Final Cut Pro 7 to DaVinci Resolve Project Converters

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mr_questor

Final Cut Pro 7 to DaVinci Resolve Project Converters

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm

First, is DaVinci Resolve compatible with Mac OS High Sierra?

Next, after upgrading my laptop to High Sierra, my Final Cut Pro 7 will not work anymore. As a result, I did not upgrade my desktop since I still had Final Cut Pro 7 and FCP 7 project files on an external drive. Before I upgrade my desktop to High Sierra, I need to know if there are any converters that I can use to convert my FCP 7 projects to DaVinci Resolve.

Please advise as soon as you are able.

paulgolden

Re: Final Cut Pro 7 to DaVinci Resolve Project Converters

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 am

You will need to open your FCP7 project in Final Cut 7 and export an XML of your project before Resolve (or any other NLE) can open it. FCP7 no longer runs in High Sierra, so you will need to find another machine with a lower operating system and FCP7. There are no other programs that open FCP7 projects natively, so you will need to open it in FCP7 and export an XML.

You can install El Capitan on an external drive and install FCP7 there if you have the original install discs. Or if you have a time machine backup from before you installed High Sierra, you can restore your "pre-High Sierra" boot disk to an external volume and open FCP7 there.

If you have FCPX, once you've exported an XML from FCP7, you can use SendToX from Intelligent Assistance http://intelligentassistance.com/sendtox.html convert the XML into something FCPX or Premiere can read.

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 6:40 am

Do you really need High Sierra desperately?
We experienced quite a few problems with it and went back to Sierra.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.1.1 and Fusion Studio 17, macOS 10.15.7
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM
2018 Mac mini 16 GB RAM, eGFX Breakway RX 580 MacOS 10.14.6

Sam Steti

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 am

Hey,
You'll find tons of online recommendations from FCP7 users to Resolve or Premiere, though most of them (including me) must probably have switched months/years ago...
Yes, Sierra is the last possible OS for it; I still have FCP7 "in case of anything" in the beginning (the first 8 months I'd say) but I didn't launch it for a great while now...

So yes, the XML way is the only way you have to find your timeline in Resolve, but be aware that depending on what you have on your timelines, things are going to be more or less easy/painful : transitions, vfx, time remaps, titles, ... : just try to make your own mind about what's an issue or not for your workflow.
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap and High Sierra, Resolve 15.3 Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve