iPhone + Color Checker + DaVinci Resolve = ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

passenger19

iPhone + Color Checker + DaVinci Resolve = ?

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 am

I took some video with my iPhone and brought it into DaVinci. The raw footage looked fairly good already but I wanted to see if I get things looking even more true-to-life. I used a shot of my ColorChecker Passport with the Color Match feature - but didn't get the results I had hoped for.

The image as a whole is too red. If becomes very obvious if you can compare the video and the subject side-by-side. In this case I'm looking at a pine table that appears orange in real life. In my raw video, it appears a little more yellow - but not bad. After color matching though it is leaning towards rose-gold.

I've tried various combinations of gamma, color space and color temp - trying to see if maybe I just wasn't using the right settings. Nothing gave me a look that appeared natural or accurate to my eyes. Typically, I stayed with combinations of sRGB and Rec.709 and a gamma of 6500k - though I did experiment with other settings.
  • What color match settings should I be using with an iPhone?
  • Generally speaking... what results should I expect from using the color match feature with a color checker? (Ultimately I want to achieve true-to-life colors - no enhancements)

Pavel Lavrov

Re: iPhone + Color Checker + DaVinci Resolve = ?

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 am

Are you using calibrated screen?
Also using a phone camera might not be the best idea to get true to live colors, as iphone does a lot of deciding for you especially with default app.
I would suggest something like micro cinema camera or a pocket cinema camera, and then play around with raw files...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Vin Muster

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:01 am

Someone has a question and the first answer is basically "Buy other equipment."

I was also searching for that topic before. Although I maybe cannot give you the answer you're hoping for, I can tell you maybe why some shots are looking accurate, while your test shot does not look ok. I read that the iPhone is using multiple Color Spaces like Rec.709 and DCI-P3 (which makes things looking more red btw.) and switches how it wants to give you the best result automatically.

You can read in depth here: displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm#Color_Management

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Spend few bucks and get "filmic pro" app, that will help in the iPhone side to have a better control over the camera
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

passenger19

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks, guys! What a great tip - to use a third party app to get back some control and consistency in my shots. This has definitely helped. The difference is massive.

Now - I'm still noticing some variations between shots. So I guess my only remaining question is: what should I expect from the color match feature? Assuming that I use the same phone, the same app, and the same app settings, and I take a new shot with my Color Checker each time the lighting changes (e.g. outside, inside, different room, different time of day), should I expect DaVinci resolve to give me equal coloring across all shots (same RGB values at equal chroma/saturation, same hue values at varying chroma/saturation)?

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 pm

And then, don't expect too much from the use of the color matching.
Rather use a decent screen and trust your eyes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:41 am

I started using color checker some time ago and noticed that comparing how much time it took for each shot to setup the colorchecker patern in resolve, plus manualy corrected the results was way way way way longer then just dialing in by hand/eye.
Stopped using it that way. Only in some strange special colored ligting cases i found it handy to have resolve have a first go at it.
I still use it during shooting , but in resolve not as a configured match source but just as a visual reference.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Patrick Strenk

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 4:08 pm

One other thing that might help is to ensure the iphone is not in Auto White Balance mode as you might be trying to color match a moving target. If you have Filmic Pro then you can lock the white balance for the shot much like a normal camera. The iphone is a great camera but it does have its limits. Good luck!
Patrick Strenk
Editor | Colorist | VFX

WIN 10 PRO X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18.6.2 | Desktop Vid 12.5.1 | Mini and SE Panel | Intensity Pro 4K | 7980XE 18 core | 128GB RAM | RTX3090 | SSD OS drive | 2GB NVMe cache drive | 4x6TB RAID

Cary Knoop

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 4:39 pm

passenger19 wrote:I took some video with my iPhone and brought it into DaVinci. The raw footage looked fairly good already but I wanted to see if I get things looking even more true-to-life. I used a shot of my ColorChecker Passport with the Color Match feature - but didn't get the results I had hoped for.

The image as a whole is too red. If becomes very obvious if you can compare the video and the subject side-by-side. In this case I'm looking at a pine table that appears orange in real life. In my raw video, it appears a little more yellow - but not bad. After color matching though it is leaning towards rose-gold.

I've tried various combinations of gamma, color space and color temp - trying to see if maybe I just wasn't using the right settings. Nothing gave me a look that appeared natural or accurate to my eyes. Typically, I stayed with combinations of sRGB and Rec.709 and a gamma of 6500k - though I did experiment with other settings.
  • What color match settings should I be using with an iPhone?
  • Generally speaking... what results should I expect from using the color match feature with a color checker? (Ultimately I want to achieve true-to-life colors - no enhancements)

Have you considered the possibility that the color checker is fine, Resolve is fine, the matching is fine but that an iPhone is simply not a good device to shoot color accurate videos?

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:13 am

Cary Knoop wrote:Have you considered the possibility that the color checker is fine, Resolve is fine, the matching is fine but that an iPhone is simply not a good device to shoot color accurate videos?

This is a very wise observation.

For something like an iPhone, I'd throw the charts away and just bang on the images and make them look reasonable. The o.p. should be warned that I believe the iPhone does not shoot at a consistent speed -- it's a variable speed H.264 format that bounces around, because it's a very cheap camera without a locked sync source (which is true for a lot of cameras like this).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve