Resolve 14.3: XAVC & AVC-Intra glitches on playback & render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

marcocordero

Resolve 14.3: XAVC & AVC-Intra glitches on playback & render

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 4:46 am

Mac Pro 5,1
(2) 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
GUI GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Resolve GPU: (2) nVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti
Resolve Studio 14.3
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

I've been working on this machine for a few years, with the occasional graphics card upgrade, and on my current project I've been seeing glitches that I never saw before. It only happens when working with codecs like XAVC, AVC-Intra, etc. This happens on playback as well as render, and it is somewhat random. If I see a glitch and decide to play that particular clip on loop, the glitch goes away.

I have also been seeing this on a CentOS machine also running Resolve 14.3, with a Quadro P4000 as GUI GPU and (2) Quadro P6000 as Resolve GPU's. This leads me to think we are dealing with a software rather than hardware issue.

A couple notes:

- As you play back the sequence, it tends to happen on the first frame of a shot that is XAVC or AVC-Intra. More often than not it's the first frame, but other frames occasionally glitch as well.
- It doesn't happen on every single XAVC/AVC-Intra shot every single time; it's random.
- After rendering a 60-minute sequence and performing QC, there are usually around 10-20 glitch frames total.
- If you play the clip on a loop, the glitch goes away once it has played through fully, at least for the moment.
- The project is set to ACEScc. The glitches are not dependent on IDT or ODT from what I can tell.
- Exact same behavior on my Mac as on the CentOS system I described above. Both projects are ACEScc and incidentally use the same mix of codecs: Sony F55 Raw, X-OCN (both of which have zero glitches), and XAVC, AVC-Intra, which are prone to random glitches.
- Throttling the render down to slow speeds doesn't seem to help.
- This is causing us to render, then QC, then manually patch the glitch frames as we don't have another workaround.

Here are some samples of what the glitches look like:

Glitch1.jpeg
Glitch1.jpeg (205.34 KiB) Viewed 738 times

Glitch3.jpeg
Glitch3.jpeg (266.17 KiB) Viewed 738 times

marcocordero

Re: Resolve 14.3: XAVC & AVC-Intra glitches on playback & re

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Any thoughts?

sfcl33t

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 pm

We are having a similar issue with AVC Intra, except we cannot replicate on Linux. Our Linux boxes are on an earlier version of 14 though. We tried updating NVIDIA and CUDA, updated the OS to 10.12 (we were on 10.11).

Our glitches are not over the full frame but on sections of the frame when we try rendering a DPX.

Will try a lower version of 14 and post an update.

sfcl33t

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Posting an update: Works like a charm on the Mac for us now. We tried a huge combination of drivers and versions and OS releases, narrowed it down to this:

Nvidia Web Driver 387.05.05.25f01

Cuda Driver 387.128

Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.9.11

OSX 10.12.6 Sierra build 16G29

To check your OSX build version, in terminal, run "cat /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist"
You may install to whatever version you have available and run an App Store update. Versions later than 16G29 may not cause issues, but we have not tested.

DaVinci Resolve Studio 14.3.0.014

Installation order that worked for us:

1) OSX 10.12.6, run App Store Update if needed to get to build 16G29
2) Nvidia Drivers
3) CUDA Drivers
4) BlackMagic Desktop Video
5) Davinci Resolve Studio 14.3

Hope this helps (on the mac at least).

Return to DaVinci Resolve