Pen Tablet with resolve 14...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tony Pitts

Pen Tablet with resolve 14...

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 11:05 am

Hi Team,

Just wanted your thoughts about using a pen tablet with DR. So far been using the famous pen tablet Wacom. it went south a while back and now considering get a replacement. As i don’t do this (editing) for a living anymore (7/8th retired) and don’t fancy spending top dollar i picked this large but relative cheap possible replacement.

http://www.gaomon.net/Pen_Tablet/GT/M106K.html

Had a quick look in the forum but most of the topics are a bit old and many using DResolve 12. (ish). Any input on on this subject would be much appreciated. I know from experience, you can read reviews till the cows come home but unless its in your hands and one is working with it, only then the product will tell the truth. Working with a mouse for 10 hours is not much fun for RSI either. Love the forum. Love what BM is doing with resolve. Only wished i had resolve 14 running in 1995!

With thanks in advance for any help.

Luke Holzmann

Re: Pen Tablet with resolve 14...

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi, Tony.

I started editing with a pen back in college in my Final Cut Pro days. I loved using the tablet for everything -- even playing World of Warcraft.

But, for me, I noticed that Windows started dropping the ball with a functional pen driver/ux in Windows 7, so I unplugged my Wacom.

I still used one at work, and it was great.

But then Windows 8 came along and thoroughly destroyed the pen features.

I got a new Wacom tablet at work a few weeks ago when they upgraded me to Windows 10, and after a couple frustrating weeks, it's mostly sorta working.

I bought myself a Wacom Pen & Touch at a craft store a year ago (they were discontinuing it, so it was dirt cheap). I've only plugged it in a few times, but I was doing some sketches for a video I was working on earlier this week and switched into Resolve and it worked fine.

Here's my take:
1. All the problems I've had with my pen seem to be related to Windows and not Resolve.
2. I customize my keyboard pretty heavily -- WASD for Slice, back, stop, forward like a video game, and F/G for jump back a cut/jump forward, etc -- so I find myself on my keyboard a lot and so the pen is not as nice because I have to go pick it up and put it back in place, whereas the mouse is where I left it.

...all that to say, in my experience: If you like using a pen and it works in your OS, it will work great in Resolve. I even mapped Middle Clip to the top "back" button on my pen and it copies grades from clips like a champ [smile].

Hope that helps!

~Luke
Studio 18.6.4 build 6 | Windows 10 Pro | Driver 551.23 Studio

WORK
1. 2080Ti; Ryzen 9 3900X; 32GB
2. 3080; Ryzen 9 5950X; 64GB
Blackmagic Cloud; Media NAS; M.2 Boot

HOME
1080Ti; Threadripper 1950X; 32GB
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

Dermot Shane

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 12:30 am

no experience with anything other than the Wacom... but i do keep my kb tucked away, and use it mainly for nameing files, really there's not much more use for it with my setup

that said there's software designed around a wacom... Flame, DS Pablo come to mind

and there's software that has made significant steps to make a wacom intuitive, Nucoda and Baselight come to mind there

and there's software that has made zero attempts to use a wacom tablet, unfortunatly Resolve comes to mind there....

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 am

My personal opinion is that wacoms are good for what they are designed to do and that is draw/retouch/paint/design etc. I have a huge A3 size wacom for years and it never even came up to use it for editing / grading. More a burden then any help.
A proper designed grading/editing console together with you occasional mouse and keyboard is all i need.
You can force to use any input device on anything, but it does not make much sense all the time.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to DaVinci Resolve