version thru the app store, I couldn't update it for some reason, I click delete app and I download thru the app store 17.3 also the studio version.

I operate on a new mac pro M1 chip.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 3:47 am

That should not have caused an issue. Are you sure you weren't using the free App Store version, and then installed the App Store Studio version?

If you did that, the projects would be missing, because the App Store free version Disk database location is different from the App Store Studio version.

If that were the case, you could install the free App Store version again. It's not a problem to have both the free and Studio App Store versions installed at the same time.

If you then see your projects in the free App Store version, you could make a database Backup of that.

Then launch the App Store Studio version and Restore the database backup into that.
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 pm

I am 100% sure.

I have free version too, I made the update and project are working perfect.

So this is a separate problem with the studio version, so my question is when I deleted from app store studio version 17.2 my database and project disappear? If there is any way to recover them? I would try to install the same older version from the app store but it is impossible.

wojtilar

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am

My question is only about the studio version I have
summing up:
1) I worked on 17.2 (installed using AppStore on mac pro M1) version and make few projects
2) I try to install new version 17.3 ( also using appstore) it didn't work
3) I uninstall 17.2 like usually uninstall any app, just one click
4) I install 17.3 open it, there were no database no projects
5) I spend many hours to find those files

My question is is it possible to find those database with project files somewhere?
I really need it for my work, so I will be glad for quick respond.

Regards

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:41 pm

The project files that are stored in the Disk database are all called Project.db

Each of the Project.db files is stored in a folder with the project name.

So you can search for Project.db. The problem is that the Mac search utility won't look inside container folders, which is where the default App Store Disk databases are located.

So try a search for Project.db and see what shows up. If that doesn't find what you are looking for, you'll need a third party search app. I use EasyFind, which is a free app. If you use that, be sure to select the Include Package Contents and Invisible Files and Folders option.
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm

The files are gone. No track of them. The way how it works is delating the app you lose all your database and projects, very smart. My projects are gone.

wojtilar

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm

So the resualt of investigation is that there is no database no project files.
Eather it was related automatically when I related the app or replace when I installed new version.
There is folder CacheClip fool of files, but I understand there is no option to restore projcet/database from there?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 5:28 pm

The database is not stored with the App Store app in Applications. Deleting the App Store DaVinci Resolve.app or DaVinci Resolve Studio.app from the Applications folder does not touch the associated Disk database.

If the files are missing, it's due to something other than deleting the app from the Applications folder.

Correct that you cannot restore projects from cache files.

Going forward, for important projects, especially ones lasting more than a day, it's a very good idea to do a Project Export at the end of each day, and keep the .drp files in a separate location from the system drive. Then if something bad happens, like Resolve crashes and corrupts a project, or the system drive becomes damaged, you have backups to fall back on. It's also a good idea to use the Project Backups option in Resolve Preferences - User - Project Save and Load.
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm

hmm, that's interesting.
So maybe when installing a new version of the studio from the app store it overwrites the database? So I have an empty database and my projects are gone. I don see another explanation. I Literally close the project, uninstall the old version install a new one and everything disappeared.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm

No, installing a new App Store Studio version would not touch the database. It would automatically be connected to the default Studio database location, in one ever existed.

Only in the case of moving from the free App Store version to the App store Studio version, or visa versa would the projects appear to be gone, since the database locations for those 2 versions are in different places.

Or, if you have App Store Studio installed, and then installed the BMD web site version of Studio. Since again, the default database locations of those 2 versions are different.

Did you use a third party app to look for the Project.db files? If so, what did you use?
Dwaine Maggart

wojtilar

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:23 pm

It is logical what you are saying. This is how it should be.

I use the program you recommended. I found all the project files on my computer. Only the one from app studio 17.2 is missing. So, I am sure it is not working another way than it should be. Maybe you can simulate this scenario. Maybe because of a big update in app studio 17.3 something changed. I spend hours looking for solutions, search everywhere. I have to give up and start the project all over again.

Please, simulate this scenario and check it for another user.

Cheers!

dukeace

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 pm

PLEASE HELP!

I upgraded to V.17 and all of my projects are gone.

I went through the User, App Data, and found them as .db projects but they don't have the dates and numbers.

I managed to get them back into the program but its just the file name.

So I need to know where the actual program is because the files are right here.

I didn't export any backups, but I always saved my projects.

I'm using the free version on PC

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Please provide a Resolve log file. You can make that from the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve